The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 1, 2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Tony_F

Steve Tarani in Pittsburgh (March 25 - 26)

Steve Tarani will be in Pittsburgh in March for a Universal Disarm course.

Course info:

None of us like to think about someone "having the drop" on us, or on someone we need to protect, so many of us just don't think about it. We reserve our thoughts for when we have the advantage. Denial, obviously, does not make us any more capable. Should the worst occur, however, all is not necessarily lost. There are techniques by which one may be able to take a weapon from an attacker, and still come away with a whole hide.

Operational Skills Group, LLC ("OSG") will be conducting a two day course, in Pittsburgh, on how to disarm an adversary. The course will cover stripping an attacker of a variety of weapons, including firearms, edged weapons and impact weapons. OSG describes the course as follows:

"In the last line of defense, where you have exhausted every attempt at running away, using defensive tactics or de-escalating, there is one last ditch effort - one final option: attempt to disarm the weapon being used against you. Scope of study includes disarming impact and edged weapons and firearms held to your head, throat, back and abdomen. Material includes personal defense against life-threatening and violent attacks on your person as well as escapes from the most common hostage scenarios involving edged and impact weapons as well as firearms."

The FIRE Institute has sponsored other courses designed by OSG and run by either Steve Tarani or Ben Salas, including courses on edged weapons, CQB tactics for carbine and for pistol. These are full-time, professional instructors, and we give them our highest recommendation for the design and utility of their program, as well as their personal skill, care and teaching ability.

Despite the martial arts backgrounds of the instructors, the FIRE Institute wishes to be clear this is not a course in martial arts. This course introduces students to specific defensive tactics which may be employed to disarm an attacker in order to save a life. The course is intended to give participants an understanding of the mechanics of taking a weapon from another person, and introduce them to a system through which they may realistically expect to develop the skill necessary to accomplish this challenging task while minimizing the risk of serious injury to self.

Please go to www.fireinstitute.org/fire_universal_disarms.htm for complete course details.

Thanks.

Tony
www.fireinstitute.org
Old March 1, 2006, 08:53 AM   #2
OuTcAsT

OH MY GAWD !!! THE STEVE TARANI !!!! REALLY???

who the heck is he ?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old March 1, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Tony_F

Steve Tarani is probably best known for ressurecting the karambit. However, he is a very accomplished martial artist and excels at teaching simplified contact distance defensive skill sets that are easily learned and performed by John Q. Public.

Tony
www.fireinstitute.org
Old March 1, 2006, 04:11 PM   #4
hso

In the knife, FMA and MA community he is a very well known instructor. I agree that he has been instrumental in bringing the karambit into the tool kit and that he has worked up a very compact set of fighting techniques for bad-breath-range defense that are readily learned.
Old March 1, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Karambit. I gotta admit that one had me scratching my head. And... so others don't have to scratch theirs as well...

http://www.karambit.com/

The picture of Mr. Tarani in that pose makes me think I'd be saying nothing to him but "Yes sir, no sir, anything you say sir" .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 1, 2006, 05:13 PM   #6
OuTcAsT

Fortunately I carry my 1911 for just such emergencies

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old March 1, 2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Tony_F

Outcast,

This course is designed specifically for contact distance threats. I'm sure most folks are familiar with the Tueller Drill where the average person can cover 21 feet (7 yards) in 1.5 seconds.

Let's say the threat is less than 7 yards, maybe 3 yards or even less. And it's a situation such as waiting in line for theater tickets or you're in an elevator.

Maybe your skill level is at an advanced stage but most people do well to present their weapon and get off a few shots in 1.5 seconds from concealment. From 3 yards or less the threat will be on top of you in less than 1.5 seconds or at the very least before you can clear leather. The object of this course is that in these circumstances the handgun is not the best, first option and teaches you some easily learned H2H techniques to buy time to get to your weapon and employ it from beyond contact distance.

Tony
www.fireinstitute.org
Old March 2, 2006, 02:59 PM   #8
hso

In the 3 violent street attacks I've been subject to 2 of the 3 occured so quickly that there wasn't time to draw a handgun.
Old March 2, 2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Tony_F

In the 3 violent street attacks I've been subject to 2 of the 3 occured so quickly that there wasn't time to draw a handgun.

Dealing with these kinds of attacks is the object of the course.

Tony
www.fireinstitute.org