The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
new NE hunter

Public hunting land in NE?

I'm active duty Air Force stationed in Bellevue NE (just south of Omaha). Haven't had the chance to hunt here in Nebraska since I arrived, but want to to take my son hunting this year (11 yrs old). Looking for public places with opportunities to deer hunt this season. Anyone have info on places for rifle hunting? Maybe places that are not too packed with hunters? Thanks for any info!
Old October 10, 2011, 03:58 PM   #2
markj

Look to Nebr dnr page, they have public land and maps to lead you to them. Deer is in regions so pick the region you find and put in for a tag as soon as you can. There are some good public lands south of you that other AF guys have had good luck at.

See if you can get to the bellevue rod and gun club, ask a few there if you can.
Old October 10, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
new NE hunter

Thanks for the info! And the tip on the rod & gun club. I looked at the game & fish website yesterday and started studying the maps. This week I'm driving out to a few places to start checking them out.
Old October 11, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
markj

Elkhorn Valley GunClub will have a sight in this is off highway 66 outside of louisville ne watch the sunday paper for a notice. Go and meet up with them folks let em know you are a AF guy and you will be in like flint good luck

PS if you cant find asnything PM me and I got a place south of plattsmouth we could shoot a deer or two off the creek if my brother isnt hunting it.
Old October 11, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
jimbob86

Welcome to Nebraska and Welcome to TFL!

Not a whole lot of Public land in Nebraska...... develop some local contacts ..... the Nebraska Firearm Owners Association would be a good place to start:

http://nefirearm.com/

Membership is free. There is a forum on there, with a lot of good people.

The Nebraska Game and Parks website:

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/

I'm just south of Plattsmouth, too ......planning on going shooting this weekend......
Old October 11, 2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Doyle

Also, check with the various military bases in state. Here in FL, there are a few military bases that allow hunting. Some have special areas set aside only for active duty military and retirees.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:51 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
check with the various military bases in state.
AFAIK, there is only Bellvue and Camp Ashland (NEARNG) ...... they closed the Grand Island Ordnance Depot.
Old October 13, 2011, 11:56 PM   #8
new NE hunter

No military base hunting that I know of. I'm stationed at Offutt in Bellevue, not big enough for hunting although I did see some turkey on the east side of base one day while getting the runway navaids ready.

So today I was off work and spent a good part of day driving and looking for the public lands just south of the base and Plattsmouth. Ended up on a few dead end roads and several people's driveways. So still trying to find that elusive public land to hunt on. Any (more) suggestions would be great, and thanks to all who have posted information. I think I've spent more time on the internet this week than I have the rest of the year!
In the end, I'm not looking for a big trophy, mostly the experience for my son and I, and maybe putting some deer meat in the freezer and making some spicy jerky!
Old October 14, 2011, 04:00 PM   #9
markj

Quote:
I'm just south of Plattsmouth, too .
Jim, my family has a spot outside of Maynard on Maynard road. How close are you?

We have a creek runs thru the place holds a few deer, we have some ground blinds set up for this. If you cant find a place then let me know and we can get a shot for your son.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/pdf/huntguide.pdf

look in the middle it lists WMAs you can hunt and the game on each.

Tags
nebraska , rifle