The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Laenhart

Revolver for Semi-Auto Shooter

First time poster, long time lurker. I have gotten some great information from you guys in the past, which is why I come to you now.
Even for someone under 25 I have always loved the 1911. It was the second handgun I shot (after a Sig P226, another fine design) and I fell in love immediately. I've shot quite a few other handguns including Glocks and the other polymer guns along with Walther P-38 derived guns with slide-mounted safeties etc., but there has always been something special about 1911-style ergonomics that kept me coming back. Especially the frame-mounted, down-to-shoot safety is instinctual to me. The first gun I bought was a Beretta 87 as a 22lr trainer, mostly because of the frame safety and my plans to suppress it when I can find an extended barrel. I am in the process of finding a Hi-Power to use for my CCP.
Despite this I have always loved the look and feel of revolvers. There is something solid and classy about wheelguns that even a single-action pistol shooter like myself can appreciate.
My question for you is, what revolver would be closest to the 1911 manual of arms? Does such a thing exist?
- Thumb-manipulation: Would a single action revolver be a good option?
-1911 grip angle: I don't want to complicate my training and slow down target acquisition, I'm already slow as molasses
-Short trigger pull. I rarely shoot DA, weight isn't so much the problem

I am a new shooter building my confidence until I am ready to CC. It would eventually be used as a "dog walking gun", i.e. to stand outside the apartment for a few minutes in a sweatshirt and range plinking
Old March 17, 2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Pilot

Two completely different mechanisms, and manual of arms. Enjoy your SA pistols like the 1911, and BHP, and DA, and SA revolvers, but realize they operate, and shoot very differently.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Chesster

I appreciate the sentiment but don't think you will find a revolver that meets your description. I'd get an old Smith M37 or 37 and call it a day.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4
feets

You will not find a revolver that feels like a 1911.

My standard suggestion still stands. Go to a gun show. Fondle every revolver you can get your hands on. Find the one that best fits your hand and natural point of aim. That is the revolver for you. Select the caliber you want.

For me, the Ruger SP101 in 357 was surprisingly nice to shoot. I really like that thing, especially as a carry piece.
The GP100 would be my preference for a general purpose (GP) revolver. However, if it's going to be a range toy and used for busting rocks and other knock about fun, it would be my S&W 25-2 in 45 ACP.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Laenhart

Thank you for the replies, it guess a revolver really is a completely different system. I googled the M37 and wow, that is what I think of when I imagine a revolver. The Ruger SP101 looks very nice as well.
Feets mentioned a gun chambered in 45, if a revolver was chambered in 9mm it would be able to share ammo with my other guns. Are there any M37-type guns that are chambered in 9mm?
Old March 17, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Sevens

Smith & Wesson made a four-inch (or was it 3-inch?) K-frame in 9mm for a short time. They may have been built to fill an overseas contract. They are not widely available, but as revolvers go, you don't get anymore "standard" and "average" than a Smith & Wesson K-frame. It's pretty much what the general population thinks of when they imagine a revolver.

Charter Arms is to be introducing a 9mm revolver, but I'm not sure if they are available yet. No Charter, new or old, is as quality a revolver as a Smith & Wesson, but many of them have made folks happy in the past.

Ruger did offer a Blackhawk "convertible" revolver that ships with two different cylinders...one in .38/.357 and the other cylinder in 9mm. These are much more common than any other 9mm revolvers, and are easier to find. I'm not sure if they offer it today, but they may.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
feets

The Blackhawk in 357 & 9 mm is still available in two barrel lengths. Laenhart needs to keep in mind that it's a single action only and does not have a swing out cylinder.

Tags
recommendation , revolver , semi-auto hand guns