The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Finally a new lever action shotgun

Finally a new lever action shotgun

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ction-shotgun/

not at all like those clunks norinco 1887 (even the chiappa)

this seems to handle like a modern semi auto/pump

due to silly laws this gets a pass from magazine restrictions in Sweden, Australia and other countries, not that you need more then 2+1 for hunting but i'd be fun just to stick it to the man
Old August 20, 2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Creek Henry

Don't need but want LOL
Old August 20, 2015, 06:20 PM   #3
jmr40

I can see the appeal in places where pumps and semi's aren't allowed. I don't see much of a market here. You could get off 4 shots a lot faster with a double and it wouldn't be much if any faster than a bolt action shotgun.

In fact I'd bet I could get off 4 shots faster with a break action single shot.
Old August 20, 2015, 06:45 PM   #4
JWT

Hardly a thing of beauty IMO.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:21 PM   #5
idek

Quote:
Wow! You must be really fast with a single shot or really slow with a lever gun.

Anyway, my .357 lever action is probably my favorite gun, but a lever-action shotgun just doesn't have quite the same appeal... Although I see how it could be a good option where pumps are restricted.

Last edited by idek; August 20, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:11 PM   #6
upstate81

Single shot faster than a lever action?? I would love to see that challenge. Im not a gambling man but i wouldnt be afraid to lay down cash on that action.
Cool gun tho. Would like to have one for just blasting away
Old August 20, 2015, 10:45 PM   #7
lamarw

I can see where it might be OK for deer hunting or home defense. In my opinion, I can't see how it would outdo either a semi or a pump for bird hunting. Can't get it back on target quick enough.
Old August 21, 2015, 01:19 AM   #8
CaptainChaos

Well, *I* think lever-actions are fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-26BV-LVE

Regards,

Mark.
Old August 21, 2015, 03:50 AM   #9
Husqvarna

Quote:
I can't see how it would outdo either a semi or a pump for bird hunting. Can't get it back on target quick enough.
but your support hand would be more stationary with this setup vs a pump

and maybe you'd be able to keep on target and/or keep a swing going better
Old August 21, 2015, 11:58 AM   #10
FITASC

The Winchester 9410 was an awesome little gun when it was out
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 21, 2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Bake

Could this be legal, for SASS events?
Old August 21, 2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
Sorry, no you couldn't.
Old August 21, 2015, 03:58 PM   #13
idek

Quote:
Could this be legal, for SASS events?
I don't know for sure, but I think it would need an external hammer to qualify for SASS. Might be other issues as well.
Old August 21, 2015, 09:14 PM   #14
smee78

I think it looks interesting, I would like to shoot it before I condemn it lol.
Old August 22, 2015, 02:16 AM   #15
kozak6

Parts and service tend to be difficult to get for Turkish shotguns.

I'm sure it's a fine shotgun, and especially in those countries that restrict other action types.

For the American market, I don't see what it offers over a likely more affordable pump action.
Old August 22, 2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Model12Win

Hope the Aussies get to keep it.

Looks like a shapely little whippersnapper of a leevra-shotgun.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:47 PM   #17
KevininPa

looks like fun, I wonder........

..........if it can cycle Aguila Minis.

The Call
Old August 24, 2015, 08:11 AM   #18
MarkCO

Quote:
For the American market, I don't see what it offers over a likely more affordable pump action.
It is cool!

At least half, probably more like 3/4, of the cartridges and firearms sold in America offer "nothing more" than a more affordable and equally capable firearm.
Old September 4, 2015, 01:38 PM   #19
herbs

G'day guys, yes, we should finally be getting our Adler lever actions here in Australia within a few weeks. Been a hell of a battle but they're coming now with a 5 round magazine instead of seven. Thinking about ordering a 2nd one with a 28 inch barrel (ordered one with 20 inch barrel) as my way of saying FU to our government. We're going to have to battle to keep them too. O Of course, if pump action or semi auto shotguns weren't so restricted here, I'd have at least one of each, but that's our stupid laws for you.
Old September 5, 2015, 02:53 AM   #20
CaptainChaos

Quote:
The Winchester 9410 was an awesome little gun when it was out
I've always fancied one of these but the Winchesters are seven or eight hundred quid second hand and the modern repros seem to always have 20" barrels which makes them "Section.1" in the UK. (This means that you have to have a "slot" on your FireArms Certificate for it. With Section.2 (ShotGun Certificate), there's no such restriction.) The ammo is also more expensive.

However, I applied for a variation to my FAC to allow me some rifle slots. Some will be lever-action, of course. I *like* lever-action guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZywq2o4J4

Regards,

Mark.
Old September 13, 2015, 06:40 AM   #21
herbs

Well, the first of our Adler A110s have arrived, I've picked mine up and given it a test run. I'm quite happy with it, the lever is pretty stiff being new but it's pretty well built for a cheap shotgun. It has nothing on a pump or semi auto but given the ridiculous laws here in Australia, this is as good as we can get for the moment. If I could, I'd have a Beretta A 400 but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adler!.jpg (56.3 KB, 30 views)
Old September 13, 2015, 07:01 AM   #22
Long Path

I'm glad to see another addition to this interesting form of shotgun, but I'll admit that I really don't see much value FOR ME in it. It will be slower than a pump. It will be a bit harder to get into action, and the long lever throw requires more room. I don't see the point of a lever gun without an exposed hammer. It's not a valid reproduction of the 1887 or the like.

On the other hand, it is MUCH faster to shoot than a break-open.

It is a rather homely piece though, isn't it?
Old September 13, 2015, 09:40 AM   #23
CaptainChaos

Quote:
Well, the first of our Adler A110s have arrived, I've picked mine up and given it a test run. I'm quite happy with it, the lever is pretty stiff being new but it's pretty well built for a cheap shotgun. It has nothing on a pump or semi auto but given the ridiculous laws here in Australia, this is as good as we can get for the moment.
I'd be interested to see some video of you using it. Perhaps, you could start an Australian PSG league. (I'm assuming that Practical ShotGun isn't much done in Aus given that semi and pump guns are hard to acquire...)

I didn't think that it was *cheap*, by the way. In Aus, how does it compare with the cost of other guns?

While, in the UK, we *are* permitted semi-auto and lever-action shotguns, we are limited to a number of "slots" for unrestricted guns. Hence, if *I* wanted an Adler 110, it'd have to have its magazine crimped to limit the capacity to two rounds (three in total).

Regards,

Mark.
Old September 13, 2015, 11:49 AM   #24
skizzums

i think it looks very nice, albiet a bit bulky. still the thought of anything in leaver-action action appeals to me, not sure why, they're just fun. not sure if i agree that a pump would be any faster, why would it be? i guess the combined travel may add up to slightly more than a pump, but if it feeds smoothly i think you could get it just as fast or at least close enough not to know the difference. But, i have never used a pump shotgun, so what do i know, but i do know i can shoot pretty dang fast with my lever .357, faster than i can with my pump shotgun.....apples to bananas i know

but the Alder pistol/SBS thingy, now that seems super impractical
Old September 13, 2015, 01:00 PM   #25
CaptainChaos

Quote:
not sure if i agree that a pump would be any faster, why would it be? i guess the combined travel may add up to slightly more than a pump, but if it feeds smoothly i think you could get it just as fast or at least close enough not to know the difference. But, i have never used a pump shotgun, so what do i know, but i do know i can shoot pretty dang fast with my lever .357, faster than i can with my pump shotgun.....apples to bananas i know
While not both of the same stage, these two videos might give you *some* idea about relative speed:

Lever-action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5svemcFLc

Pump-action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEl2unHnKQ

Also, remember that that the shotguns will recoil more than your rifle. (Note that I'm a *shot-gunner* and that my rifle experience is limited. However, I *have* shot both.)

Finally, in the case of the 1887s and clones thereof, they're a *lot* slower to load than the bottom-fed guns.

But still, I shoot for *fun*, not to *win*, so the lever-action shotgun sees a lot of "action", as it were.

Regards,

Mark.