The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1
was1911

My Co Ax Rockchucker - since '73

I don't have a lot of words. Have had on many forums but now i just say it simple.

If you want to spend the money for a Co-ax press, by all means do it. And if this hurts the feelings of those that have them, so be it. Nothing personal meant.

It's just that I've been a precision machinist for 30+ years. as another guy said, it's not rocket science to align bore a press in manufacturing and most are more true than they are given credit for.

That said, I bought my Rockchucker in '73. Straight up from the first I never bought in to the clip holding the shellholder in. Snapped it out and started using 2 of my daughters retainer bands in the groove (can be bought on ebay cheap). This let's the case find it's own center front to back.

What about side to side? The shell holder is corraled by it's small OD (outside dimesion) in the ram cut out. No real play side to side.
Cut this .010 and you have side to side play, and every other play in the 360 degree circle. It will "walk" the case staight up into the die.

Why have to have a heavy die have to move over to find center on a case for $379.00 = shipping?

Why not have the light case find it's own center for just a tad of trouble to cut the shell holder small ID down so it can 'search" and find it?

Think about it.

This is done on a lathe to your shell holder. If you don't have a lathe, find someone who does and (or) pay someone a few dollars to cut the ID on your shell holder down .020 total.

Any of your ammo loaded, whether handgun, or rifle, will benfit from this, and you will have a CO-AX press.

Been loading world class "dead straight" rifle & revolver ammo this way for 40+ years ( with some help that came later on with the great straight line seating dies we all have now - don't we?) and I've build "straight", line bored Ruger revolvers for years. Why wouldn't I know to build precision ammo to test these with? This is important to rifle and handgun ammo.

CASE SELF ALIGN

Will
'69-'70

Last edited by was1911; February 13, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 13, 2014, 10:50 PM   #2
wncchester

I've long understood the value of enough press looseness to allow a case to precisely self center in a die. But every broken-in press I've ever examined has enough lateral movement in all directions when the ram is fully lifted to allow that self alignment to easily take place without interference.

I've gotten a lot of amusment reading web posts saying a press ram has worn so loose it can't make accurate ammo anymore! My 48 year old original inexpensive Lyman Spartan "C" press has about 1/8" of 'side slop' in the raised ram but it loads exactly the same as my 25 yr. younger RC II when I use the same components and dies.

Last edited by wncchester; February 14, 2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:14 AM   #3
flashhole

Good post, that's why I like the Lee die rings, helps with the self alignment only from the other end.

Are you ready for civil war?