The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2011, 08:14 PM   #26
RickE

A charging wolf? Only if rabid as a single. Get real! She as a others (meat farmers) will do anything to eliminate the wolves. Did I hear she was a guide? She may have been trying to eliminate competition for the game. Maybe the wolf should have taken her out. I am not a proponent of killing the critters at the top of the food chain. If you are not willing (cougars, bear, wolves, and the like) eat the meat, leave them be. I know the trigger happy will not like to hear this, true hunters eat what they kill.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Alaska444

These critters don't belong here. They are an alien invasive species forced upon the western states by the Feds against the will of the people. If you want them in your back yard with their diseases, call up Idaho Fish and Game and I am sure they could arrange an interstate transfer so you can enjoy them as well.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:31 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

RickE, can you prove that the wolf was NOT rabid?

Wolves apparently tend to shun, to avoid people. A wolf at pistol range sounds rather unusual to me. Not normal behavior.

It's a fair generalization about bow-hunters that they are not really into casual killing, doing it the easy way.

All in all, her story comes across as more real than your emotional harumph.

"...true hunters eat what they kill." This is correct if you're hunting for food. Pest or predator control? Nope, sorry about that.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:40 PM   #29
deepforks

it's not about eating what you kill. its about the responsible management of a predatory species, that if left unchecked, will continue to cause horrific damage to other species that we enjoy hunting........and eating. there is a balance in wildlife conservation that is being overshadowed by emotion.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:09 PM   #30
salvadore

Kill em or send them to RickE, doesn't matter to me. They are miserable animals that were hunted (and poisoned) to extinction for a reason.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:28 PM   #31
Discern

RickE,

With predators we like wolves, coyotes and fox we use the pelts.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:29 PM   #32
tahunua001

Quote:
Kill em or send them to RickE, doesn't matter to me. They are miserable animals that were hunted (and poisoned) to extinction for a reason.
don't mean to start flaming but gray wolves were never hunted to extinction. the indigenous wolves of Idaho were red wolves and were little larger than a coyote and were solitary hunters. as such they preferred carrion to hunting unless it was an ill or aging animal, as such they were the perfect predator for the area. now we have Canadian gray wolves that have a non existent pup mortality rate since they are acclimatized to a harsher environment that hunt in packs and have no problem taking on a herd of elk just to get at all the tender little calves. and these wolves carry disease that the red wolves did not carry. I wish we had red wolves back but I guess we'll just have to try to deal with the grays and hope that we can hunt them to extinction
Old October 17, 2011, 11:25 PM   #33
Sport45

Quote:
short article dated 10/5/11 with picture of woman bowhunter who shot a large wolf with her .44 mag. Too cool.
I was dissapointed. Hoped to read about her dispatching the thing with an arrow. Now that would have been cool... I wonder if she tried with the bow before dropping it.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:36 PM   #34
longranger

Quote:
Part of me does not want to kill a wolf because I am not going to eat it. I guess I do kill ground squirrels and occasionally coyotes.
You eating those ground squirrels and coyote' ?
Old October 18, 2011, 12:29 AM   #35
deepforks

guys, our electrical/controls contractor employs a guy that is friends with her husband. pretty ironic that i had him out working on a well today and we were talking about this very thing. story he got, was she was not actually hunting at the time. she was set back from the hunter(s) cow calling when it came in on her. she said it was about 15 yards away and sort of crouched. she got nervous and stood up and thats when it came at her. here is the pic he sent to my phone today while i was with him. not suprising to me that it came in on the calls. ive heard of it before, especially with cats. doubt it if you want, but i know my source is an extremely honest guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001[1].jpg (33.7 KB, 25 views)
Old October 18, 2011, 10:47 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thanks, deepforks.