The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 12, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1
The Tourist

How much does "comfort level" affect your choices?

I did something last night that you might have experienced.

I knew I was going to work late into the evening, probably past 2:00AM when the house was dark and quiet. I grabbed a beverage, and I also picked up a pistol. So far, nothing out of the ordinary.

However, while there are many .40's and .45's at my home, I snatched up a .380 ACP, and I was comfortable with my choice.

We often debate which firearm is most effective. In fact, many of us use a shotgun for home defense. But who uses a "mouse gun" when there are so many other better choices?

Or, are they better?

Many times during the day I make what might be 'bad' or at least incorrect choices based on comfort or piece of mind.

For example, I wear crappy clothes while my brother wears Armani or Dior suits. I might not stop for gas while I know that sucking up that lower 1/4 of a tank might induce sludge into my motor. I over polish my bike, even when it's clean. Some days I blow off the gym.

I don't do these things with an agenda. It's clear I do them for comfort or to save time or simply because I want to.

But should these mental parameters dominate my choice of self defense tools?

Should I have loaded a .45 ACP firearm despite the fact it's not what I wanted? Should I also have secured pepper spray and a SureFire while inside my own home?

Or was I just lazy?
Old October 12, 2007, 12:18 PM   #2
bigghoss

everything else aside .45 acp is always going to be a better choice over a
.380 but what is most important is what you can hit with best. also if you don't like carrying the gun you tend to leave it behind. better a .380 in the hand than a .45 in the drawer.

also letting your gas tank get below 1/4 tank won't hurt your car. the fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank so if there is sludge in your tank it's getting in there regardless.
Old October 12, 2007, 12:30 PM   #3
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigghoss
most important is what you can hit with best
That's the point of this debate. I did not consider my skill-set at all, nada, zilch. I just "wanted" that particular pistol. I'm not even sure the knife I carry cuts the 'best.'

I remember a letter-to-the-editor several years back from a guy who weighed +275 and still complained about toting a big gun. He claimed he could not conceal it well, and the grip was uncomfortable. Granted, many pistols poke me in the right kidney.

However, Ayoob often recommended that we just buy better pants because a sercurity issue was at stake.

Money is not so much an issue anymore, in fact, some great guns languish around here for many years between firings. That's my issue.

I just "like" certain guns, and I use them. I often feel I make the wrong choice. I select style or desire over substance. I did it with varmint rifles. I had several really nice 77's in 22-250, but in my heart I liked shooting the .243 variant.

I just wonder if this is wise, or simply normal. Do you do it?
Old October 12, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
dwatts47

YYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

Another .45 vs. ??? thread.... I'm pshyced. :barf:
Old October 12, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Wildalaska

My comfort level 99% of the time is a Seecamp in my back pocket

WildilamostblewmyearoffthinkingitwasacellphoneAlaska ™
Old October 12, 2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Jkwas

Quote:
also letting your gas tank get below 1/4 tank won't hurt your car. the fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank so if there is sludge in your tank it's getting in there regardless.
Actually, it's not good to let your tank go down past 1/4 in modern vehicles with electric pumps in the tank. It reduces the life of the pump by allowing it to run hot. The fuel actually cools the pump. FWIW
Old October 12, 2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Billy Sparks

I don't know a lot of the pocket pistols that I own (KelTec .380 and Rohrbaugh R9S) I can't shoot as well as my Colt Defender or Commander or even a J frame. I find myself going for the bigger gun because I know if the chips were down I could effectively hot my target with it. Add to that that if I was in a shooting it would be at night at a greater distance so I want the better sights. But notice what I am saying is comfort. If you feel comfortable with a .380 go for it.
Old October 12, 2007, 01:18 PM   #8
TNFrank

My first rule for a Handgun is that is has to be Handy. A pistol in the top drawer of your dresser at home won't do ya' much good but a smaller, less powerful one that you can carry easily may just save your life.
Old October 12, 2007, 02:31 PM   #9
BikerRN

If I am awake I have at least one firearm on my person, or within six inches of my hand.

My choices range from 38 Special J-Frames to my Glock 19. In between that I have 357 Magnum and 45 ACP Revolvers to choose from. I do not feel "comfortable" unless I have a "full size" gun on me with a smaller second gun.

Last night was an exception to the rule, as I normally carry Revolvers Off-Duty. I wore a suit and had my Glock as my Primary. The J-Frame went on the ankle. I didn't have a good IWB Holster for the N-Frame Revolver with the belt I was wearing, (Mitch Rosen).

Having been in more than one "Armed Encounter" I can testify that when the fecal matter hits the rotating thingie that "Hit Probability" goes down and I want every advantage I can get, therefore I carry a "full size" gun. Also, I select a caliber that I trust to have a good "chance" of stopping whatever it was that caused me to have to pull my handgun from it's holster.

If you think a 380 will do that, more power to you. Next year I will be adding another 357 Magnum to the carry selections and a 357 Sig.

Biker
Old October 12, 2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Tom2

Wow, always? Do you take stainless guns in the shower?
Old October 12, 2007, 08:56 PM   #11
Hard Ball

"everything else aside .45 acp is always going to be a better choice over a
.380"

+3
Old October 12, 2007, 09:20 PM   #12
The Tourist

That's the issue, I agree with you guys that just about anything else would have been a better choice. It's kind of like gravitating to the big, tall redhead that's going to break your heart, and everyone in the room knows it.

And while many of us like the .45 ACP cartridge, have you ever given much thought to which platform we are going to use? When I envision myself with a .45, it's a 1911. Am I kidding myself?

We all agree that safety and security are the main focal points.

I just like some pistols better than others. There is no logical explanation I can nail down.

The feeling I'm trying to describe is more romance than substance, and yet I know better. I picked a .380, perhaps a life decision, and could have cared less.
Old October 12, 2007, 09:23 PM   #13
orionengnr

Well, you've gotten a variety of opinions. And you will get a few more.

Want my .02 worth?

If I could carry a full size 1911, I would. At this point, I've got a ways to go. Now to balance that out, as much as the P3AT appeals to me, I won't buy one, because if I did, I'd carry it. I don't have faith in the caliber. Sorry.

I have sold my j-frames, not because I don't trust 38+p, but because they reload slowly and more importantly, I don't shoot a j-frame all that well.

I carry a Kahr PM9 because it I can conceal it easily, it is now ultra-reliable, it handles +p+ ammo in modest quantities, it reloads quickly, and I shoot it well enough to inspire confidence.

When the weather cools off a bit more and I have some cover garment options, I will carry my Kahr P45 as I did last "winter" . Perhaps I can get to the point of carrying the P45 year round. Then, perhaps a compact 1911.
Old October 12, 2007, 09:41 PM   #14
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr
Want my .02 worth?
Yes, I do.

For example, the aspects you point out in regard to your safety are almost identical to my own. That being, in my head I want to carry the most effective and practical device I can imagine.

And your idea of practicality vs. realism is one I agree with.

And yet none of your choices mirror my own. That's the point of my debate. We all look at the real world, we all pretty much agree, and then choose dramatically different firearms.
Old October 12, 2007, 10:20 PM   #15
Ralph Allen

I carry whatever I feel like carrying. I have multiple weapons to choose from and shoot each and every one I carry. Guess it just depends on if I want a 6+1 45acp, a full sized 13+1 45acp, or any thing smaller caliber either full size or compact. Practice and confidence equals comfort.
Ralph
Old October 13, 2007, 12:22 AM   #16
Sigma 40 Blaster

I think you were comfortable with it because you can shoot it well, the muzzle blast and noise won't be too bad in the dark should you need to use it, and unless it's a home invasion or nutjob most burglars don't want a confrontation.

Are 7 rounds of .380 ammo enough to stop an attack by one or two assailants to retreat to a BIG gun? I think so, if you can shoot it well enough under stress.

Had you heard something and went to investigate and chose the .380 that might be a different matter...I personally wouldn't make that choice but for just in case at night when nothing seems amiss I don't see much wrong with it.

I shot my .40 cal last night in the dark for the first time just testing out a new load at the range and was pretty surprised at the muzzle flash, I tried my 9mm and .380 just to see how bad they were. The .380 was the least disorienting of them but I'll stick with my .40...I just need to practice shooting at night : ).
Old October 13, 2007, 01:00 AM   #17
MyXD40

Quote:
Wow, always? Do you take stainless guns in the shower?
I actually place my gun on the top of the toilet, and take my shirt I was just wearing, or a shirt I'm going to wear, over ontop of it (to help keep steam off it) ..lol anyone else do this?

as far as the question goes, I carry the gun I feel most comfortable with, based on what I'll be doing for the day. 6 days out of the 7, I carry my all black XD40. I usualy open carry, very rare I conceal. Either way I don't want to show off my gun, or let people know I have one.

Now if I'm going to a dinner party, or a social event with other people who I know will be into guns, or carry guns, out comes my duo-tone XD40- my show off gun.

So my comfort level, well, I feel naked without my XD40. I'm used to its weight, size, and how it molds to my body. Any other gun I have, just feels weird, like writing my name with a pencil in my left hand instead of my normal right hand.
Old October 13, 2007, 01:12 AM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
.lol anyone else do this?
No

WildneverAlaska TM
Old October 13, 2007, 01:33 AM   #19
Wolf Lies Down

Oh dear! What to do?

--
-
There is nothing wrong with the .380 for self defense, in my opinion.

Personally, I might pick up my Colt .380 auto OR my Springfield 1911 in .45 auto. Just depends on what feels right at the time. I feel perfectly safe with either weapon/cartridge in most situations.

I think the stats are that the .380 Federal HydraShok round has a 78% one-shot-stop record. I can't prove that and don't want to look it up, however, if that's even close:
---we're gonna shoot three times, right?
---other, similar .380 self defense loads MUST be close to or better than that.

From self defense distances, just about any .30+ calliber cartridge will do the work, given that you know the basics of handling and shooting the weapon and are willing to use it.

Wolf Lies Down
Old October 13, 2007, 09:09 AM   #20
pistolet1

Yeah, Tourist, I think I know what you mean. A lot of times I seem to gravitate to my Colt Mustang. Not the most effective, powerful, high capacity, etc. choice in my arsenal; but sometimes its just the one I want. Its compact, flat, easy to conceal, and works just fine. Its not really based on logic or tactics; its kind of like wearing your favorite jeans or shirt; something you just feel more comfortable with at times.
Old October 13, 2007, 07:21 PM   #21
Dwight55

I am working hard on making my comfort level "1911 adaptable": in other words, so I can & will carry my RIA instead of my Bersa or Colt .38 or Browning .22.

So far I'm winning, . . . but it is a struggle at times. I'm equally proficient with any of them, . . . maybe just a tad better with the Browning, . . . but since I bought my first 1911 in 1965, . . . I've always felt secure when it was with me, . . . and I can honestly say that sometimes with the others, . . . I don't have that secure feeling.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 13, 2007, 07:23 PM   #22
The Tourist

I'm alone at home right now. My CZ 83 sits right next to my Mountain Dew and cell phone. I'm comfortable.
Old October 13, 2007, 07:59 PM   #23
webbee

Practice and shot placement are everything. A .22 will kill properly placed, so how much more dead can one be with a larger caliber? Now comfortable is a wholly different criteria. I'm comfortable with .380 too, but I don't want to go much smaller, even though I know logically the .22 will work.
Not comfortable, thank you very much!

The Tourist...isn't that CZ a peach?!?!
Old October 13, 2007, 08:29 PM   #24
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbee
The Tourist...isn't that CZ a peach?!?!
Yes it is! And I feel that is one of the root issues of comfort.

This little gem will just keep functioning. Pics to follow.