The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2014, 08:22 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Will all models fit the same

Im shopping for a new scattergun, have been. I can never find the combination im looking for in any LGS so I would like to order or gunbroker the model I want. The problem is it will be my gun before I lay my hands on it. I would like to know if all models within a brand will fit the same? For instance, if I find a synthetic A400 28", 12ga but I order a wood A400 can I expect the same fit when it arrives. Same goes for Maxum, SKS, VersaMax, Benelli etc...
Also to date the best handling gun I have shot is a 870 Wingmaster. What SA will fit the same way?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 9, 2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Virginian

If Beretta says a wood model has the same dimensions as a synthetic one, it will, but the balance may be different due to the weight of the stocks. When you switch brands, without handling one first it's a crap shoot. They list length of pull (LOP), Drop at comb (DAC), and drop at heel (DAH), but often not cast or pitch, which do matter, as does balance.
I can switch between a Wingmaster and an 1100/11-87 seamlessly. A VersaMax set up neutral also "feels" like a Remington. Most Berettas are pretty close. Everything else I have tried takes a little getting used to. The human brain is an amazing thing. Perfect fit is not required, but it does help. It is often bandied about these days by internet experts who couldn't hit 25 clay pigeons in a week. Shooting pre-mounted like most clay games are in the U.S. takes away a lot of the criticallity of perfect fit in my opinion.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:44 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, they are not the same..../ check length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel - and you can evaluate them pretty close based on published specs on the guns on the mfg's website.

Many mfg's will vary those dimensions even within one model ....let alone from model to model.

You may be ok on a synthetic stocked version vs a wood version ...but there are no guarantees.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4
BoogieMan

Well this will slow down my search a bit. I either have to wait for a LGS to get a gun I want in or risk +-$1500 on a gun that may not fit.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 10, 2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Virginian

Note what we said. Does Beretta say a wood A400 has the same dimensions as a synthetic one? If you have any doubts, call Beretta. I should think they would want to help a potential buyer of something other than a WalMart 300.
Old March 10, 2014, 11:30 AM   #6
BigJimP

Another option...is to talk to a bunch of guys at your local clays range...see what they're shooting / you might find some of the A400's there...and if you're conversational, they'll probably let you put a few shells thru their guns....to give you an idea about Fit.

....but among most clay shooters ( me too ) the Over Under is still the dominant gun seen on courses.

I am hearing guys say they like the A-400's but I don't have any personal experience with them / and I don't see many around --- ( the only semi-autos I own or shoot these days are the Benelli Super Sport model )....and part of the reason I like that model, is it has shims so the stock is adjustable between the stock and receiver...and the changeable comb inserts raise it to the point where its almost a parallel comb ...and they have 3 different length of snap on recoil pads....so its not infinitely adjustable...but its better than most semi-autos.

I know Beretta makes at least one semi-auto with a parallel comb --- I don't remember which model ...but its my position, that parallel comb guns, if they're adjustable will "Fit" 99.9% of the shooters out there....
Old March 10, 2014, 12:34 PM   #7
BoogieMan

How much can be changed to make a shotgun fit the shooter? I have done a little reading on fitment and im thinking that buying the gun I like and having it properly fitted might be the better way to go. I just have to find someone who can do the fitting or help me with fitting.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 10, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
BigJimP

You're way better off to consider ....

a. buying a gun that comes with shims that can be changed between the receiver and the stock...to change both drop and comb and cast on and off.

b. or buy a gun that has a parallel and adjustable comb ....that is adjustable for height ...and cast....( this is the best option by far )

Custom Fitting stocks ...are usually best built for shooters that shoot a lot ( 10 - 20 boxes a week ) and are really trying to "dial in a gun" ....and because its expensive, they are usually looking at some higher end guns ( like Kolar or Krieghoff )..../ custom stocks can be easily $2,000 .....and in theory, some stock fitters used to "steam" and custom bend stocks, etc.../ but if the gun has no built in adjustability - then the stock needs to be cut and adjusted - or completely restocked.
--------------
Most of the rest of us - go with guns that have adjustability built into them ( in Trap Guns ....like the Browning Citori XT Trap with an adjustable comb) ....and maybe put a Gracoil system on it ...so we can dial it in on our own. A good all around gun is the Browning Citori XS Skeet model ...with adj comb as well.......both are parallel comb guns ( but you're up around $ 3,000 unless you buy used).

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=621
------------
Taking a gun to the pattern board ....to see where it hits, vs where you look ...is what "Fit" is all about.

Talk to some of the guys at your club that have had stock work done....