The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 9, 2009, 04:24 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
5 dumbest, most inarticulate, and heavily camouflaged attendees to interview
Well I can't teach anyone to speak or increase their intelligence, but I could certainly make a pass at clothing. If everyone wore their work clothes it would really drive home the point of what a diverse crowd gun owners are.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:29 PM   #27
sholling

Quote:
Well I can't teach anyone to speak or increase their intelligence, but I could certainly make a pass at clothing.
One of the smart things that Calguns did when organizing attendance for Nordyke was to insist that members wear suits. That showed the court that gun owners were intelligent and civilized.

Last edited by sholling; February 9, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:13 PM   #28
Juna

Here's the official web site: http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

Thank Skip Coryell of MCRGO for organizing this.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:52 PM   #29
SirYancelot

This will not go as planned

I'm a gun loving American Patriot. But this will not go as planned. Advise people to dress in their work clothes, great, but you will still get people dressed in gear that will do our movement a disservice. This is not to be defeatist. The Main Stream Media IS NOT our friend. They will zero in on the literal handful of people that do this movement a disservice and THAT is what will be emblazened across every TV set in America to further their point that its crazies that want gun rights. To go a step farther, think of this...at this year's DNC and RNC their were people that went to protest how, regardless of party, the people aren't being represented. And, next thing you know, some crazy provacateurs, THAT DID NOT COME WITH THE GROUP(very likely plants) were put on TV and shown to be starting trouble. They(MSMedia and gov't agents) will find a way to discredit this great attempt to voice our displeasure with the current state of gun rights.
Old February 10, 2009, 04:43 AM   #30
maestro pistolero

Why use a number in the name? By implication, if the number is not met then the event will have fallen short in the eyes of some. I like "Second Amendment March"

I'm in. I move that there is a suggested dress code, at least for men. Something simple like, wear either a tie or a sport jacket; or even jeans with a suit jacket. Regular suit and tie, fine, if you want.

Having every bubba show up in their cammys does not serve the cause. Dress in a way that communicates respect for why you're there.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:41 AM   #31
21CFA

Let's quit saying, "I'll try to see if....". LET'S DO IT!

I'll begin organizing in my state tomorrow if I get TWELVE others to join me, to start ORGANIZING in their state: The bus-caravan to D.C. No need to wait for anything else. It's not until (¿ summer ?) 2010. Together we should have a good idea of whether we get "the 1,000,000" by then. But would we settle for less than 1,000,000? (the Media will give us that name immediately.) Al Sharpton got 5-network coverage of TEN PROTESTORS outside Bernie Madoff's office building! Sure - the "drive-by media" won't cover us like that unless there is a massive no-show or other "incident", but you know Rush, Glenn, Sean and others will cover us, and just THOSE THREE have more listener-ship that the whole drive-by media of ABC, NBC, CBS, PMSNBC, & PBS combined! For my part, I only have a few restrictions on the attendees: 1. NO ammo or guns, not even DEEP-CCW. Maybe a simple empty shell-casing would be a good testimony of the seriousness of this matter. 2. NO booze, ANYWHERE while we're there. 3. NO Camo, except caps, because Obama's "camo-wearing, gun-waving, bible-clutching" marchers will get all the camera-coverage, plus all the hostility from the "I just happened to be passing by with my anti-gun poster" types that surely will show up. Yes, I have LOTS of camo, but "this ain't about Bambi!" 4. Carry your vest-pocket copy of The Constitution, and wave it. What!? You don't HAVE one? Go buy one, or a few, or a dozen. 1,000,000 gun-owners suddenly ordering copies of The Constitution would raise eye-brows at the publishers' offices! How's about it, you dozen more organizers? Is it a workable plan?? "We'll have them surrounded."
Old February 10, 2009, 09:14 AM   #32
IZinterrogator

That's the problem with my new duty position; it's not very flexible on when I can take leave. Hopefully this coincides with a break between classes or a double-start class vs. a triple-start. I have a friend out at Arlington National Cemetary that I need to pay my respects to in addition to the march.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 10, 2009, 10:00 AM   #33
sholling

Quote:
Sure - the "drive-by media" won't cover us like that unless there is a massive no-show or other "incident", but you know Rush, Glenn, Sean and others will cover us, and just THOSE THREE have more listener-ship that the whole drive-by media of ABC, NBC, CBS, PMSNBC, & PBS combined!
So we're going to preach to the choir yet again? No disrespect but what is this obsession we have with using up our limited resources to preach to each other. It's those that don't watch Rush, Hannity, or Beck that we have to reach and those people will never even learn anything happened unless some fool does something stupid to make us all look bad. A far better use for time and money is to do things like sponsor Appleseed events to gather more people, especially women and young people into the fold. Sponsoring defensive firearms training for women at risk is great publicity and attracts the demographic that we need to attract most.
Old February 10, 2009, 11:56 AM   #34
C Philip

It sounds like a great idea, but wouldn't it be better to have the march someplace where people can legally carry? Perhaps a capital in a gun friendly state where peoples licenses are likely to have reciprocity?
Old February 10, 2009, 05:35 PM   #35
IZinterrogator

Quote:
It sounds like a great idea, but wouldn't it be better to have the march someplace where people can legally carry?
You have to get in their comfort zone. They have to drive by you on the way to work and see what you are able to do when you come together. Otherwise, it's 30 seconds on CNN, maybe. Easily ignored. I'm not a fan of going to DC by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think their economy deserves to be stimulated by the food and lodging costs of a million people who are there representing something the DC government spits on. But eventually you have to take the fight to the enemy's home. Otherwise, you've given them a place to retreat to where they can regroup and counterattack.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 10, 2009, 08:01 PM   #36
DG45

1. Who would promote such a thing? What's in it for them? You know the anti-gun crowd can hardly wait for this show to hit town.

2. Of course the crowd will be nowhere NEAR 1,000,000 people which will be seized upon immediately by the anti-gun crowd to show the weakness of the gun community, not it's strength. And of course there will be plants among the people who do attend, intending to tarnish the reputation of gun owners, not help them. (I always assume that any guy who shows up in cammies at an event like this, is a plant for the other side.)

3. Why spend your money in Washington DC?
Old February 11, 2009, 03:53 AM   #37
maestro pistolero

Once again, can we let go of the arbitrary number of one million? We may indeed reach that number depending upon the shenanigans that occur in both houses between now and then. But why set ourselves up for ridicule, by picking a number out of the air?
Old February 11, 2009, 10:27 AM   #38
skwirl13

Ted Nugent Desires to Speak and Play at the Second Amendment March in Spring 2010!

The Second Amendment March is proud to announce that rock-n-roll legend and Second Amendment Activist Ted Nugent has enthusiastically agreed to perform and speak at the Second Amendment March in Spring 2010, provided the logistics can be worked out! In a conversation just this morning to event founder and promoter, Skip Coryell, Ted Nugent said:

"Goodstuff Skip. If you are so inclined, you may throw the Nuge rocketfuel on the fire by emphasizing my personal total support as an individual and as a BOD of NRA & GOA! ONWARD!"

Well, Ted, let me think about it. Okay! Done thinking! You're in and we'll do our best to make it happen! When I pressed him to bring his guitar, Ted replied:

"It would not be a complete freedom rally without my firebreathing Star Spangled Banner eruption!"

We look forward to Ted's performance and thank him for his support in lending us his voice, his guitar and his tremendous starpower! God bless the Nuge!
Old February 11, 2009, 11:57 AM   #39
dabigguns357

I'm game and i'll make sure to be there,i don't care if i'm the only one there.I'm going to start by making sure my gps is up and ready and i'm going to start saving my money too.I think it will also be a great vacation for my family,and a great history lesson to learn.

COME ON FOLKS DON'T RAIN ON THE PARADE,JOIN IT.NO IF'S ANDS OR BUTTS.
Old February 11, 2009, 03:24 PM   #40
Dave85

Quote:
don't think the numbers are enough to get a million guns owners to show up in DC. I'd say that you'd need an average of 1 person for every 10 homes in America. If they can't get those numbers for "civil rights" or Pro-Life rallies I personally doubt we'll get it for gun rights. I'd love to see it, I'd go if I thought (if I think) it's going to work out but I'm not optimistic.
1) There are over 110,000,000 households in the US, so we would need less than one person out of every 100 households to get a million. If that were a necessary number to hit to call it a success. Which it is not. The "million" is a convention based on the hope and hyperbole invested in the previous marches (Million Mom, Million Man), neither of which hit that mark. This endeavor has rightly and smartly nipped that silliness in the bud by dropping it from the title. 500,000 people would still fill the Mall nicely, and (although this will definitely be a case where more is more).
2) This is a civil rights issue.
3) Optimism must be a precondition for success, not a result of it. If we all wait to see if it is gaining momentum before we jump on, it cannot build momentum. There is no opportunity to "wait and see" here.

This thing does not require hope or faith. It requires a plan, and the fortitude to see it through. The former seems to be coalescing apace. The latter must show itself within all who value this right now-at the onset.
Old February 11, 2009, 05:09 PM   #41
RedneckFur

Quote:
1. Who would promote such a thing? What's in it for them? You know the anti-gun crowd can hardly wait for this show to hit town.

2. Of course the crowd will be nowhere NEAR 1,000,000 people which will be seized upon immediately by the anti-gun crowd to show the weakness of the gun community, not it's strength. And of course there will be plants among the people who do attend, intending to tarnish the reputation of gun owners, not help them. (I always assume that any guy who shows up in cammies at an event like this, is a plant for the other side.)

3. Why spend your money in Washington DC?
DG45, I take it that you do not want us to do anything at all then? If not a peaceful march on DC, what would you have us gun owners do?
Old February 11, 2009, 08:32 PM   #42
airwolfe1

I'm sure many of this forum have seen the video on YouTube with the British Citizens doing a peaceful march with their slogan, "We want our guns back", AFTER they had there rights stripped away. One of the British demonstrators believed their loss of freedom coincided with an apathy of the public towards their right to bear arms. They didn't really feel it was that important. Now when you defend your home in the UK, you are charged with criminal assalt or murder, sent to prison for 10-20 years and the criminal who violated you gets 6-18 months. Once it's gone folks, it's gone and you will never get that right back.

Apathy towards this event will be the downfall. I believe it is now properly titled as the 2nd Amendment March, and we should encourage others to drop the "Million Gun Owner" reference. We are, in fact, wishing to demonstrate in order to support and protect the 2nd Amendment. It really has nothing to do with a majic number of attendees. Several thousand law abiding citizens supporting our constitution can be a very positive display of unity.

This has the potential to be a great event. The gathering of friends, family and strangers who have a similar interest, demonstrating for a cause they all believe in. Sounds rather familiar to what our forefathers did.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:33 PM   #43
airwolfe1

Recently Ted Nugent offered his support to the event and desires to Speak and Play at the Second Amendment March in Spring 2010! Wouldn't it be great if we could get support from other celebrities such as Tom Selleck and Kurt Russell to participate as well?. This forum had a thread 10 years ago with a list of the celebrities who either carry, own or participate in shooting events. The most popular being the Irlene Mandrell Celebrity Shoot http://www.irlenemandrellshoot.com/

If any forum members out there have a connection to any of the following celebs, maybe you could let them know about the 2nd Amendment March and see if they would be willing to lend a little bit of their time for a worthy cause. Of course owning/carrying doesn't always translate to being Pro-Gun in Hollywood. Some feel, "It's OK for me to have them, but not the ordinary folks." So not everyone on the list may be supportive but they all have some tie to firearms whether they admit it or not. I'm not saying this is a complete or totally accurate list, just info I have found on the public world wide web!

Tim Abell
Aerosmith
Alabama
Jack Allocco
John Anderson
Frankie Anne
Jeff Ballard
Razzy Bailey
Charles Barkley
Priscilla Barnes
Tracey Bird
Blake & Brian
Wade Boggs
The Bossman
Josh Brolin
Jim Ed Brown
Kimberlin Brown
Jerry Bruckheimer
T Bubba
George Bush (Sr. & Jr.)
Dave Butz
James Cameron
Drew Carey
David Carradine
Robert Carridine
David Caruso
Stoney Case
Bruce Channel
Gary Chapman
Richard Childress
Tom Clancy
Teri Clark, The Wilkinson's Gary Coleman
Michael Collins
Harry Connick Jr
Patricia Cornwell, Novelist
Jamie Lee Curtis
Charles Davis
Linda Davis
Al Del Greco
Bo Derek
Johnny DiSanti
Shannen Doherty
The Droz
Alan Dysert
Dale Earnhardt Jr
Leslie Easterbrook
Jeffrey L. Engel
Sherol L. Engel
Eric Estrada
Skip Ewing
Lou Ferigno
Jeff Foxworthy
Dennis Franz
Brian Gates
Crystal Gayle
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Mel Gibson
Jeff Gordon
Congressman Sam Graves
Erin Gray
Michael Gregory
Vincent Guastaferro
Ken Hanes
Dick Hardwich
The Hager Twins
Stephan Henneberry
James Hetfield from Metallica
Hulk Hogan
Lee Horsley
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Jesse James, Monster Garage
Thomas Jane
James Earl Jones
Tommy Lee Jones
Steve Kanaly
Harvey Keitel
Ray Kelly
Sammy Kershaw
Wade Kimes
T.J. Klay
Marty Kove
Terry Labonte
Matt LeBlanc
Daryl Lamonica
John Landis
Larry the Cable Guy
John Laughlin
Tracy Lawrence
Geoffrey Lewis
Jerry Lee Lewis
Rex Linn
Anne Lockhart
George Lucas
Lorretta Lynn
Sahne McAnally
Buck McNeely
Gerald McRaney
Karl Malone
Howie Mandel
Barbara Mandrell
Irlene Mandrell
Louise Mandrell
Joe Mantegna
Dave Marcis
Ron Masak
Rick Mast
John Milius
Robert Guy Miranda
Shari Moss
Ted Musgrave
Charles Napier
Jimmy C. Newman
Jay Novecek
Conan O'Brien
Lyle Omori
Oak Ridge Boys
Ozzy Osbourne
James E. Partee Jr.
Jameson Parker
Lu Parker
Dolly Parton
Sean Penn
Penn & Teller
Joe Penny
Mr. Perfect
Ron Perlman
Ross Perot
Emily Procter
Lee Purcell
Stacie Randall
John Ratzenberger
Burt Reynolds
Little Richard
Branscombe Richmond
Geraldo Rivera
Joan Rivers
Cokie Roberts
Julia Roberts
Kid Rock
Mike Rogers
David Lee Roth
Dave Rowland
Billy Joe Royal
Kurt Russell
Jeri Ryan
Arnold Schwarzeneggar
Congressman Bill Shuster Norman Shwarzkopf
Steve Scott
Jim Scoutten
Jeanie Seely
Steven Segal
Tom Selleck
William Shatner
Scott Shepherd
Pauly Shore
Lane Smith
Stephen Spielberg
Sylvester Stallone
Frank Stallone, his brother
Chuck Stapel
Michael Stern
Zane Taylor
Lindy Teague
Marshall Teague
Aaron Tippon
Steve Tyler
Robert Urich
Porter Wagoner
Charlie Walker
Jess Walton
Kevin Blake Weldon
Dan Wilcox
Bruce Willis
Weird Al Yankovic
Chuck Yeager
Old February 11, 2009, 08:52 PM   #44
shortwave

I`m in. Don`t want to turn this important thread into political bashing nor one of choosing sides between Dems. and Reps. but we all need to remember the AWB from the Clinton era. With Pres. Obama`s well known stances on gun/ammo control and the fact that Hillary Clinton is in the White House for the 2nd time gun owners will have to fight both their ideas combined. Probably many more ridiculous styles of guns, gun parts and ammo added to the list of banned materials. Obama may at present have bigger fish to fry than gun control but make no mistake, IT`S COMING. We as gun owners have to roll up our sleeves, put our boxing gloves on and be ready for when that time comes. Not wait for that time to get here then start getting ready. A trip to Washington in support of my 2nd Amendment rights is nothing compared to what I`m willing to go through.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:07 AM   #45
DG45

To Redneck Fur: Yiu asked so I'll tell you. The way I see it is that there are about 250 million guns in the country right now with more being sold every day. It seems reasonable to me to assume that they are distributed among at least 100 million different people, (although I own more than my share and you may too). The fact is that there are a lot of people who like guns; and we've already weathered the anti-gun storm and are on a winning streak. Most politicians know that it's political suicide to tangle with us. That's not true in a few places like California, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Washington, DC - but even in Washington DC the Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of people being able to own guns for self defense in their own homes. From what I can read and learn "incorporation" - which I've been told is legally making the 2nd amendment apply to all the states, which it amazed me to learn, it doesn't do now, is the next logical step toward going where you and I want to go with legislation protecting our rights. That seems logical to me. We have to try to intelligently and reasonably convince men of good will who are uncommitted on the issue, or are on the other side of the issue to support us. We're not going to do it by alienating or trying to frighten the people whose help and support we need. Frankly, the words "a gunowners march on Washington" reminds me a lot of a bumper sticker I once said that said "Support mental health or I'll kill you." I'd rather let the real numbers speak for us in quiet meaningful political discussions: 250 million guns; 100 or 150 million gunowners. Lower crime rates because of it. We have to stop preaching loudly to ourselves and start convincing the people who don't agree with us. We aren't going to frighten them.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:59 AM   #46
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

DG45, I would suggest that you take a long and hard look at the civil rights movement of the 60's.

The legislation that came out of that movement, did not come about because people sat at home, and had "meaningful political discussions." It came about because activists were inspired to, um, act. To demonstrate. To protest. To hold Marches and rallys.

Should we do so at the local (State) level? Yes! We should also do so at the National level.

In my opinion, an effort should be made to co-ordinate marches on the State Capitols along with the National effort in D.C. Many who couldn't make the trek to D.C. might well be able to participate at their State Capitols. Such a co-ordinated effort, same day, same time, would be newsworthy.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:04 PM   #47
shortwave

DG45, The statement"we`ve already weathered the anti-gun storm and are on a winning streak" to me, is an extremely scary statement coming from a brother gun owner. There will always be a anti-gun storm going on. Think back to how fast the AWB in the Clinton admin. happened. As far as intelligently and reasonably convincing men of good will to come to the right side of gun issue`s(and may I add,the support of the Constitution and 2nd amendment)that should already be being done daily by every gun owner. I`m proud to say that in the last couple months I`ve helped two co-workers not only get into guns but go as far as getting their CCP`s. Had help with one of them. A year (or so) ago I took him shooting.He thought it was fun but didn`t see the need to CCW until he was robbed at a gas station with his kids in car. He called me late the same night wanting to know about getting permit. As far as this march is concerned,as I understand this is a peaceful march. A show to Washington the unity of people that believe our constitutional / civil rights as gun owners are being attacked. As Antipitas suggested, study the 'civil rights' movement. You may see similarities in some of the Un-constitutional things that were going on then that are now happening to gun owners. Its our Constitutional and civil rights that continue to be challenged. The most important thing we have to do is support one another. You`ve got mine!
Old February 12, 2009, 07:26 PM   #48
grymster2007

Quote:
The statement"we`ve already weathered the anti-gun storm and are on a winning streak" to me, is an extremely scary statement
Yeah... and I fail to see how the "winning streak" applies to California. And before someone says "well just move out of that bastion of liberal whack jobs", remember that often and right, wrong or indifferent, California sets the trend for the rest of the country.
Old February 12, 2009, 07:54 PM   #49
DG45

I'm often wrong but never in doubt. So, go on to Washington. Have fun. Enjoy. It's still a free country (most places) and thanks to the Supreme Court decision (Heller was it?) Washington DC seems to be joining the land of the free. (I imagine the shortage of ammo everybody seems to be experiencing is due to residents of the District buying it up and preparing to actually sleep safe and sound in their homes for the first time in many years.) Just don't delude yourselves that the liberal news media is going to give a march on Washington in support of gun rights the favorable positive newspaper, TV and radio coverage that was given to Civil Rights issues in the 1960's. Not in this lifetime they won't. Don't you get it? They don't agree with us. They're against us. They're not going to miss an opportunity like this to twist this story to our detriment even if they have to make it up. I' ve said my piece on this subject. No more on it from me. Go with God my friends. I hope I'm wrong.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:59 PM   #50
maestro pistolero

You think blacks and those uppity women-folk who marched because they wanted to vote were popular in their time? I noticed that didn't stop them from peaceful protest.

Right is right, and sometimes the country needs a little something to get their attention. I think the civil rights movement is an excellent comparison.

At least our cause is spelled out in the Bill of Rights, they didn't even have that.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; February 13, 2009 at 04:23 AM.