The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 12, 2001, 02:16 PM   #1
ATTICUS

Sorry, I forgot about the Smithy section and posted this on the semiauto thread yesterday instead. "I took the advice of the pro's here on TFL and removed the mag safety on my BHP practical. It did improve the trigger considerably. Now I'm trying to replace the trigger spring with a Wolf spring, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. I tried to tap out what appears to be a pin holding it in but it won't budge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

The pin that I'm referring to is not the one going through the frame. I have the trigger out of the pistol, and the mag safety has been removed, but now I can't get the spring loose from the trigger itself. The gunsmith that I usually go to is very ill and can't take on any new jobs right now, so I really would like to figure this one out (with some help that is). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old April 13, 2001, 07:17 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Atticus, the pin is retained by the firing pin spring. Move it out of it's groove and then try it. If it still won't move, I'd recommend you wait until your smith can look at it or go to another. George
Old April 13, 2001, 09:19 AM   #3
ATTICUS

Thanks sir, I'll take another look at it tonight.
Old April 13, 2001, 09:58 AM   #4
Tango 1

Guys I just registered when I saw this Post.
I have a little exp. in this matter I thought I would share.
I Removed the Mag Safety on an Argentine HP I had. No problems doing it.
Heres where the fun started for me. I Have one of those Israeli Security BHP that was surplused out. I decided I would remove the Mag Safety on it, no biggie right.
I have broke 2 punches on this thing its half out so far. This pin is the toughest I have ever run into. I have a new replacement pin. I have beat heated cussed and it barely has moved. I even stuck the exposed part in a vise and managed to shred it. Its a work in progress. I just thought I would share that.
Old April 13, 2001, 02:08 PM   #5
ATTICUS

Ouch!! If I have that much trouble with mine, I'll just learn live with it the way it is.
Old April 13, 2001, 08:06 PM   #6
VIEJO

Tango,
I sure don't mean to sound condescending, but did you remember to drive the pin out from right to left? The pin is tapered.

Viejo

"After we have arranged for our survival, we can discuss sociology."
-Jeff Cooper
Old April 13, 2001, 09:18 PM   #7
Joe Portale

Viejo is right. I did the same thing with my FN HP. Drove me nutty for a day or so. Also, when I oriented the pin the right way, it still wouldn't push out. It needed a liberal application of penetrating oil and a over night soaking to free it up.

Good luck

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul