The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
AdamSean

What is a good quality .22LR round?

We have been having aome trouble with a fox attacking cats in our area. I am not in a real neighborhood, but there are buildings nearby so I don't want to use a large caliber. I have opted to use a .22LR to dispatch the heathen. What is a good round to use in this case? I usually hunt with Stingers. Works great on squirrels and crows.
Old October 8, 2011, 02:02 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

The Stinger is very good but it gets it's speed from being less weight. For a full 40 grain 22 cal at the highest speed, the Velocitor is good. However, I do think shot placement would be critical in your case. And if you can place the shot accurately, I'd guess any of the hyper-velocity 22's would work.
Old October 8, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
FairWarning

Stinger is fine for .22 LR. Just remember to AIM.

You wouldn't have to aim as carefully if you had .22 WMR, but then again it's quite a bit louder..
Old October 8, 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
ronto

CCI Mini-Mag
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old October 8, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Ditto on the CCI, any hi-velocity 40 grain round nosed solid bullet from a good manufacturer will work, stay away from hollow points on anything larger than a rabbit. Buy a few different brands and see if your gun favors one particular one and go with it. If it's like my Savage it won't care what you stick in it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 8, 2011, 02:48 PM   #6
AdamSean

I was considering a round nose to ensure good penetration. Aim is no issue. I pop squirrels with head shots all the time. I am going to watch the fox to see its usual footpath and setup for a side of the head shot.if I get him he is going to be my first trophy piece. To outsmart a fox would be a nice story to tell...lol.
Old October 8, 2011, 04:11 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I've been playing with a few different loads over the last two years (to get myself away from the worthless 'bulk packs').

My favorite all-purpose load is the Federal Champion Target 40 gr RN. It doesn't run any dirtier than the plated loads, but is still a bit cheaper. It would work just as well as any other 40 gr bullet, for a fox.

ArmsCor Target 40 gr RN is more accurate (for me), but smells a little funky and is moving a little slow. (It has a hint of the smell you get from Russian surplus ammo, and the rated velocity is only 1,100 fps.)

I'm not a fan of Hollow Points in .22 LR, unless it's something like a Yellow Jacket. (High velocity, and a HP design that actually works... rather than just a dimple in the nose.)
Old October 8, 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Scorch

Within 100 yds, just about any 22LR round will suffice, out beyond that you will want a heavy bullet, so that will exclude the Stingers and Velocitors. I shoot American Eagle plated hollow points, they shoot very well from my 77/22 and Rem 541T, but CCI MiniMags are a good bet as well. For real precision work, look at CCI Green Tag standard velocity.
Old October 8, 2011, 04:47 PM   #9
AdamSean

I will be shooting at no more than 40 yards. I picked up some CCI Mini Mag RN. I will see how my 10/22 likes them.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Daryl

CCI mini-mag hollow points are my ammo of choice in a .22 LR.

Velocitors are great, but also very expensive by comparison.

Foxes aren't that big, and aren't that hard to kill. I've shot a few grey foxes with a .22 LR (mini-mag HP's), and they've always done the job well.

Daryl
Old October 9, 2011, 11:26 AM   #11
tahunua001

velocitors and stingers are good choices for hunting vermin and smaller predators. if you are concerned about the neighbors then maybe CCI sub sonics would be a better choice. you might want to check state laws first though. some(not all, not most) states classify foxes as fur bearers and require stamps, special permits etc. you may have to resort to a live trap and have animal control or fish and game deal with it.
Old October 10, 2011, 01:16 AM   #12
bamaranger

red fox???

If that is a red fox, it is a protected species in AL.

You sure you're not losing cats to coyote's??? Much more common.
Old October 10, 2011, 05:16 AM   #13
tape

AdamSean, I'm not far from you but here in B'ham a cat will rip a fox a new one. I have seen cats jump on a pit's head and the dog could not move away fast enough but also have seen the opposite where the cat lost. I can see a fox killing kittens but not a cat, unless you have some big tough foxes there in T-town. The foxes I have seen are not much bigger then a cat, maybe you are having a wolf/coyote problem? Anyways-good luck with it.
Old October 10, 2011, 05:25 AM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
I am not in a real neighborhood, but there are buildings nearby so I don't want to use a large caliber.
Don't underestimate the potential for a .22lr bullet to penetrate walls and windows at distance. Have you considered a shotgun?

Quote:
I have opted to use a .22LR to dispatch the heathen.
A .22lr will dispatch them just fine. Try to not hit the fox while gunning for them.

I wish there was a fox dispatching some of the feral cats in my neighborhood. If it's in my yard and not mine it's feral, right?
Old October 10, 2011, 07:57 AM   #15
Fargazer

I tend toward three brands:
  • Bulk Federal 525 packs for every day shooting. Very infrequently, I'll get a stovepipe, but good range ammo.
  • CCI AR Tactical in 325 packs. Made for the AR lookalike .22 rifles. Haven't had a jam yet with them; they feel like they have a bit extra lube on them.
  • Velocitors when I need a high velocity round, such as in a Walther P22.
I've also had good success with Fiocchi target match ammo.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:03 AM   #16
dalegribble

red fox is already dead. i saw him do some stand up comedy once and his sanford and son show was pretty funny but i think he died about 20 years ago.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:10 AM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
We have been having aome trouble with a fox attacking cats in our area.
Have you actually seen this happen? Coyotes kill and eat cats, Fox love the taste of road-kill cats, but I doubt if one would actally attempt to attack an adult cat.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:15 AM   #18
treg

I've had good luck with Winchesters Power Point HP's. It's a 40 gr HP bullet with a deep hole and large flat face rated at 1250 fps. Hits hard and is very accurate in my Buckmark and 10/22.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:32 AM   #19
jrothWA

Consider an elevated post ...

so you are shooting into dirt.

.22LR will RICOCHET, if shallowed angle against ground.

Can you borrow a .22 Hornet / .222REM rifle the HP will minimize the situation.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:21 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Fox are far closer to a natural resident than those loose roaming invasive predators you call "cats"...
If that were my neighborhood, you would have more than a little random kitty attack by foxes reducing their vile population!

And as long not EXPRESSLY ILLEGAL, I would shoot them dern cats with a 20 gauge...

Brent
Old October 10, 2011, 07:35 PM   #21
stevelyn

Quote:
I guess I don't understand what the problem is.

Any .22 that shoots half way accurately will dispatch the fox. If building and other structures are a concern consider CCI Qwik-Shok. The bullet will fragment into three pieces spilling off their speed and energy faster. I use them occasionally on foxes when I'm not using my .17HMR.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 10, 2011, 11:40 PM   #22
AdamSean

I have seen the fox kill and drag off kittens and a small cat. Wehen we first saw it my folks thought it was a big cat, but I identified it as a fox. Then the following we we saw it drag off a cat. It is a grey. I do have ny license, but of course I have to wait until the season opens up next month. If its still around, I am going to try ti get him. And by then I will have a good knowledge of where he is coming from and the tree line he likes to frequent.
Old October 11, 2011, 05:03 AM   #23
Rifleman1776

I do a lot of animal control around my place.
My choice of .22 ammo is bulk pack from Wal-Mart. Accurate, effective and cheap.
As far as the fox is concerned, my advice will seem unethical to some but we need to protect ourselves more than our pet cats.
Do not, repeat DO NOT make a killing shot in the head. Aim for the bread basket gut region. The animal will run off and die away from your home. No need to answer questions if someone sees you kill the animal. Bang. Go in house. Problem solved.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:30 AM   #24
L_Killkenny

Yes, fox will catch and kill adult cats. There's a reason Johny Stewart had a cat distress tape long before the coyote explosion here in farm country and they're are still out there today.

No, you don't need a solid to get the penetration required to kill a fox with a .22. HP's are better. Go ahead and skin out a fox sometime, there ain't much there.

There's a good chance that Mr. Fox will run away even with a good hit from a .22. Not what I'd recommend for hunting fox but we're not talking hunting, we're talking nuisance control. If it runs off 200 yards and dies it just means I don't have to get rid of it. Save the ethics crap, you don't care how long it takes a poisoned rat to die do ya?

Power vs. accuracy Velocitors are the best I've found, Stingers not so much. Other than that any high velocity HP that shoots good in your gun is the best bet. You aren't gonna have much success using ammo that shoots groups that should be called patterns instead.

Make sure you're legal.

LK

BTW, cats are easier targets. No cats, no fox right?

Last edited by L_Killkenny; October 11, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:47 AM   #25
Sport45

Quote:
BTW, cats are easier targets. No cats, no fox right?
I like the way you think. Kind of like eliminating an armadillo problem by spraying for grubs.