The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2002, 04:00 PM   #1
RAThomas

Powder pan problem

I use a RCBS Powdermaster electronic power dispenser and digital scale to throw and measure my loads. Although it is a little slow, I like the system. One problem I am having is that sometimes the dispenser will not throw the selected load and I empty the scale pan back into the dispenser. This is the problem: not all of the powder will empty from the pan. Knocking the pan against the hopper will dislodge it and the pan is empty. However, this dribbles some powder from the dispenser onto the scale. It seems as if what I put back into the hopper is offset by what comes from the despenser.

Question: Back a long time ago I read that putting liquid soap on the pan and not wiping it off would help to keep the powder from sticking. Any comments or suggestions?
Old June 23, 2002, 09:16 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I think it's a good possibility that it's static electricity thats causing your problem. Try wiping the pan with some of those treated papers that you put in the dryer with clothes to get the static out.
Old June 25, 2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

I had a similar problem with mine early on. I just had a fine brush around to nock those last few kernels off and after a while, the pan just stopped doing it.

Perserver and the problem will rectify itself. I think the powder will lay down some carbon on the pan and solve it.
Old June 25, 2002, 02:51 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I don't use an electronic, but the principle still applies .... keep a small bowl handy (I use either a ~3" diameter Pyrex or ? alongside the powder stuff) as a "catch-all" for things along these lines.

A quick tap of the pan against the bowl's side dumps the extras ..... collect it & dump it back in when you're done.

Anti-static drier sheets seems to work around plastics.

& regardless if all the powder goes back into the hopper, the scales still measures the total load weight anyway. Why bother tapping out at all ... ? Just make sure, when dumping through the funnel into case, that it all goes.
Old June 25, 2002, 08:56 PM   #5
MADISON

Static Electricity

If and when you have a Static Electricity problem, wash the scale pan in dishwashing detergent. DO NOT RINSE. Allow the pan to air dry. The should cure the static.
Old June 29, 2002, 12:36 PM   #6
buford1

buford1

I just replaced the plastic powder try with the metal one that came with my beam scale. Statics gone.
Old June 30, 2002, 09:53 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

labgrade's solutions work best for me.

I wash pan with liquid soap but DO rinse it and dry carefully with a cotton towel. Failure to rinse leaves a noticible "soap scum" in the pan which can cause problems in and of itselt.

The shallow bowl is best for me. I spend too much time taking the top off the powder reservoir, dumping, tapping, and replacing the top.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 1, 2002, 01:24 AM   #8
uglymofo

Go to Walmart and look in the kitchenware section. They carry a set of very small "pots" that look like toys, 2 - 4" in diameter with a 1 -3" handle. They're made from stainless steel. No more static problems for $3. Or, the cheap way out is call RCBS for a brass pan from the 5-0-5 scale.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:38 AM   #9
JackM

If the humidity is low enough, no amount of detergent or anti-static treatment will stop powder, flake especially, from clinging. I've called PACT about this twice and get the same line every time. Interesting, their first catalogue that lists the Digital Precision Powder Scale shows a metal pan in the scale.

Bye
Jack
Old July 2, 2002, 05:50 PM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

"If the humidity is low enough, no amount of detergent or anti-static treatment will stop powder, flake especially, from clinging."

BY GOLLY.........that's why I never had real problems with static !

In South Louisiana I'd guess that 70% humidity is kind of low .

I just checked the reporting station aobut 4 miles from my home and its 91 F, 77% humidity and the heat index is 110 F. Now do you all know why my reloading room has A/C?

Oh yes by the way we had 7/10 of an inch or rain so far today.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:51 AM   #11
JackM

I doubt if the humidty is 7% on a cold day in January in Saskatchewan. Shuffle across the carpet in wool socks and see if you can get a 2" spark when you reach for a light switch. If the temp does get to 90°F here, we don't have to worry about humidity, 'cause the heats coming from Arizona.

Bye
Jack