The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 6, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
ZX10Aviator

Hearing protecting while hunting?

Anyone use electronic ears or anything like that? Im looking for some options to save whats left of my hearing due to shooting..
Old September 6, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2
oneounceload

Peltor makes very good ones as does Walker's Game Ear series. There are electronic "in the ear" ones that are very expensive - but then what is your hearing worth?
Old September 6, 2011, 12:07 PM   #3
ZX10Aviator

After last season of hunting, my left ear is still ringing, and it sucks, thus my inquiry. Anyone actually have and use any?
Old September 6, 2011, 01:07 PM   #4
natman

I've used Peltor 6s for years and have hundreds of hour of experience with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-T.../dp/B00009363P

Properly adjusted you will have no problem identifying where sounds come from. It's really nice when they turn a shotgun's BOOM into a faraway boom.
Old September 6, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
bswiv

If the things suggested above don't help you could try changing the firearm you are shooting.

You would be surprised how much less noise a longer barrel will make. And it's even better if you can figure out how to shoot a milder round, something that does not say magnum and that does not require a muzzle break to suppress the recoil.

Not a solution but fact is that a .308 with a long barrel is not near so hard on your ears as is a .338 Mag with a short barrel and a muzzel break.

Of course if you're having problems because of bird hunting with a shotgun......just getting to many shots.....then you need to invite a lot of friends so you don't have to shoot so much.
Old September 6, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Single Six

I haven't hunted in a long time, but when I did, I always used hearing protection. Any of the shooting ear muffs available at Wal Mart sufficed for me, and in fact, I would usually double up with both muffs and foam ear plugs. Every time you touch off a firearm without it, you're permanently damaging your hearing. The effect is cumulative and, over time, really adds up. What it adds up to is you constantly going: "Huh? What did you say?" Yes, some other hunters might laugh at you for it....but at least you'll be able to hear them laughing.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:16 PM   #7
ZX10Aviator

Thanks, Im not changing guns, and dont want to be walking through the forest with a big set of ear muffs on, prefering in the ear electronic protection. Any experiences?
Old September 6, 2011, 06:48 PM   #8
playin' hookey

I have started using custom-molded ear plugs (Radians brand, $15 from Cabelas) for hunting involving frequent shooting. Works especially well for dove hunting, since you don't rely on your hearing to detect game. I don't use anything for deer or turkey hunting, as shots are so infrequent. I did quit using a ported, short barreled shotgun for turkeys because of the noise. I like to avoid muffs for wingshooting due to interference with getting your cheek on the stock. I can see that the electronic in-ear devices would have some advantages, but I have no experience with them. They sure are pricey.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

I'm wearing Peltor Comtacs right now here in the stand. They keep the bugs out of my ears in the summer and keep my ears warm in the winter. The only downside is that I don't hear the THWACK when my bullets hit the hogs.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; September 7, 2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Because Comtacs is not spelled Comyacs
Old September 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm wearing Peltor Comyacs right now here in the stand.
Having a slow hunting day, are we? I can hear 'em now....

Hog #1: "Look! Up in that tree! It's a giant lightning bug!"

Hog #2: "Naw, that just the screen on DNS's Droid. No need to worry about him as long as he's surfing TFL".

(Just messin' with ya DNS )

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 6, 2011, 10:58 PM   #11
warbirdlover

Well if you're already deaf to the point of wearing super hearing aides or getting a cochlear implant like me, the hearing aides ($5000 for the pair) shut down the loud noise when you fire. And my deafness didn't come from shooting a rifle or loud music.

The Walker Game Ear are the way to go. Does the same thing as my hearing aides for a whole lot cheaper.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Cowboy_mo

Walker Game Ear Muffs

I have been using them for two years now and I can hear the woods sounds well and the shot noise is blocked.

The only downside I have found is they are hot in the summer when squirrel hunting but it is a small price to for keeping what hearing I have left. They do make great ear muffs in the winter when deer hunting.

They are also a 'low profile' muff and don't interfere with cheek weld when shooting rifle or shotgun.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Having a slow hunting day, are we? I can hear 'em now....
LOL, given that the hogs won't come until after dark (if they come) daylight time can be really slow. Usually, I just read. As you can see, the small buttons make for some interesting spelling issues.

Depending on the noise of the woods, the volume gain on the muffs is such that I can often hear better with the muffs than with the naked ear...so even with my head down and trying to text a response, I can hear quite well.

FYI, no luck, but did learn that the deer love the new sweet feed I put out.
Old September 8, 2011, 10:57 PM   #14
the blur

I lost 1 deer last season because I was squeezing the foam ear plug to place in my ear before the shot, and she heard me fiddling, and ran off. but I cant damage what I have left.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:24 AM   #15
FrontSight

I swear by these Peltor ones, especially in the duck boat, where it's common to have 18 rounds of 3.5 inch 12 guage loads go off through ported chokes all in about .7 seconds all around you from 6 feet away at most.

They fit REALLY nicely, even with a hat on, which is what they are designed for, actually...no bulky over the top of the head bar...

Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I have used them for 2 or 3 seasons now & they rule. Like any earmuff, they will start to bother you after a while, but I can usually can go about 4 hours or so before i need to take them off for a couple of minutes, but that's a small price to pay.

Old September 9, 2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Doyle

I'd love to wear the combo enhancer/protection muffs when hunting but it is almost always too hot down here to even think about having something covering your ears. The alternative is the in-the-ear sets but they are way more than I can afford.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:23 AM   #17
ZX10Aviator

Exactly Doyle, although not as hot here, still not comfy for hours on end running through the forest.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've used electronic protection for several years now. With the prices if today's units there's really no excuse not to have them.
I have used units from Radians that are "Behind The Ear" hearing aid style as well as their muff style. They are very inexpensive, you can find them for under $50 for the BTE and about $75 for the muffs, last I looked. The Radians are functionally fine but not super durable, although I did get about 4 hard years out of my muffs. Their BTE uses a plastic/rubbery ear insert that is not super comfortable.

I have also used Walker's Game Ear BTE digital devices. They work very well and are more comfortable than the Radians but the price is rather ungodly.

I wear the BTE style even into the 90+ degree weather when woodchuck hunting. It's not totally comfortable but it beats being deaf.

I prefer muffs for big game in my climate, it's generally quite cold during dear season.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:24 PM   #19
ZX10Aviator

Just reporting back, I bought a set of walkers game ears, the cheap $30 set that look like huge hearing aids. They work pretty well, shooting they shut off, on it sounds like your in a hallway, but I have not adjusted the range totally yet. But Im happy for the price. I may buy some more expensive ones now that I know they work.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:12 PM   #20
Crazy Carl

I'll be buying some Leight Impact Sports this year. An occasional shot with the .30-30 or 12ga doesn't bother me while hunting, but I'll be hunting with a .41Mag Blackhawk this year & it is LOUD.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:15 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It bothers your ears.
Old October 28, 2011, 06:33 AM   #22
Picher

The lower frequency reports, like from a 20 gauge using field loads, fired from your 26" barrel aren't too bad, but when someone else fires to your side and slightly back, it's much more of a problem.

I've found that very slow-burning powders in, say a .30-06 make a much louder report than others. For instance, I switched from IMR 4350 to IMR 4064 and was amazed at the difference in report and muzzle flash.

The worst for me was firing a .357 magnum handgun, braced against a tree. After three shots, my ears rang for three days. Firing my 7 1/2", 44 magnum, using IMR 4227 instead of IMR 2400 was much more pleasant. The difference in frequency made it more comfortable than any of my .357 mag loads.

Once, I fired my .270 Win with the muzzle next to a plywood trail sign on a post and the reflected sound was horrible!! That's something to consider as well. Noise under the roof at the range is also much worse than in the woods or in open areas.