The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2011, 03:39 AM   #1
AdamSean

My first squirrel of the season with my new Ruger 10/22

I was out for a nice walk in the woods the other day and decided to do some squirrel hunting. It was real peaceful and up ahead about 40 yards or so a squirrel came down to pick up some nuts. He had his back to me when he just stood straight up for me. A light pull and bam! Perfect first shot. He dropped right there. He was the only one I got, but it was a nice day to get out. I am looking forward to some more. I love my new rifle. Shoots great.

Last edited by AdamSean; October 14, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
tahunua001

good for you, glad the new gun is working out for you.
Old October 14, 2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Adamsean.

The anti-gunners, that call shooters killers, moniter our posts. The title of your post would have been more correct if you had titled it my fist squirrel. I mention this because it behooves all shooter to help protect our rights.

Semper Fi:

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; October 14, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 14, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
"JJ"

Mr Hughes it is a shame we must manage our words like that, but you are correct.
ANTIs do monitor these forums regularly. The ones labeled "hunting" even more!

Congrats on the 1st squirrel with the new rifle!!
Old October 14, 2011, 08:37 PM   #5
AdamSean

It is sad that we must do that. After all, something must be dead if you intend to eat it.

Changed the title though. Much love.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Discern

a 10/22 was the first .22LR that I purchased. It is a great little rifle.

You are right, it needs to be dead before you eat it. Maybe the antis should convince four legged predators to be more humane.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:36 AM   #7
huntinaz

Nice shot, my 10/22 has killed a pile of squirrels.

I couldn't disagree more about catering to the "antis." They can go kick rocks for all I care. First kill, first squirrel... it doesn't matter what we call the dead squirrel, it's just as dead. Some think it's right, some think it's wrong. This is a free country and we're all entitled to our opinions. I legally killed two squirrels just today. That's exactly what happened, I'm not gonna call it anything different than what it is, especially if only to make it seem less bad to somebody who may read it on the internet who may disagree with it. If you aren't ashamed of it, then don't act like you are. That's my opinion.

Last edited by huntinaz; October 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old October 15, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

A kill is a kill.
Congrats on new gun and kill.
Old October 15, 2011, 09:42 AM   #9
sc outdoorsman

Good job. I have never shot a 10/22, but my neighbor has several that he loves. I might see if he will let me take one out to play. Squirrels are good eating. I like to fry them and make some gravy. Let them simmer it it for a while to tenderize a little. Yummm
Old October 15, 2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Wag

Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSean
It is sad that we must do that. After all, something must be dead if you intend to eat it.

Changed the title though. Much love.
Note that in the posting list it still says, "My first Kill. . ." Maybe an admin can fix it?

--Wag--
Old October 15, 2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Discern

WARNING

sc outdoorsman,

WARNING, you may be paying out some cash after trying a 10/22.
Old October 16, 2011, 12:20 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Since this is a GUN forum and this is the HUNTING section, I see the use of the word KILL quite appropriate. Much more so than the many gory blood filled pictures that so many feel the need to post. Much more appropriate than the "Whack 'em, Stack 'em" and similar terms used by backwoods Bubbas. The OP showed respect for his quarry in his post and dispatched it quickly and humanely. No ammo for anti's there.

Congrats on your first "KILL'' with your 10/22. I'm sure there will be many more to follow.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Jo6pak

Congrats on the first squirrel with the new rifle

I killed three this morning with my 10/22. oNe head-shot each, at ranges between 15 and 30 yards
Yes, I killed them, they are dead. I am a hunter, and I KILL animals for food. I do not "take" or "harvest" or any other semantic on the verb to appease those who will not agree with me no matter what words I use. I thank mother nature for the meat, but sorry, I won't apologize for it.
Old October 16, 2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Daryl

Quote:
You are right, it needs to be dead before you eat it. Maybe the antis should convince four legged predators to be more humane.
When 4 legged predators eat something, they don't always wait 'till it's dead.

I agree with those who prefer the word "kill". I harvest tomatoes from the garden, and I "take" pictures sometimes of animals I've "killed".

If they died any other way, I don't particularly care to eat them. I'm happy to eat the ones I've killed.

Daryl
Old October 16, 2011, 09:38 PM   #15
FairWarning

Nice KILL, since that's what you did. Not worried about antis. They can go cruise somewhere else.

There are few guns that are anywhere near as pleasurable and trouble free to shoot as the 10/22. I'm looking forward to getting one with a classic wood stock----and keeping it that way. No ninja upgrades, since it's not an assault rifle.
Old October 17, 2011, 12:27 AM   #16
Kimbertron

Whats funny is i have met a person that thought killing animals by hunting was wrong but boy did they love there steaks! I think some of the anti hunting public doesn't know what happens in a slaughter house.
Old October 17, 2011, 12:43 AM   #17
huntinaz

Quote:
Whats funny is i have met a person that thought killing animals by hunting was wrong but boy did they love there steaks! I think some of the anti hunting public doesn't know what happens in a slaughter house.
Most of them do. Talk to people. It's really annoying, but you'll find that (I'm estimating) 95% of people who are against hunting eat meat. There is a HUGE disconnection about meat coming from animals. Meat comes from the store, why would you kill animals?
Old October 17, 2011, 01:15 AM   #18
Kimbertron

Quote:
Most of them do. Talk to people. It's really annoying, but you'll find that (I'm estimating) 95% of people who are against hunting eat meat. There is a HUGE disconnection about meat coming from animals. Meat comes from the store, why would you kill animals?
It is so frustrating! If your against hunting and are a vegetarian and don't infringe on other peoples beliefs, then more power to them. People just need to know that they believe in and actually stick to it. Now i need a steak to calm down :P.