The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2015, 09:45 AM   #1
SARuger

Maverick 88 20g tactical/HD

I picked up a cheap 20g model 88 and would like to turn it into a HD gun. Heck I only have $75 in it!

Not so much worried about extended mag tubes and rails etc, just a shorter barrel, pistol grip butt stock, shell carrier and maybe a light or pointer. Not all tricked out for show, i want this to be easy for my girlfriend to operate and she can't shoulder a firearm due to a bad shoulder(car crash). She only shoots handguns now. I think she can handle a 20g from the hip.

Any ideas of sources for the barrel and stock? I'm searching with no luck!
Old July 26, 2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Tombstonejim

Hmmmm Bad sholder. My thoughs. Adding any thing adds weight makes it harder to use. Might not be able to work the slide. So she has a one shot weapon. A good pistol might be a better defense weapon.
Old July 26, 2015, 10:04 AM   #3
SARuger

Her LCR .38 hammerless is with her all the time.

She can work the slide, just doesn't like pressure against her right shoulder

I just want something here in the house that can be handled in tight areas, in the dark, that doesn't require exact precision. We both wear contacts/glasses. We are not blind as a bat and can shoot center mass without correction but a shotgun would be less challenging.

I doubt a BG will give us time to find our glasses in the middle of the night.

I think the Mossburg 500 stocks and barrels will fit the model 88. Is my thinking correct?

I know more about Remingtons, nothing about Mossys
Old July 26, 2015, 10:44 AM   #4
bspillman

I'll reccommend the Pheonix Technologies Kicklite stock. It reduces recoil by 50 percent. I love all of mine. I use them on all of my Shotguns. They are great and really do work. Check them out.
Old July 26, 2015, 10:48 AM   #5
SARuger

I like those!

Now to find a barrel. It looks like tactical barrels are not made for the 20g so I will have to cut a ribbed barrel down. No big deal. I can use a saddle mount scope mount for a light.

I think I can do this on the cheap
Old July 26, 2015, 01:05 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
I think she can handle a 20g from the hip.
Not practical

HEAVIEST gun is going to tame recoil better than a lighter one and 20s typically run about 1 pound lighter. Lightest load that can do the job in the heaviest gun she can handle gives the lightest recoil (actual); the gun that fits her the best will result in the least perceived recoil.

Quote:
We both wear contacts/glasses. We are not blind as a bat and can shoot center mass without correction but a shotgun would be less challenging.
At HD distances, not really. Those differences are usually measured in FEET, not yards
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 26, 2015, 02:05 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

A 20 gauge pump or anything else from the hip is unsafe and inaccurate. Patterns at close range are tiny.
However, a Maverick 88 is a Mossberg M500. Uses the same barrels. There's a 20" and an 18.5" you can buy from Mossberg.
Old July 26, 2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Buzzard Bait

switch

Could she switch sides?
bb
Old July 26, 2015, 11:37 PM   #9
SARuger

All good points! Rethinking my direction on this gun......
Old July 28, 2015, 09:59 PM   #10
SARuger

I'm going to keep the gun as is and go with a shorter barrel. Maverick has a 18.5" 20g smooth bore part # 90035.

Calling to order tomorrow.

My plan is to keep it short but with a full size but stock and maybe a way to mount a light on it of some sort
Old July 29, 2015, 07:12 AM   #11
FITASC

Mounting a light can be good or bad - it can dramatically change the weight/balance of the gun - which might be a good or bad thing - that's a personal choice.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 30, 2015, 08:51 PM   #12
SARuger

The barrel is on the way, $66 and some shipping from Mossburg.

Can anyone give me any ideas on lights/mounts?