The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 6, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
GustheSig

Looking for some opinions on Bolt .22s

Hey everyone. I have set up a range on the farm and have been practicing target drills for several months now with a customized 10/22. I went down to the local gunsmith to look at barrel upgrades and such. He plainly stated that instead of wasting a bunch of money on making the 10/22 a competition gun, I should invest in a whole new platform, either a Martini or Bolt action. I have looked at CZs, rugers, marlins, etc... Granted I have not shot either (minus a buddy's ruger bolt), but I would like some opinions. I am just wanting to get started in local matches and would like to be competitive. I am pretty accurate with what I have, just looking to get a bit more serious about it. Thanks.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
bacardisteve

Anschutz!
Old January 6, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
GustheSig

Unfortunately, I cannot afford one of those, though it is on my dream list. Really considering a CZ.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
38superhero

CZ...
Old January 6, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
GustheSig

So a CZ is your recommendation? Thanks for the replies btw
Old January 6, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Redneckrepairs

I am real pleased with my cz .22s , they seem to shoot about any ammo good , and what they like real well .
If you can hold your nose on the fit and finish you might look at savage as well they tend to shoot entirely too good for their price point .
Old January 7, 2013, 12:04 AM   #7
GustheSig

I was considering Savage as well. Know they do well in the larger cal department. I don't know much about CZ models and what not for .22 or Savages for that matter. Would like something in the $500-$650 range.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:30 AM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I just bought a Savage Mark II FV-SR. I actually bought it for my daughter, but you know, any responsible dad has to safety check and shoot it...lol. I love it. She will like it. She is a little young for it now, but I tend to buy her more than I do me. BTW the Accu-Trigger in it is wonderful. I just wanted to see its range. It goes from 2.21# - almost 7#. While the CZ is a better built rifle, this little Savage sure is a great but for the $235 I paid for it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 7, 2013, 01:23 AM   #9
GustheSig

Yeah, I have heard great things about the accutrigger.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:33 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I am about to upgrade my 22 bolt gun and will be looking for a Ruger or Savage. Depending on how accurate I want to go.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:59 AM   #11
wyop

The CZ 45x bolt-action .22's are quite nice for the money. Probably the best bang:buck in a new bolt action under $1K.

Above that, Anschuetz is hard to beat.

But don't ignore the used market. There are good US-made .22 bolt rifles from the 50's and 60's that were quite good. .22's are hard to wear out - a good .22 bolt action rifle has a barrel lifespan in the 10's of thousands of rounds.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:21 AM   #12
DaleA

I've heard the CZ .22 bolts are very good.

In the 2011 CDNN catalog they had used Russian CM2 target .22 bolt guns for around $300. Advertised as "Olympic Style Bolt Action Rifle...Used In International Match Shooting". You might find one of these kicking around on Gun Broker
Old January 7, 2013, 06:53 AM   #13
twins

Gus,

For $450, you can get a Kimber Surplus .22 Target rifle from CMP sent directly to your door:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

You can get more info from owners from either of these sites:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=19
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Even though the description says "rusty", no signs of rust on these rifles.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:34 AM   #14
GustheSig

Thank you for the replies. May look in the used Kimber or Anschutz department. May get a better deal on a great gun.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Picher

If you're serious about getting into rimfire competition, talk with the person who runs the matches and get his opinion on what rifle might be competitive. You may be buying the wrong rifle in a CZ or other sporter, if the competition is using high-end target rifles.

Also, you might be able to borrow a rifle to try for a match or two. Competitive shooters are often happy to let someone use an older rifle. That's also a great place to buy one.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:05 PM   #16
rodfac

Very good advice, Picher. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Scorch

Sounds like your smith just wants to sell you another rifle. I put an aftermarket barrel and a trigger kit on a 10/22 a few years back and proceeded to outshoot a guy at the range who was shooting an Anschutz (it was close, though). Get a good aftermarket barrel and install it, then go shooting.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18
jmr40

I put a $200 bull barrel from Cabelas on one of my 10-22's and a Hogue stock to fit the barrel. Everything else is stock. It outshoots my CZ. If I just wanted another gun, I do like the CZ a lot though.

Old January 8, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
whitearrow

you need to first decide what class that you want to shoot in i.e. sporter,target,unlimited etc. then see if you can still find a cz-452 and some sk standard plus or eley and go make some teeny groups. imho cz's are the biggest bang for the buck i'm also about to start competing in a local 22-f sporter class with my cz-452 american.
good luck,
whitearrow
Old January 8, 2013, 07:56 PM   #20
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustheSig
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardisteve
Anschutz!
Unfortunately, I cannot afford one of those, though it is on my dream list. Really considering a CZ.
Sure you can, you just have to look around. I picked up a Savage Anschutz 164 with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 for $650 not to long ago. I figure the current rate the old Leupolds are trading I paid right at $325 for it. Then there are plenty of Anschutz single shots selling on gunbroker.com for less than $300. Sure they're not a new rifle but it is very hard to wear a .22 LR out.

Other than that I'd upgrade your 10/22 as you had planned. You can buy the barrel kits and do it yourself. I agree with Scorch the smith just wanted to sell you a rifle.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:48 PM   #21
gk1

For more formal competition, either select the sport/event/discipline you're interested in and get a rifle that fits the rules, or get a rifle and find a sport/event/discipline that it will fit into.

For example, 50-foot iron sight prone matches wouldn't suit a 10/22 without making an Anschutz inexpensive in comparison.

I think the best advice was to look at what the other competitors are using and pick something at least similar.

Old Mossberg M44/144s, H&R M12s, Remington 541Xs, and the CMP Kimbers would all be relatively inexpensive bolt gun choices, from ~$200 or so on up, and they'd have a bit of history too. Keep stock style in mind, too.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:49 PM   #22
mach1.3

Wow, that pic with the small grouping is super good with your 10/22 at 50yds. Only way to improve there is with one hole for all three shots.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #23
randombapfreak

Savage guns have a nice smooth action and they are accurate. Unfortunately, the magazine to magazine well fit is extremely loose. So much so that it caused issues with mine which is why I sold it.

Marlin has always made decent rimfire bolt actions and their new XT series looks even better. I had a 22WMR Marlin bolt gun and it was a quality piece.

CZ makes some very refined rifles. Expect to pay more for them.

Get a Marlin if on a budget or a CZ if money isn't a huge issue.