The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 30, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
EMN89

Marlin 1895 sbl 45-70.

My gf just told me that I'm getting a marlin 1895 sbl in 45-70 as an early Christmas present tomorrow! My question is what would be a good scope to put on it and what ammo would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Eric.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have no Idea as far as the scope goes.

For ammo. I would suggest starting with the standard pressure ammo first. Leave the Buffalo Bore magnum stuff for the elephant hunters.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
EMN89

I was thinking about a fixed 4 power scope of some sort, as far as ammo i was thinking about probably the remington green box or the leverevolution.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4
CCCLVII

I have the Caballas leverevolution scope. While its kind of cheep (both in price and cheaply made)but it works outstanding for the leverevolution ammo.

At the range I can set a target out to 300 yards (very long shot for a 45-70) and do well hitting it
Old November 30, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

If you can stand the non-traditional look, a red dot sight makes a great scope for a .45-70 or any other hunting rifle chambered for a caliber that's typically used at shorter ranges.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
jaysouth

Put a quality receiver sight like Williams or Skinner and learn to use it. You will be very well served within the range of this rifle.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:37 PM   #7
WV_gunner

Horandy LeveRevolution ammo.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:59 PM   #8
mehavey

See what I recommend (and have) on mine...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...53&postcount=8

...with these results:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...ml#post1065588

Leupold Mark AR 1x4

That combo makes a very effective 200yard woodchuck rifle here in NoVA.
(They charge if only wounded, don'cha know)

Last edited by mehavey; November 30, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
RickE

Great GF! I have a 1948 Marlin 336 with a fixed Burris 4x Look similar to the early post with the pics of his Leupold. Been great for years. I am spoiled with the quality of the earlier Marlins, as there is no comparison. I want a 45-70, but was under impressed with what Remington has done to the brand, are they produced in China? It seems so. I hope it works out well for you.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:19 PM   #10
EMN89

I would rather a regular scope, the leopold was one that I was thinking about and will probably get.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Axelwik

Quote:
Put a quality receiver sight like Williams or Skinner and learn to use it. You will be very well served within the range of this rifle.
^^This

These rifles work well with peep sights. Far less bulky and lighter than a scope. I have a Williams receiver sight and fiber-optic front sight on my Guide Gun. Works great even with my old eyes.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:48 PM   #12
mehavey

As previously noted in Post #8:

Quote:
- The stock iron sights weren't too bad, but I put a WilliamsFP peep on it to establish load preferences.
- (then my mid 60's eyes finally said "...put a lo-pwr Leupold on it, stupid...."
That turned it from a deer rifle to a woodchuck getter out to a considerable distance.

(Still, I also shoot the Rolling Block and the Highwall using an MVA Vernier tang/globe front. But rifles like that are "sporting." The Marlin is all business.)
Old December 1, 2012, 12:08 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

While all the traditionalists are going to say a peep sight is the best way to go, when I had my 1895, it wore an old Weaver 2.5x Post/crosshair scope.

When I disposed of the rifle as excess to my needs, I kept the scope. Post reticles are hard to find these days!
Old December 1, 2012, 12:35 AM   #14
EMN89

I have already made my mind up that I'm putting a scope on it, my eyes aren't the best and i can't see open sights in low light conditions so I much prefer a scope that's why I am thinking of putting a low power scope most likely a leupold on the rifle.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:13 AM   #15
Jerry45

This is a cheaper scope but just to give you and idea. It's a 1-4 x 24 with long eye relief. And you can illuminate the mill dot cross-hairs either red or green. http://www.amazon.com/UTG-1-4x24-Rel...d_sim_sbs_sg_3 I have one on my 1895SBL. It's perfect for this rifle. Close up or out past 100 yards.

More info. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...tus=&mtrack=4m

They also make one with a circle dot radical. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...tus=&mtrack=4m

Last edited by Jerry45; December 1, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:37 AM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

I'd hold off on a scope till you make sure the gun's functional.
If it's built well enough to keep, you can move on to the next step.
Denis
Old December 1, 2012, 04:27 AM   #17
mete

A good ghost ring peep sight works very well. My friends that use that are very happy with it as it's fast and accurate.
I like to use premium ammo especially Corbon DPX with the 300 gr Barnes or the Winchester 300 gr Partition. Less recoil with the 300 .I assume the game in VA will just be deer but in any case it's been rare for me to need any more than one round !!
Old December 1, 2012, 05:14 AM   #18
EMN89

Yes I will be hunting deer with the rifle, I know the 45-70 is over kill but I have always wanted one for some reason. I was thinking of trying the 325 grain leverevolution ammo, I have heard of feeding issues with them but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a box.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:34 AM   #19
Chowder

I have a Leupold VX-2 2-7 on mine and love it. I should mention my marlin is a .44 mag but both are shortish range rifles.

I have since shrank those groups to about 2" at 100 yards when I am having a good day, the scope makes it a lot easier of course. I liked this VX-2 so much I got a VX-1 Scope for my new marlin XT-22.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:00 PM   #20
tahunua001

my brother in law uses a redfield revolution 2-7x on his with see through rings so you can still use the peep sights. it weighs half a ton when it's fully loaded but man it's a great brush gun.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:46 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

^^This

These rifles work well with peep sights. Far less bulky and lighter than a scope. I have a Williams receiver sight and fiber-optic front sight on my Guide Gun. Works great even with my old eyes.
Same here-and my seventy year old eyes have always needed a lot of help in terms of optical correction. I'm currently on the edge of having cataracts removed so, hopefully, I'll see better as I get older.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:52 PM   #22
dgludwig

Quote:
my brother in law uses a redfield revolution 2-7x on his with see through rings so you can still use the peep sights.
In terms of getting a good cheek weld when using a scope, there are few things I detest more than "see-thru" rings. In my experience, they make an already unwieldy scope even more unwieldy, not to mention the neck-craning needed to get a good sight picture. I'd recommend a pivot mount (like those made by Weaver) instead of see-thru rings if one ever feels it necessary to access open sights in lieu of the scope in the event the scope becomes unusable for whatever reason.

Last edited by dgludwig; December 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:33 PM   #23
Jerry45

Word to the wise... it's a 45/70.... you want a L O N G eye relief.

Mine feeds Leverlotion just fine. I used it while waiting for my reloading supplies. If you decide to reload try some 300 gr HP. Also note Hornady 45/70 brass is shorter than standard.

When you get tired of the 6 lb. gritty stock trigger go to Midway USA and type in the search, 1985 trigger. It'll bring you to the Wild West Trigger, also known as The Happy Trigger. It brought mine down to crisp 2 lbs. I would have linked it for you but I'm on my phone and don't know if I can or how.

Last edited by Jerry45; December 1, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Chowder

Quote:
When you get tired of the 6 lb. gritty stock trigger go to Midway USA and type in the search, 1985 trigger. It'll bring you to the Wild West Trigger, also known as The Happy Trigger. It brought mine down to crisp 2 lbs. I would have linked it for you but I'm on my phone and don't know if I can or how.
I can second that! I have one on my 1894, I will get one for every Marlin I plan on buying in the future. The action was a little gritty when I bought it also and the guys at Wild West Guns in anchorage slicked it up like butter. I can't say enough positive things about Wild West Guns and there products.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:47 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Another recommend for the Trigger Happy Kit from WWG.