The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2015, 07:39 PM   #26
Moomooboo

No idea. But you reallypaid 1125 with shipping and packaging not including ffl. So probably 1150. Id like to know if hats a good price as i as thinking about buying one
Old April 12, 2015, 08:24 PM   #27
leafybug

Guys tell me what you think about the link and the purchase. Also, since we are on the subject,
when making a purchase on GB, is it ok to pay the seller directly? He's got a great rating, but granted, this is how people get screwed. How do I ensure I am making a SAFE transaction?
Old April 12, 2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Moomooboo

Hehe leafy. Man you should ask theae questions before purchase. Ive never gone through gunbroker but id do it through their website if its anything like ebay
Old April 12, 2015, 09:07 PM   #29
leafybug

Well i haven't technically made the purchase yet.
Just trying to see from the experts on the proper way of doing it.
Old April 12, 2015, 11:51 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

There isn't a paypal on gunbroker like there is on ebay. You have to pay the seller directly.
Old April 13, 2015, 04:01 AM   #31
peggysue

Gun broker tells you how to buy it from the dealer. x***x Why ask how to pay?

Visa / MasterCard, Discover, USPS Money Order, Money Order, Certified Check
Sales Tax Seller must collect sales tax from the following states: WI 5.5%
Shipping
Ground: $25.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/HowToBuy.aspx

Last edited by peggysue; April 13, 2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old April 13, 2015, 07:37 AM   #32
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafybug View Post
So I just won a bid on GB. Got this for $1,075
Let me know how you think it did, for it being my first GI m1 carbine and having the itch and all!!!!!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=476791184#PIC
I'm surprised that you bought that rifle in such a haste, after asking those picky questions.

The description doesn't mention anything about barrel condition, stamping on the barrel. I don't think there is inspection period. From the pictures the stock seems have been refinished with polyurethane. I generally don't care about the shiny look, especially so on a m1 carbine. The reflection on the upper handguard goes into my aiming eye.

Having said that, the rifle does look nice. Personally I wouldn't pay that much money for it. That's because I am cheap. I like to buy fixers.

Good luck!

-TL
Old April 13, 2015, 08:53 AM   #33
leafybug

I was going back and forth with the seller, and when the listing was active, he said the bore was in excellent condition. Said it was an unissued rifle, who had bought from a widow who's late husband hand quite a m1 carbine collection from cmp.
Old April 13, 2015, 08:55 AM   #34
leafybug

He said the only marking were manufacturer markings. No import stamp
Old April 13, 2015, 09:28 AM   #35
leafybug

And I had looked on the cmp forums and seen some from 8-900. This one is much cleaner and way less markings.
Old April 13, 2015, 02:53 PM   #36
Smoke & Recoil

The stock on the M1 you had purchased is from an M2, but that's
not a bad thing though.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:41 PM   #37
madmo44mag

From what I see and read not bad; not bad at all.
Milsurp guns are tough to buy sight un-seen. I really get that since almost everyone I own I did not see it prior to it being shipped to me.
That said I have only had to send 2 back in all my years of collecting.
Enjoy!
I love my 30 carbs guns.
Now find you a Ruger 30 carb pistol.
They are awesome.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:53 PM   #38
grumpa72

Well, the photos at the CMP were MUCH better - the one on Gunbroker could be any condition with the poor photos. In addition, from what I have read about GB, there are some shady folks that occasionally surface. No experience with that though, just saying. The folks on the CMP, oth, have a habit of policing their own, meaning, I haven't found any examples of folks that have intentionally wronged buyers. I have made two purchases on the CMP and one on GB, both were good. The GB somehow forgot to mention, though, that the pistol I bought had a small import mark. It didn't matter that much .

I would have bought the CMP carbine before bidding on the GB one, just my two cents.
Old April 13, 2015, 04:20 PM   #39
leafybug

Thanks madmo44. Everything I couldn't see in the description I asked about through email.
He made a point to say the gun was originally from CMP, and after the guy bought it, was a safe queen.
he clearly said there were no import markings on the barrel. -no markings other than the manufacturer markings.
And from the pictures, the gun is in much better condition than others I've seen on the cmp forums. It would appear he owns a small gun selling business, as he has an ffl and also has a great GB rating.
Old April 13, 2015, 04:31 PM   #40
madmo44mag

I missed the M2 stock I was looking harder at the receiver and barrel and trigger assy.
Having a M2 stock is not a bad thing.
You have to keep in mind how old these guns are and not just the fact it went through a rebuild after the wars but how many times is was serviced in the field.
Like it has been noted no one manufacturer made a complete rifle. Parts were swapped between the manufacturers on a "needs" bases. There was a war on and guns had to ship into the combat zone ASAP.
I always feel a little on edge when someone says they have an all matching rifle. The odds of having a all original matching rifle is - well your odds of hitting the lotto are about the same
Old April 14, 2015, 12:35 AM   #41
salvadore

I had an import from Israel that had a muzzle ding and still shot OK. Sold it to a friend who recrowned it. Currently have an import from (?) barrel and reciever marked inland, and imported by arlington ordnance. Both shooters were inexpensive and accurate (for a 30 carbine). Unless you are a collector, I wouldn't worry about matching anything.
Old April 14, 2015, 04:14 AM   #42
Pilot

That looks like a pretty clean M1. Let us know when you get it, and of course a range report and pics are required! Congrats! I just picked on up off of CMP, and should have it by the end of the week.
Old April 14, 2015, 07:22 AM   #43
leafybug

Thanks pilot. Should it in the next couple of days.,,I'll post some pics!
Old April 14, 2015, 10:37 AM   #44
kraigwy

I wouldn't buy a Carbine from anyone by the CMP. Granted some are high priced but not out of line with what I'm seeing on this post from elsewhere.

The major benefit of the CMP is the customer service. If you find something wrong they will make it right.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 14, 2015, 10:42 AM   #45
leafybug

?

He wasnt from cmp, it was off GB
Old April 15, 2015, 03:20 AM   #46
johnwilliamson062

I thought the CMP was all out of carbines.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:48 AM   #47
Ibmikey

Madmo, I have a Ruger Single Action in .30 carbine (7.5" barrel) that I shoot on occasion, when I do it is with double ear protection as it barks like heck. The Ruger has been a disappointment to me as the Carbine is easier to carry, shoots more accurately and a lot more pleasant to shoot. But if you have a Carbine it makes a same cal companion pistol set.
Old April 15, 2015, 07:24 AM   #48
madmo44mag

Ibmikey - I am on my 2nd Ruger 30 carb and both have been great guns.
The one I have now needed the cyl honed slightly but after I did that it has been a great gun.
Both were very accurate revolvers.
My TT33 barks just as loud.7.62x25
I have had more people complain about how loud my Ruger 30 carb and TT33 are compared to my 44 mag with hot loads.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:51 AM   #49
highpower3006

The prices of M1 Carbines are what they are. While I have seen some for less money, I have also seen many where they are asking more. Like M1 Garands, the prices will keep going up, so what you pay for one today will seem like a bargain down the road.

Not all imported carbines are from Blue Sky and on many of them the import stamp is way less obnoxious than the BS stamp. M1 carbine ammo was never loaded with corrosive primers and the round doesn't seem to be that hard on the throat and bore, so it is common to find receivers still mated to their original barrels.

Several manufacturers did not make barrels, so it is common for certain companies carbines to have barrels by other manufacturers. Nearly every M1 Carbine went through the rebuild program after WWII. The flip sights were replaced with adjustable sights and the bayonet lug was added. and stocks were replaced as needed.

Finding an original, unmodified carbine is possible, but be prepared to pay through the nose for one. Your best bet to verify which part belongs to which rifle is to get a copy of Larry Ruth's book "War Baby". There you will find all the info you need to make an informed purchase.

While there are several companies that have made and are still making M1 Carbines, there is no substitute for the real thing. My advice is to stay the course and buy a real GI carbine. I recently found a decent Underwood for $700 with it's original Underwood stock and barrel.
Old April 15, 2015, 12:06 PM   #50
Microgunner

I haven't owned a M1 carbine in many years and all this discussion has got me hot for one.
I think I may order the James River Armory new production.