The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Hyginkster

Racking Glock 19 - Please help!

I purchased my Glock 19 from a peace officer who carried it as his service weapon so I know it is well used. The only problem I have with this firearm is racking it!! It is so stiff for my weak (?) female hands! Is there anything I can do to make the slide pull easier?? If not, what can you guys recommend for an easier semi-auto for my CHL qualifications and carry??! I really appreciate your help!!
Old January 20, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
SigMic

Just because it was used by a peace officer doesn't mean it is well used, only well worn.

As far as difficulty racking, I will offer you up a technique that could make it easier:

Assuming you are right handed, cup your left hand over the top of the slide and grip tightly. Instead of trying to pull back on the slide with your left hand, hold your left hand steady in place and push the firearm forward quickly with your right hand. Your right arm's tricep and chest will have more strength than your left bicep. Pushing aggressively will do better than a slow push.

Hope this helps. The G19 is a great gun.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
AH.74

Just a suggestion- but something you can try.

Instead of pulling the slide back, try holding the slide in your weak hand, and get a good grip. Then take hold of the grip with your strong hand and push the frame forward while holding the slide steady.

Make sure your hands are away from the breech opening so you don't catch your skin.

Other things to try are to do the push/pull together. That might help.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
SigMic

Here is a video for exactly this. Pretty good except for the ****-like music when they change topics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8ZRlkdWVc
Old January 20, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Nytelyte

My wife watched them both, she liked it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCf6we-1S4

They both have good data.
Shes 5"4, 115, uses the G19 with no problem.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's what you need to know:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/
Old January 20, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
jimbob86

Go here:

That's how it's done.

There is SO MUCH good stuff at that site ..... Hie Thee Hence!
Old January 20, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
My wife watched them both, she liked it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCf6we-1S4

They both have good data.
Shes 5"4, 115, uses the G19 with no problem.
That's the one I made. Laura still texts me about re-shooting it---she's mad that she looks so angry in the video
Old January 20, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
shuler13

They make a ring that attaches to the grooves of the slide and allows for easy racking.

Brassstacker.com. Glock slide pull charging handle.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
vito

Another solution: sell the gun and buy a revolver. Especially for those who are hesitant to carry a gun in condition 1, cocked and one in the chamber, the last thing you need is to have a problem with pulling back the slide. The extra time and effort involved could mean the difference between being able to use your firearm for self defense and being caught fumbling with firearm by the bad guy. You eliminate the problem totally with a revolver. Each person needs to decide if the tradeoff of reduced round capacity and slightly more problem of concealment is worth the elimination for the need to rack the slide. There is a reason that the j-frame revolver is the most popular, or at least one of the most popular handguns for concealed carry.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Skans

I have a Glock 17 - the stock recoil spring is not particularly stiff for a semi-auto. Are you sure the previous owner did not install a heavier recoil spring? That would make a huge difference in perceived effort to rack the slide.

What I would do before you do anything else is go to a gun store and try out a new Glock 19. If you can rack the slide on a new one, that would be a strong indicator that the Officer who owned the gun put in a heavy recoil spring. Then, if this is the case, it's a pretty easy fix.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The issue of racking the slide is almost always one of technique and almost never one of strength.

Different guns or springs are not necessary.

Follow the link In post #6 (or #7) above or directly below here:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/
Old January 21, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
rburch

Quote:
Another solution: sell the gun and buy a revolver. Especially for those who are hesitant to carry a gun in condition 1, cocked and one in the chamber, the last thing you need is to have a problem with pulling back the slide. The extra time and effort involved could mean the difference between being able to use your firearm for self defense and being caught fumbling with firearm by the bad guy. You eliminate the problem totally with a revolver. Each person needs to decide if the tradeoff of reduced round capacity and slightly more problem of concealment is worth the elimination for the need to rack the slide. There is a reason that the j-frame revolver is the most popular, or at least one of the most popular handguns for concealed carry.
My experience on this is that people who don't have the strength to rack the slide also don't have the strength to work the double action trigger in a revolver. Especially from the J-frames. They may be able to pull it a few times, but their accuracy will suffer because of the effort, and that issue will increase drastically the longer a range session lasts.

As others stated and the Cornered Cat link shows, racking the slide has very little to do with strength, at least if it is done correctly.

A revolver may very well be a better choice for some people, but it can also be just trading one problem for another.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:17 PM   #14
max it

get a spring

hi Ya, get a reduced power spring from Midway or Brownell's.
problem solved.
Oh yea, do learn how to rack slide from youtube also.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito
For exactly this reason, I bought a revolver so my wife would have a weapon to use for home security
Old January 21, 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
btmj

I know a 78 year old lady who has had a Taurus 92 9mm for 20 years. It was her husbands gun, and she keeps it in her bedroom dresser drawer. She can no longer load rounds into the magazines by hand, so we bought her a mag loader. She has trouble racking the slide, but she has found that if she uses a rubber coated pot holder to grip the slide serations, she can do it. With her, it is not a question of arm/shoulder strength, her left hand grip is not strong enough by itself.

After she racks the slide, She uses both thumbs to push down on the hammer drop safety (!)
Old January 21, 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
Follow the link In post #6 (or #7) above or directly below here:
Ya beat me to it, Bri!

I really need to learn to type .....
Old January 22, 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
+1k ammo

btmj....Yes, the elder have trouble with semi-autos as well as women who don't have a lot of strength.

Even my Dad (70) is considering buying a new revolver next week because due to some medical issues does not have a lot of strength and I had to rack the slide for him to make sure it was clear.

Just get a revolver. Easy to load, no racking. Why do you think they always show old folks in cartoons etc. with a double barrel shotgun (kinda like a revolver except bigger)? They can hardly see or stand, but can shove a few rounds into the gun and fire at a younger threat. Not very well, but it is more to get the point across.

We are going to look at new Ruger, Taurus and Smith and Wesson in a smaller and modern form factor.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Skans

If you can't rack a slide, how do you pull the trigger on a double-action revolver?
Old January 22, 2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
If you can't rack a slide, how do you pull the trigger on a double-action revolver?
Beat me to it.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #21
Hyginkster

Thank you...

For all the suggestions! I do own 2 revolvers but I'd like to get my CHL with a semi-auto so I can carry either! Watched the video...great information! Much appreciated!!
Old January 23, 2013, 08:40 AM   #22
AH.74

Quote:
Different things entirely. One deals with hand and arm strength, and leverage as has been demonstrated. The other, only a finger.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:12 PM   #23
AndyWest

Cornered Cat is great. Guys have difficulty racking as well with a new or strong spring, when it's cold, tired hands, small pistol (LCP) or whatever. At first it might feel like you're applying a huge "burst" force, but you'll quickly get used to it. Just keep that finger away from the trigger.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:02 PM   #24
kahrguy

Heres a couple options to help
http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/...al_Racker.html
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186969&CAT=685

And push pull style-http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/Racking-The-Slide-Of-Your-Gun