The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1
onewing

Feral Cat hydrostatic shock - slow motion

I got banned from a certain gun forum for posting this there so I guess I'm posting it here as a social experiment. I'm not sure if its a cat or because its in slow motion that people get their nickers in a knot, either demonstrates a very closed mind.

The story behind it is in the description on youtube. In summary I was setting up a high speed camera to capture bullets in flight and a feral cat that had been taking chickens from the farmhouse made an appearance. You can guess what happened next.

The video shows the hydrostatic shock imparted by the .22lr which I thought interesting since it was filmed at 600fps (typical video records at 30fps). This means you get smooth playback at 1/20th speed.

Heres the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKZrxkUbcHQ

Not sure how long it will last on youtube, seems to stir up too many emotions.
Old October 14, 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I see absolutely nothin' that don't belong on a gun (for the ballistics), huntin' (shot placement), farm (man protectin' his stocks) or conservation minded (invasive predator control) forum...

But you back up your claims at the end with your pens... If I had done the vid, the end clip of the pens would be the beginning of the cat shot parts...
thus qualifying the shot before anyone emotional in this aspect sees the results of predator control...

Something like *tile shot plays then you show pens and explain that you have had predation of your animals of late. Then it switches to the cat with a disclaimer that it is on that post above your animals and then you show the rest...

But that is just me... The man aggravated that I cannot force local jurisdictions to control (taxpayers pay big) or let me control the rampant populations of these vile invasive predators!!!

Brent
Old October 14, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
nice shot

cat

Just watched the video (laughed at the smiley face). I thought your video was in good taste for the relation to hunting / shooting / bullet effect. Sucks you got banned from another forum, but thats just life.

When you hit the animal, what was the exit wound like? Im asking because Im curious about what a .22 will do on an animal larger than a squirrel.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You get down to the nitty-gritty, shooting feral cats is as important as shooting a feral hog or even a deer, really.

Main thing with videos is not do a "drive-by" without some explanatory text.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
ZeroJunk

I don't care to watch that sort of thing, so I didn't.

Everybody has the same choice.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
MrWesson

Meh I dont have a feral cat problem so I wouldn't judge anyone for something I haven't delt with personally.

I have a few neighborhood cats that people left here. They are very friendly and don't bother me at all. Between me and my neighbor we got them fixed and just let them be.
Old October 14, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
rickyrick

While many of us understand why feral animals must be dealt with, I can also understand that some people may be upset with the video. I think that the video was done as tastefully as it could have been done.

However, it may have been wiser to demonstate the effect on a slab of brisket and kept the 'Fluffy' video for your own collection.

That being said, I noticed that you have other videos on youtube I may watch those too, I like slow-mo bullet videos
Old October 14, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Stressfire

Too bad, the cat was kind of cute. But when choosing between that and your livelihood or food source, cute only goes so far.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:30 PM   #9
C0untZer0

A cat came up to my aunt, looked like it was going to rub against her leg.. instead it attacked her, clawed her and bit her leg, and then climbed up to her rib cage before breaking off the attack. She was very cut up.

My neighbor feeds feral cats.

My kids are always trying pet the ferals as if they were regular house cats. I keep lecturing them on how they're dangerous. In my opinion, feeding feral animals on or around your living space is criminally stupid - maybe with the excetion of feeding birds and squirrels, but anything else is very dangerous and if my kids ever get attacked by these things, I am going to hold my neighbor at least partially responsible for the fact that they're here in the first place.

The urbanization of America has caused people to lose their common sense.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
markj

I shoot feral cats too. Down the road is a house on 13 acres is a rental. Each family that has rented it last 10 years has brought a cat or multiple cats, they dont pay the rent get kicked out leave the cats to fend fopr themselves. We shoot em eventually sad as it is. Neighbor and I are think9ing of buying the place and tear it down. Didnt pay all that money to live close to a rental.

One guy lit a fire in a trash can and then left, the fire burned up his 32 ft motor home..... he came bnack just as the fire dept was leaving....
Old October 14, 2011, 05:34 PM   #11
troopcom

Reminded me of a feral cat around my house I need to dispatch. As a matter of fact the video inspired me!
Old October 14, 2011, 09:52 PM   #12
GeauxTide

I've shot a lot of cats with 22LR HP and they always reacted violently on chest shots. You must've clipped the spine. I've never had an exit on a cat with a HP.
Old October 15, 2011, 12:02 PM   #13
Daryl

The video isn't my thing, so I didn't watch it.

But I'm not standing in judgement at all. I've dealt with many a feral in my days in the same way, and for the same reason.

I'm just not into watching videos of such things. I've seen the results of hydrostatic shock in many animals, so no need for a video.

Others can enjoy it as they will.

Daryl
Old October 15, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Geezerbiker

A big problem with feral cats is some dumb city folks think if they dump their unwanted cat out in the country it'll survive as a barn cat. I don't live out in the country anymore but I do recall this practice being a serious problem.

Tony
Old October 15, 2011, 12:34 PM   #15
Deja vu

most of the cats dumped off around here end up feeding the Coyotes and Wolves.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 15, 2011, 12:40 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any feral I get hold of becomes free (well one shell price) dog food for which ever dogs are behaving best today... They don't dig in like they do on rabbits but if I skin and gut the vile creature, they treat it like a raw steak!

Waste not Want not momma taught me!

Brent
Old October 15, 2011, 02:20 PM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:

I agree with this statment. Plus as another poster mentioned I've seen a ton of hydrostatic shock on small game. I love to shoot prairie dogs, it is one of the most fun things a guy can do with a rifle and 1000 rounds of ammunition. That said I don't care to watch videos of people shooting prairie dogs, it just doesn't give me the same enjoyment.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:25 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
it just doesn't give me the same enjoyment.
But herein lies the crux for me...

I "enjoy" hunting. I "enjoy" the actual kill if I did my job and I know I was humane and lost little or no meat.

I "enjoy" the harvest...

I also "enjoy" that control of native predators to a sustainable population can take some pressure off my game species...

But there is NOTHING I enjoy about shooting a feral cat... I rather despise it. I really do not like wasting money on the ammo either.

I DO feel gratified that I took one more invasive predatory non native critter out of the equation...

But I do not enjoy it.

I feel a little tingle of the same gratification when I see others do what I do.
If it were prarie dog huntin' vids, I watch those for the pure enjoyable entertainment.

Brent
Old October 15, 2011, 03:25 PM   #19
acohoon

Feral Cats

I used to live at the corner/ entrance to a neighborhood and across the street you could see the back side of a child daycare facility. A few months after moving in the feral cat population exploded! One night while unlocking my front door I looked over at the daycare and saw 30-40 cats under the security lights eating out of the dumpster. I paid a visit to the daycare the next day and explained to them the huge risk they were taking by not keeping their dumpsters covered and how easily the children could pick up something on the playground from their waste. The person I was talking to told me they were even putting food out for them and had no worries about disease or plans to stop!!!!

I contacted animal control and told them about the situation. They put out 1 trap for three nights straight. Caught 3 cats and stopped trapping.

A cat then found a way into our attic and gave birth to a litter of kittens. It was a terrible experience getting them out of there and to the pound.

Shortly there after I purchased a pellet rifle and began to eliminate 2-3 cats every night by shooting them from my bedroom window with the lights turned out after 10:00 pm. I took the bodies to the woods on my family's farm where coyotes took care of them every night. I also located the food the women at the daycare kept putting out, and began dumping it in my trash can which I kept sealed tight (BTW it was on the deck where the children entered and exited the playground). The cats moved out and were never a problem after that.

Was it cruel? Not in my book. I did it for myself and the kids at that daycare. I may have saved those teachers jobs too if a cat with rabies or another disease showed up and gave it to a kid.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Kimbertron

Quote:

Agreed 100%. I never understand why people watch a video then call it offensive when the title clearly says what it is. I don't think i could ever shoot a cat but the OP had a reason and explained the reason before posting so i cant judge one bit. Now if the video was titled "showing effect of hydrostatic oh neighbors cat i don't like" i would have an issue. Also i agree the REAL issue of feral animals is irresponsible pet owners. If you don't want your pet anymore, fine a home for it or don't get one in the first place. This is all a bit off topic but i have to say that this is one of the only forums i have been on where a somewhat controversial topic can be discussed intelligently and without fighting... most of the time .
Old October 15, 2011, 04:07 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As for vids... I can sure skip a vile video of cruelty complete with adolescent giggles and thug verbage...

But a decent made vid I can use for various aspects I can enjoy...

Before I ever seen the first shot, my first thought was... Brave feral cat, as usual, staring at the creature about to take it's life... If the threat is not advancing, they have no fear of us but let them see a four legged predator and they are gone with a quickness. Unlike true wild species who are so naturally, and rightfully so, afraid of any critter higher up the predatory food chain, a feral domestic cat has actual human interaction traits... I ain't sure it is mentally instinctual or a little DNA modification by those humans who created the domestic feline specie or both.

You have far better odds of a feral deciding to come to you than any other predator even if it is multiple generations removed from human contact or husbandry.

Brent
Old October 15, 2011, 06:03 PM   #22
hooligan1

Nice one-shot kill,,,Nothing in my mind wrong with that.
Old October 15, 2011, 08:32 PM   #23
onewing

Well thanks for not banning me I can't address everyone but I'll reply to what I can.

For those that don't want to watch thats of course fine, but for the record its not blood and guts hydrostatic shock that you may be accustomed too, no noticable exit. Its not something I've seen before but we probably all knew it was happening. Theres a big difference between shooting a dead slab of meat and a living animal, as there is in shooting a placid and a spooked one.

I'm sure there is a cultural difference between where this is shot and where the main youtube audience is. I checked for other feral cats being shot on youtube and 100% were in Australia. They are the most destructive animal in these parts and don't recieve sympathy, no more then any introduced vermin which is exactly what it is. A single cat does more damage then any other single animal.

niceshot, like GeauxTide said in he's experiance, there actually was no exit wound (though I dont play with these too much to confirm that). The cartridge was a winchester power point which is 40gr @ 1250fps, with a large hollow point (These are marked "made in Australia", so unsure if elsewhere is familiar with them).

Last edited by onewing; October 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:08 PM   #24
ritepath

From about 1996-2006 I removed a feral cat every month or so at my home (at that time) We had a housing development about 500 yards or so away. Of all the cats I took over that period of time all were Males, none were fixed. The only female that showed up at that time I made a house cat out of and she was fixed. I'd kill one and a few weeks to a month later one would take it's place without fail. I also removed a bunch of foxes and a few coyotes from the same yard...not to mention several deer and a turkey or two.
Old October 16, 2011, 05:15 AM   #25
onewing

The question as to how long it will last on youtube has been answered, 'bout 24hrs, about 20 more then I expected.