The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Jezz

Electronic Callers Vs Hand calls

Hi guys,

Are electronic callers as good as or better than hand calls?

I normally hunt foxes at night with the spotlight, as it is relatively effective and legal way to hunt here in Aus. but recently iv been getting back into calling foxes with hand callers ( button whistle and variations of a tin whistle as its known here) with mixed results, called a few up but not heaps, and i know there's plenty about the area.

Im looking into an electronic caller (something from Foxpro at this stage) to change things up so to speak. Has anyone noticed any increase in the numbers of foxes or other game, being called up by switching to an electronic caller? or should i just keep doing what im doing and save some $$?

I know some people who swear by electronic callers and others who wont go near them.

Thanks guys
Old October 17, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As long as the sound replicates that of a small wounded animal, I've found pretty much equal success. I use the hand-held more for convenience than any other reason...
Old October 17, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
603Country

I have an electronic caller that I use for Texas coyotes, though it isn't as good as the FoxPro. The caller did bring in some coyotes and bobcats, but I do better with hunting coyotes over bait (dead pigs). I'd love to try out a FoxPro, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that doesn't have a guarantee of success. Whatever you buy, be sure it comes with a remote that works from a good distance (100 yards at least).
Old October 17, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
huntinaz

I've sat behind Foxpro callers and we call dogs, cats, and fox. They absolutely do work, and from what I hear Foxpro customer service is outstanding if you have a problem.

However, I have a lot of success with hand calls as well. Tony Tebbe makes a great product in the TT Extreme (the orange one): http://www.predatoruniversity.com/customcalls.html For $17 shipped, I've called in dogs, cats, and fox. It's easy to blow and hits a pitch that flat out calls predators. It is my most productive hand call.

I like both, I will probably buy my own Foxpro with in the next year or two. I think one big advantage is the variety of sounds you can use. We have good luck with bird sounds for instance, that are hard to make on a hand call. But they cost more money, they use batteries, they are bigger to haul to the stand. They call predators and are solid products. You are getting what you pay for, in my opinion.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Hog Buster

In years past when foxes here weren’t protected quadrupeds we took many with only mouth calls. This was before the advent of electronic callers. Foxes are fairly easy to call and will respond readily to a wounded/dying rabbit sound, mouth call or electronic. Many times we lured foxes to within just a few feet of us.

I have a cousin who uses a Foxpro for coyotes and occasionally we call up a fox while working the coyotes. It seems to work well for foxes, but no better than a mouth call. On the other hand it seems to work better for the coyotes. Of course after a few calling sessions in the same area the coyotes get wise and don’t respond well. However the foxes seem to take a bit longer to get educated. Although your Aussie foxes may be quicker learners.

It’s my opinion that if you’re only going to call only foxes there’s not much benefit in using an electronic call.
Old October 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #6
tahunua001

I've only used an electronic call once and dont recall make or model but it was a predator call. we tried setting it up in a bush and hiding up slope a ways but the derned thing only had about 15 yard range for the remote and you could barely even hear it at that range, I cant see any animal hearing if they are miles away. this was my only experience with electronic calls but so far I'm not impressed.
Old October 18, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
rickyrick

All reports point to the foxpro as the best, But as the others say, its too expensive for the meager allowance that my wife gives me LOL
Old October 18, 2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Daryl

I actually use both, depending on the situation.

Stand set up is different with an e-caller than a mouth blown call, but both will get responses from predators.

In brushy country where a fox or coyote can circle downwind without being seen, I like an e-caller to get the sound away from me. That way, I can set up to get a shot at it when it circles. And here, heavily hunted coyotes will nearly always circle downwind. Heck, my airedales circle downwind to catch the scent of a coyote in the brush and find it easier.

In more open country, I use hand calls and leave an open area to the downwind side where I can see.

I'm pretty good with hand calls; better than most I've called with in my lifetime. But either call seems to get equal results, especially in the early season.

Later, when every coyote in the country could likely play back most popular sounds stored on e-callers, they don't pay as much attention to them. It pays to get creative at times.

Daryl
Old October 18, 2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Jezz

thanks for the reply's everyone

it seems to me the advantage of an electronic caller is it takes the human error of poor calling out of it. Although iv encountered plenty of foxes that come to my poor imitations of animals in distress

i do like the idea of placing a caller away from me 50- 75m/yards to keep the attention off me and on the sound, but looking a foxpros website it will cost me $300-400 to get one. which while im sure you get what you pay for, its still hard to justify when my $15 Tenterfield fox whistle will still call in a fox (not to mention the satisfaction you get by deceiving a fox by your own imitation)

still chances are ill bit the bullet so to speak and get an electronic caller at some stage down the track. there has to be a reason why Foxpro still exists right? must be doing something right
Old October 21, 2011, 12:40 PM   #10
GeauxTide

Since I got a FoxPro, I haven't put a call to my mouth.
Old October 24, 2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Daryl

Quote:
Since I got a FoxPro, I haven't put a call to my mouth.
I liken calling to trout fishing.

Some folks are happy to stick a worm on a hook, plunk it in the water, and wait for something to happen.

Others like to work a fly 'till they tease a trout into hitting it.

Just depends on the game one wants to play, and how they want to play it. Neither is wrong; just different, with different satisfactions.

Daryl