The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1
xddude

LASERMAX or CRIMSON TRACE?

I'm thinking of installing a laser sight on my sub-compact XD. Does anyone have a recommendation of brand or style?
Old May 1, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
DBAR

I'd go with which ever one is cheaper. I think you'll find that after a while, as most people have, that a laser isn't something that most people keep on their guns. They are great training aids....

DBAR
Old May 1, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Ridge_Runner_5

I've heard the ones that replace the guide rod have a tendency to break under the recoil...I'd go with a crimson trace setup that slips over or replaces your grip.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Oldjarhead

Either one is good

I know an LEO that has had a lasermax guide rod laser in her Glock m23 for seven years and with lot of ammo having gone through it, and has not encountered any problems. The only drawback to the guide rod laser, is you have to use your off hand to turn on the laser switch. The Crimson Trace I like better because when the master switch in the handle is on, all you have to do is grip the gun with your gun hand and the laser activates automatically.

Laser are great training tools. They should never replace your sights and good shooting fundamentals. They are basically a tool for self defense in that rare instance you might have to shoot someone. Under stress, unless you are a highly trained individual that can at least get that "flashpoint" front sight picture on the target, you will probably concentrate your eyes on the threat, rather than your sights. This is where lasers are helpful. This gives you visible, instant feedback, on where your bullet can hit the target. They are just another tool that might give you a higher rate of survival. Wouldn't anyone want that? I have a lasemax guide rod laser in my Glock m23 and a Crimson Trace lasergrip on my Kimber Ultra Covert 1911.
Old May 1, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
ccr

both have a good reputation
423-639-8924
Old May 1, 2010, 05:55 PM   #6
jaydubya

Dbar said: I think you'll find that after a while, as most people have, that a laser isn't something that most people keep on their guns. They are great training aids....

I disagree. From what I have read on websites such as these, 'most' who buy Crimson Trace grips keep them, love them, and use them. I've had Crimson Trace grips on one revolver (S&W 637) for eight years, on my T-series Browning Hi Power for almost that long, and on the 686+ I purchased four or five years ago since day one. I would not consider buying a handgun that Crimson Trace did not make a grip for. I shoot weekly at five and ten yards, strictly for SD/HD. I am seventy-nine years old, and cannot even SEE the iron sights without my glasses on -- and I cannot count on having them on, so I plan with that in mind. (I do practice with iron sights as well, and I am still about as good with them with my glasses on as with the laser sights , but definitely slower)

From personal experience, which was very much like one contributor posted above, Crimson Trace's customer service is outstanding -- right up there with Smith & Wesson's. As for the other brand, with which I have no experience, I read a post earlier today that stated that its customer service was poor. That would stop me from buying their product. I have learned over the decades that cost is a poor reason to choose one product over another.

Cordially, Jack
Old May 1, 2010, 10:19 PM   #7
LOUcifer

Although any laser in general always add advantages in low light situations.

My choice would be CT
Old May 1, 2010, 11:10 PM   #8
mdell2

I had both and will tell you go for the crimson trace, hands down. The lasermax is good and works well but when you install it and read the instructions, the bullet should strike with in two inches of where you aim. There is no adjustment on the lasermax. The crimson trace has adjustments and you can sight it in just like a scope. If you have a steady hand, you can put the bullets through the same hole with out using your sights, just the dot. Crimson trace all the way, even if it costs you a few dollars more, it's worth it. I'm just glad the place I bought the lasermax took it back and let me exchange it for the crimson trace.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:18 PM   #9
predator86

everyone that i have seen that has spent the money on a laser of any sort have had mixed reviews, the "gadget guys" tend to like them even if they secretly hate them..everyone else has a hard time seeing the laser on the target, are dissapointed when they see how UNSTEADY their grip is, at times i have seen them make people WORSE shots because they get dependant on the laser and dont use their sights(really bad habit)..dont get a laser to make you a better shot, spend that laser money on ammo or better yet a class and ammo, or upgrade your sights to night sights if seeing your target in the dark is your objective, you will become a better shot by using your sights and shooting more, not by spending 200+ on a "gadget" that you may or may not be happy with in a month and a half(the next time you can afford to go shooting, since you blew the money on a laser)
Old May 2, 2010, 08:04 PM   #10
jaydubya

Predator, I have stated above why I practice weekly with CT lasers (and a bit with iron sights): without my glasses I cannot even SEE the iron sights.

I agree with you that some people are really turned off by the wandering red dot. They should recognize that it is THEM, not the laser, that causes the wandering. It was an epiphany for me eight years ago, and I learned from it. Now I am happy when I put a black hole where the red dot used to be. I expect I can do as well without glasses, in my pajamas, in the dark of my home. Which is why I practice.

Cordially, Jack
Old May 2, 2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Logs

I went with the CT grip myself. I looked at buying a used Glock 21 that had the lasermax and it was all chewed up in side.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:16 PM   #12
IMTHDUKE

I did the internal because I wanted to keep the wood grips on...it's a house gun and stays at home or home on the range. The laser is engaged from either side of the slide.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO

Last edited by IMTHDUKE; May 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
laser sights