The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 8, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Come and take it.

M14/ m1A tactical stocks

Can't seem to understand why you can get Ruger mini-14 tactical stocks for roughly 100 dollars or so ...

but anything comparable for an M14 is at least 400 and more.

Isnt there any company that makes an inexpensive pistol grip tactical stock for the M14?
Old August 9, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Jason_G

The stocks you are talking about are expensive because you are getting what you pay for. They mechanically lock the receiver into the stock very tightly, achieving the same effect that you would get by bedding the action. They improve the accuracy of the rifle. The Mini 14 stocks are cosmetic.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 9, 2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Come and take it.

The ATI strikeforce stock and Butler creek stocks are hardly cosmetic. They almost always increase the accuracy of the mini-14 in most cases.

Plus I can't understand why these expensive stocks look like hackjobs. Some even have wood from a basic M14 stock incorporated into them.

Only a few years ago a few manufacturers sold budget sythetic pistol grip stocks for the M14 such as Choate. Than all of a sudden they discontinue production and consumers are forced to purchase hackjobs if they want a tactical stock.
Old August 9, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Jason_G

I don't know what stocks for the M14/M1A you are looking at. The stocks like the JAE, Sage, etc., mechanically bed the action of the rifle. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle is actually improved. The ATI and Butler Creek are nowhere near being in the same league in terms of function. They may improve certain shooters' accuracy because of ergonomics, LOP, etc., but they do not enhance the actual mechanical accuracy of the rifle in the way that the previously mentioned stocks do. They are not even in the same league. You might not like the way they look, but that has nothing to do with why they cost more.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 9, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Come and take it.

If I wanted a long range precision rifle stock it would not look like Sage etc etc.

I am looking for a pistol grip collapsible stock optimized for close to medium range action. For an SKS, AK or a mini14 the stocks that will fit that requirement are only 60 to 200 dollars.

For 600 dollars I would hope that these stocks are fire-rated to 1200 degrees for 30 minutes and are bullet resistant. More than likely they arent and are more than likely not made of much better quality plastic than an ATI, Butler creek or a Choate.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Jason_G

Quote:
For 600 dollars I would hope that these stocks are fire-rated to 1200 degrees for 30 minutes and are bullet resistant. More than likely they arent and are more than likely not made of much better quality plastic than an ATI, Butler creek or a Choate.
They're mostly made from solid billet aluminum that has been milled, not nearly as much plastic as the stocks you are talking about. Like I said, you get what you pay for. It doesn't make much sense IMHO to put a $1200-$2000 rifle into a cheap stock. It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining that you can't fit Wal-Mart hub cap covers onto it.

Jason
Old August 9, 2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Dwight55

Try this forum:

www.m14tfl.com/upload

Wiggle down a few of the layers, . . . there are some seriously knowledgeable people on there, . . .

If that doesn't work, . . . :

www.briansammo.com/forums/

You should get some good skinny from one of them.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 9, 2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Jason_G

Quote:
If I wanted a long range precision rifle stock it would not look like Sage etc etc.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think these guys mind the appearance much:

Jason
Old August 9, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Wildalaska

ATI and Butler Creek are cheap Walmart/CTD crap

WildgetasageAlaska TM
Old August 9, 2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Come and take it.

Maybe I can find a tactical M14 airsoft stock. They make ones that look just as fancy as the others and more than likely are high impact plastic. From what I have seen the demensions and cavities for an M14/ M1a real gun to fit are there. Even down to the trigger guard lock up and room for the gas cylinder and operating rod. The only big difference is that the airsofts have a cavity in the butt of the stock for the battery.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:52 PM   #11
KChen986

The good airsoft SAGE stocks are a couple of hundred (~$500-~$700), might as well get a JAE or real stock at that point. The cheap ones are pot metal, and probably can't stand up to the recoil or free float the barrel.
Old August 9, 2009, 11:16 PM   #12
raimius

Airsoft gear on a .308 is a BAD idea.
One of my friends put an airsoft BUIS on an AR-15. Besides moving everytime a round was fired, it snapped in half after a while.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:12 AM   #13
Skan21

VLTOR makes some good LOOKING stuff, but I haven't shot it. I just decided to get an AR type .308. POF P-308. At least I don't have to worry about an extra stock!

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 10, 2009, 01:32 AM   #14
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come and take it.
Maybe I can find a tactical M14 airsoft stock. They make ones that look just as fancy as the others and more than likely are high impact plastic. From what I have seen the demensions and cavities for an M14/ M1a real gun to fit are there. Even down to the trigger guard lock up and room for the gas cylinder and operating rod. The only big difference is that the airsofts have a cavity in the butt of the stock for the battery.
.308 Winchester: 165 grains @ ~2670 fps
7.62x51 NATO: 147 grains @ ~2750 fps
Airsoft M14: .20 grams (3 grains) @~325 fps

♫One of these things is not like the others...♫
♬One of these things just doesn't belong...♬
Matt.25:40
Old August 10, 2009, 06:47 AM   #15
lipadj46

There are no cheap M14 pistol grip stocks these days period, the Choate M14 stock of yester-years was a piece of crap. There were some BM-59 stocks from Nigeria available at Reese surplus a while back but no more. I find it funny someone is questioning why stocks machined from a piece of billet aluminum are more expensive than a crappy plastic stock from Butler Creek. Not only that but stubbornly argue the point and then actually say they want an airsoft stock. My advice is if you cannot afford a real M14 stock than just stick with the USGI or do what others have done and make your own from a USGI stock. I hear that there is a cheaper tactical M14 stock coming, you could probably get a hold of tony from Law483.com for more info. Or sell your M1A and buy and AR they have many more options. The M1A is what it is and takes a lot of dough to make it into a modern EBR.

Last edited by lipadj46; August 10, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:08 AM   #16
Come and take it.

I bought my M14s back 5 years ago for 600 hundred dollars. Just don't see the justification in paying as much or more for a stock than the price I paid for the gun.

Actually I have to question the price of these stocks. When industrial and commercial tools and materials are built with more expensive materials and more precision yet sale for much less than a 600 dollar rifle stock.

I have no qualms to use my wood stock or my fiberglass GI stock. Just merely wish to get a more cosmetically sexy stock for a reasonable price.

I can find newly made plastic stocks for every gun under the sun..... M1 garand and M1 carbine easily for under a 100 dollars. However no M1a/M14.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:34 AM   #17
smee78

Yes the high end stocks are made better and are made out of better materials, but I really have to lie some where in the middle of this conversation. Yes quality cost but come on 500 and up for a stock. Its just a rip off, you are paying what the market will bear, someone will come out with a middle of the road stock some day and it will be just fine for all of you couch commandos out there and you wont go broke upgrading your gun. I will just contuine to use the Walnut (came on the gun and looks great) or the brown plastic GI stock ( thrown in at the gun shop as part of the deal) that came with my gun.

Thanks,
Old August 18, 2009, 12:19 PM   #18
SR420

You get what you pay for!

Visit this site... The History and Development of the SAGE Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) chassis stock system

You should also check out The M14HDW Forum, the home of the cellulose intolerant M14.

IMHO:
The SAGE EBR stock is the best all-around modern stock for the 18.0" & 22.0" M1A/M14 rifles.
The TROY M14 MCS is the best all-around modern stock for the SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II.
Old August 18, 2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Skans

I have one of the Sage stocks for my AC556. These things are exceptionally well made. I paid almost $500 for mine, and I'm glad I did. Anyone who has an AC556 is going to wish they had this stock when Obama bans them. I've seen the Sage stocks for the M14/M1A. They are also exceptionally well made. I'm not sure that I like the tellosopic stock (haven't tried it though) and might prefer a side folding stock - but I'm sure that you can swap out the teloscopic stock with a side folder. That's what I did to my Sage.
Old August 18, 2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Jason_G

Quote:
I'm not sure that I like the tellosopic stock (haven't tried it though) and might prefer a side folding stock - but I'm sure that you can swap out the teloscopic stock with a side folder. That's what I did to my Sage.
The M14 Sage stock is mostly used for DMRs, so I think telescopic would make more sense in that particular role (adjustable LOP).

Jason
Old August 18, 2009, 10:11 PM   #21
ssilicon

It's called what a market will bear. For example, an OEM AC Delco 12 disc CD changer for a 2001 Camaro new from a parts dept was $700. Same thing for a 2001 Vette (and I do mean the 100% the SAME THING)... $1200.

M1As cost a lot, and for sure more than the Rugers. Companies figure if you have the scratch for the M1A, they can squeeze you for more too.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Skans

Quote:
M1As cost a lot, and for sure more than the Rugers. Companies figure if you have the scratch for the M1A, they can squeeze you for more too.
Actually, the Sage stock for the M1A isn't that much more than the stock for the Ruger. I think it's $700 compared to $500. Both are very expensive. I wouldn't purchase the Sage stock for a semi-auto Ruger, but there was a good reason I wanted one for my full auto AC556. Anyone who has shot one of these has probably burned their left hand on the gas block - and the 13" AC556 really needs a pistol grip for controlling muzzle rise. Although I've seen some modifications to Buttler creek stocks, they are nowhere comparable to the Sage stock.

Advantages of the Sage stock for the AC556:
1. easy to attach a forward grip
2. easy to solidly mount a holosite - which really is a pluss for the AC556.
3. Rock solid mount of action to stock - no need to glass bed your AC665stock, which could possibly ruin it.
4. Drop in (tight) fit.
5. You can put whatever type of butt stock (folding, telescopic, or fixed) that you want on it.

Was it worth $500? To me it was. Would I pay $500 to drop a Mini-14 action in it? No.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:02 AM   #23
SR420

Folding telescopic butt stock.

Old August 19, 2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Skans

Sweeeeeeeet setup on that M1A!!!! Very Nice.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:22 AM   #25
M1911

Quote:
Just merely wish to get a more cosmetically sexy stock for a reasonable price.
So, you just want it to look cool, as opposed to actually being better?