The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 6, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
gunner4391

Help I'm in libreal heaven

So it turns out that my school being like many colleges is a festering ground for anti-gun and anti-conservatives...fortunatley, I've met a good group of people that love to hunt and believe in our second amendment. I want to put our values towards something for our school and try to open the eyes of many blind people. The only true issue is that none of us has any true money to start up our own organization, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some form of funding for such a group.
Old September 6, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
hoytinak

Check out www.concealedcampus.org. They might be able to help you get on the right track. Good luck.
Old September 7, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Liberal is not synonymous with anti-gun and conservative is not synonymous with pro-gun.
Hunting, by it's nature, has more in common with environmentalism than any political creed.

College gives you a chance to interact with people who are different from you. Take advantage of that.

Many campuses have shooting clubs.
Old September 7, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Waterengineer

It has been said many times that Universities are the last bastion of independant and liberal thought. So, flex your muscles and speak your mind, make your opinions known, too.

Which one of the FL schools are you at?
Old September 7, 2009, 06:29 PM   #5
gunner4391

I'm at USF and buzzcock mine does not and you're insane if you think that there are as many liberals that are pro-gun as there are anti-gun...liberal pretty much is synonymous with anti-gun
Old September 8, 2009, 10:13 AM   #6
elkman06

Quote:
I'm at USF and buzzcock mine does not and you're insane if you think that there are as many liberals that are pro-gun as there are anti-gun...liberal pretty much is synonymous with anti-gun
Wow, you come here asking for help to promote your theories and ideology and immediately insult the first person who displays an opinion different than yours. Good luck convincing anyone of anything youngster. I truly mean good luck, I feel you have much to learn.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old September 8, 2009, 10:18 AM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
liberal pretty much is synonymous with anti-gun
Hope they have a class on critical thinking...

I am a socially-liberal, fiscally-conservative, gun-owning, hunting fanatic with a redneck twist. Apply a stereotype to that...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 8, 2009, 10:33 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I am a socially-liberal, fiscally-conservative, gun-owning, hunting fanatic with a redneck twist. Apply a stereotype to that...
I never thought about that...
Funny... I am exactly the same with maybe the redneck part coming first before the first 2... I just thought that made me a COOL REDNECK
unlike the uptight socially oppressive (conservative) type redneck...
As far as the reply to Buzz... I just shook my head! A youngster offered sage advice and just turns it into a reason to spew forth that name calling etc...
I was going to offer to put "gunner" in touch with some hog dogger buddies down that way, but I fear it is not wise. These guys are some fun lovin' rednecks, some white, some black and some of Cuban decent... All require nothing but the utmost respect and one rant would be all it takes...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 11:00 AM   #9
SAIGAFISH

redneck hippie

me and my dad like to call our selves dead necks some wonderfull traites
from dad growing up in the flower power generation,but he was growing
up in oregon ranch country with a good amount of native american
blood in the family tree.I can listen to the gratefull dead while on the way
to hunt some cute woodland creatures,quail,grouse,rabbit,deer,elk.salmon
,stealhead,trout.all the forests creatures have a place in this world,
''right next to the mashed potato,s''
Old September 8, 2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlandrum
Hope they have a class on critical thinking...
Yeah...

Gunner, there are quite a few gun-loving lefties here (of whom I'm one), and a lot more folks who are open-minded and sensible enough to understand that condemning (not to mention insulting) everyone who doesn't agree with them isn't a very useful way to win converts to the cause of gun rights.

And political rants, as well as comments like the one you directed at Buzzcook, are a really good way to get your threads locked and receive some negative attention from the moderators...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
I was going to offer to put "gunner" in touch with some hog dogger buddies down that way, but I fear it is not wise. These guys are some fun lovin' rednecks, some white, some black and some of Cuban decent... All require nothing but the utmost respect and one rant would be all it takes...
I dunno, Brent... Perhaps you should. Mr. 4391 might get a right quick "education" that way.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:05 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
''right next to the mashed taters''
Fixed it for you...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Scorch

Winston Churchill said "If you're not a liberal by the time you're twenty, you have no heart. If you're not conservative by the time you're thirty, you have no brain". Colleges and universities, by their very nature of being sheltered and isolated from mainstream thought, breed liberals. I enjoyed my college years, you enjoy yours (get drunk occasionally, get laid occasionally, etc), keep an open mind, and keep questioning whatever they teach you, and you'll have a good time.
Old September 8, 2009, 12:24 PM   #13
gunner4391

ok everyone is focusing on the liberal point and not the main issue. First of all there is nothing insulting about what I said, liberal is almost always synonymous with anti-gun and you can argue all you want but it is, yes there are small constituencies in every party that agree differently but the vast majority of liberals are anti-gun and they believe that the second amendment doesn't give individuals the right to own guns, just gives the states the right to a militia http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/othe...beral-beliefs/. As far as sending some of your friends over, by all means do I'm half afro-cuban so I think we'd hit it off great...mods please close this
Old September 8, 2009, 12:26 PM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
That would make you a Southern Libertarian of traditional Scotch-Irish descent.......

OP, are you a member of the NRA? If not, join and get them involved. They have all kinds of ways to help

MAYBE....just MAYBE OP, it isn't WHAT you're spouting, but HOW you're doing it........If your rants are making gun friends a little miffed, I can only imagine you in a group with an opposing view and what they must think of your ranting like that..........Take a GOOD debate class while in college. learn tact - the ability to tell someone to go to hell and make them glad they're on their way.......will do you a lot of good in every aspect of your future

Last edited by oneounceload; September 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 12:28 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Gunner, If the libs were predominately anti gun and 2A then they would have banned them in past administrations. I wasn't sending anyone after you... I was going to offer to get you in touch with some south florida hog doggers to get you a night of adrenaline filled fun without guns...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 12:57 PM   #16
longranger

"Many campuses have shooting clubs."

Which ones? I interpret that to mean 25-35% of campi, I think you will find 10 out of a 1000. is not many but a few.
Gunner 4391, contact NRA they have programs,may or may not want to get involved on a college campus due to the hostile enviroment most are.All but a few have removed ROTC programs from their campus'. Stay out of that squishy middle crap and stick to with what you know is the truth.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner4391
ok everyone is focusing on the liberal point and not the main issue. First of all there is nothing insulting about what I said, liberal is almost always synonymous with anti-gun and you can argue all you want but it is, yes there are small constituencies in every party that agree differently but the vast majority of liberals are anti-gun and they believe that the second amendment doesn't give individuals the right to own guns, just gives the states the right to a militia
(my emphasis)
Quote:
buzzcock mine does not and you're insane
Gunner, this is technically known as an insult, at least around here. Just so you know.

I'd suggest getting your information about liberal points of view from liberal sources, and not from websites like studentnewsdaily, which has a strong conservative bias. (How do I know that? I looked at the news websites on their "links" page, all of which are to organizations such as the Washington Times, which consistently present conservative points of view. Many of them also misrepresent those of liberals.)

Hogdogs is right. Most liberals actually don't care all that much about gun rights -- other issues are far more important to them. To the extent they are anti-gun, it's often due to a lack of information, including not having grown up around them. This means they can be educated, if it's done respectfully.

I assume that by "main issue" you mean what you said in your original post -- "I want to put our values towards something for our school and try to open the eyes of many blind people." If by "blind people" you mean "anti-gun liberals," you aren't going to get too far with this project if your basic attitude toward them is as uninformed and negative as the comments you've made here suggest. So the "liberal point" is sort of central to what you're proposing, and that's why you're getting the responses some of us are making.

And oneounceload makes an excellent point, above, about the tone in which you say things, as well...

Last edited by Evan Thomas; September 8, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not a political forum here, okay?
Closed Thread