The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 23, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
JohnH1963

Does anyone have a tactical shield and helmet for home defense?

I saw a television show where they demonstrated that a 2 lb object in an improvised sling swung at the head could shatter the skull. I imagined that common objects around the house could be turned into deadly weapons with such swings to the head.

In defending the household, I think there is a legitimate argument to having at least a helmet and maybe a tactical shield when something goes bump in the night and you are forced to bunker yourself down.

A tactical shield makes sense because there is nothing really that bulletproof in the household and if you have to move from room to room for some reason then you need some cover.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Rangefinder

I'm not slamming you, seriously. But where do you live--Beruit? I have a dog and a house full of firearms and antique sharp objects. If someone gets close enough to hit me in the head with something before the dog barks, a helmet or riot shield isn't going to be of much use to defeat their master-ninja skills.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
cslinger

I am just picturing me talking to pd in my boxers, tactical shield and helmet. If nothing else I am sure mr robber would be worried that they most definitely got the WRONG house.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Protective gear

Shown here is a concerned citizen with his eye, ear and, cranial protection.

Clint Smith did a write up a while back about a lil ballistic shield that had a flashlight mounted through it. I couldn't tell you who made it. Sorry.

As far as putting on a helmet goes... A 165gr Gold Dot to the head will result in severe injury and sometimes death. I am reaching for my Gold Dot dispenser before I worry about a helmet.

I guess it isn't a bad Idea but I sure can't take it seriously. The cops will laugh at you when they get there too but you will be the one with the unbroken head.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
ISC

I have a helmet and faceshield for my motorcycle. By coincidence, I keep it on the shelf near where I keep my carry pistol while I sleep.

I would NEVER concieve of the combination of circumstances that woul cause me to put the helmet on if I had to face an adversary.

ridiculous
Old September 23, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Maromero

Maybe if your wearing boxers no, but if you're wearing your classic whities Fruit of the Loom, it's another story.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
pax

I'd say this one's done. Let's just let it die ...

pax
Closed Thread