The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Which is the best turret press?
Redding T-7 16 33.33%
Lyman T-Mag 7 14.58%
RCBS Turret Press 2 4.17%
Lee Turret Press 23 47.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Bottledestroyer22

Best Turret Press

What do you think is the nest turret press made?
Old March 31, 2008, 11:16 PM   #2
hivel37

My choice is not a fair analysis since the Redding is the only turret I've used.

It does everything I need a press to do.
Old March 31, 2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Darren007

Redding T7....Love mine. Its pure overkill, but your grandkids will be passing it on to their grandkids!!! It built like a tank and weighs a ton. Smooth to operate and just laughs at any task you want it to do!!!

Plus, you just gotta love that wrinkly, 1960s puke green colored paint, Redding slathers on their products. Awesome!!!
Old April 1, 2008, 04:47 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

REdding built like a tank and wieghs just about as much.

I have a redding and a lyman and have also owned an RCBS. I had some issues with concentricity on the RCBS spare heads, so I sold it.

The lyman is good, but I don't like to use it on the large rifle calibers due to some flexing on the really large rounds. The redding doesn't even budge and is just as good as my rock chucker single stage for loading the LARGE magnum loads.

joe

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 1, 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
freakshow10mm

Strongest: Redding T7
Best Value: Lee Classic Turret
Old April 1, 2008, 06:16 PM   #6
rwilson452

I think you will see a lot of brand loyalty. few have more than one brand. those that do usually had issues with the first one but love the second.
Old April 1, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
shepherddogs

RCBS. Never had a Redding so I can't compare. The RCBS is way tighter than the Lymans I've seen. The Lee while being serviceable equipment and I also have a couple, is not in the same league as the others.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Unregistered

I don't think this poll measures much but popularity of presses.

How many people here have owned all those presses, and can therefore make an informed opinion?
Old April 1, 2008, 07:33 PM   #9
BigBlack

"I don't think this poll measures much but popularity of presses.

How many people here have owned all those presses, and can therefore make an informed opinion?"

I own a Lee but touched the handle of a RCBS at a store this weekend, does that count?

LOL!! I know what your saying and am only kidding, I know absolutly nothing about all the brands other than Lee.
Old April 1, 2008, 09:36 PM   #10
jmorris

Of those I’ve used, the Redding 1st, Lyman is a close 2nd the Lee will get the job done but it’s not in the same class.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Unregistered

I am curious, why did you end up owning 3 different turret presses?

I have had one for years, and it has never crossed my mind to buy a second.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:12 AM   #12
jmorris

If you hangout with folks that like to shoot you find deals on equipment from people that are leaving the sport. The Lee has since been passed along to a new(er) shooter to learn the art of reloading. With the Lyman came additional tool heads so I kept it to load small batches of ammo. Most of my loading is done on one of 6 progressive machines, so I have more time for other pursuits.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:31 AM   #13
UniversalFrost

I got my redding on a super sale for dealers through midway (think same price as a lyman) a few years back. Also, got the lyman off ebay with a no 55 measure and spare head for 60 bucks. I had intended to just use the measure, and sell the press, but I still have both.

The RCBS is the only one I paid full retail for a few years ago when I was getting back into reloading and had to start from scratch again.

Never owned a lee press, but have a neighbor that swears by them (and swears at them when they break) and while I have tried his presses out I really was not sold on them lasting for long and after all his problems with them (mostly the progressives) he usually comes over to my place and loads his stuff on one of my spare presses (now have a rock chucker, reloader special old style, lyman turret, redding t7, dillon 550B, and a brand new 650).

For me I like to have a spare of everything and I am a pack rat when it comes to gun related stuff (relaoding included). So unless their is something wrong with it (the RCBS turret got sold) I keep it.

Old April 2, 2008, 12:36 PM   #14
AKGunner

I voted even though the Redding is the only one I own. I can't imagine that it will wear out in my lifetime. I can't say it's the best, but I sure would recommend it.

AKGUNNER
Old April 2, 2008, 12:49 PM   #15
snuffy

As stated, the lee turret is NOT in the same class as the others. The rest of them do not index with each pull of the handle, so comparisons are like apples to oranges. Lee should have come up with a new name for his turret, so as not to confuse new reloaders.

I had a lyman spar-T turret many years ago. I used it for pistol loading until I took some loads to a guy that hand a case concentricity gauge. Every one of them was off center because of the flex in the turret. That explained the poor groups I was getting. I went back to the rockchucker for pistol.

I'll have to believe what others have said about Redding and RCBS being tighter than Lyman. They just CAN'T be as fast as a lee. Even if turning the turret by hand to leave a shell in the ram to complete the loading has to take more time. Do any of them even have a primer feed? What about spent primer disposal?

So in my opinion the lee is superior to any of the other turrets. My new classic turret will load anything the others will, faster and just as accurately. I had one of the older 4 hole turrets, which I sold when I got a dillon 650. It had loaded thousands of pistol rounds and some .223 and .308. It is still in use by my shooting buddy for his pistol stuff. So why get a newer one? Because Richard lee made a bunch of improvements in the older version for the new one. AND I needed something to work up loads on for the dillon other than a single stage.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 2, 2008, 01:21 PM   #16
UniversalFrost

Quote:
Do any of them even have a primer feed? What about spent primer disposal?
The redding has probably the best primer system in the industry. The spent primers are routed via a tube and the primer feed system is 100% solid and have never had any problems and you will find the same said through out this and other forums about the redding.

Old April 2, 2008, 03:51 PM   #17
CrustyFN

I voted for the Lee classic turret because from what I hear it is quite a bit faster than the others. I know it makes great ammo and imagine they all do. So for me best means speed along with a press that will last a lifetime. The problem is that everybody's interpretation of best will be different so the question was pretty vague.
Rusty
Old April 3, 2008, 11:36 PM   #18
DEDON45

My Buddy's old Lyman (it was his Dad's) still seems to be going strong ...
Old April 3, 2008, 11:42 PM   #19
jpwilly

I voted Lee but that shouldn't include all Lee Turret presses. The only one I consider to be worthy of top turret press is the Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press.
Old April 3, 2008, 11:46 PM   #20
rwilson452

The Lee Classic Turret has an optional primer system and it feeds spent primer down a tube to your choice of what you want to catch them in. It's primer system is called "The Lee Safety Prime."