The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 24, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
bswiv

This kind of behavior hurts us all...........

The pictures you are seeing are of a gator Louann and I ran up on a little while before sunrise on Saturday morning. As you can tell someone has cut its tail and head off leaving the balance to bloat and rot in the lake.

You can also see that it was FRESH, having been done during the previous evening.

Needless to say we called the FWC and reported it.

Beyond the wasting of a lot of meat the clown who did this left the remains out in the lake where every kayaker, canoe paddler, water skier, PWC rider......well just everyone had to see it.

Now it is potentially arguable that what he did was legal as he may have put his tag in the tail and then carried off the parts he wanted. And while I know he wasted a lot of good meat I can't say his decisions were illegal.

What I will say though is that we who hunt, whether it be gators or deer or whatever, need to be aware how what we do influences public perceptions of what we do.

We've just got to do a better job getting some folks in the fraternity to behave better because if we alinate enough folks the next generation may well end up not having the joy of hunting.

Rant over.............

Old August 24, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
stephen426

Yum... Gator... The other white meat! Tastes like chicken!
Old August 24, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Doyle

Yep, there are slobs everywhere. I see the same thing during deer seaon (only they take the antlers and leave the meat to rot).
Old August 24, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

An amazing percentage of all people just don't seem to care about anything beyond their own narrow interests. I don't have any answer...
Old August 24, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
myshoulderissore

What a waste... That's frustrating.
Old August 25, 2011, 01:25 AM   #6
BIG P

bswiv,I was on the other side of the state So. west corner & seen no less than 5 gators done the same way. Its a shame there are alot of people that would love the chance to hunt gator then see this kind of crap.I just hope that this sort of unsportsman like conduct does'nt ruin the sport for the rest of us.Its not that much more work to do it right.I dont know if its poching or just lazy either way its sad to see the waste.
Old August 25, 2011, 01:34 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What a waste... That's frustrating.
Very frustrating. When I was in Florida, I ran across more poached (headless) deer, than legally taken deer. And, for legally taken deer... I ran across more in-season headless bodies, than people actually hauling the carcass out.

It does feel good to see these guys get hauled in, though.
One example-
Just over 10 years ago (Utah), we saw a truck loaded up with a beautiful trophy-class 6x6 Bull Elk. The problem was, that we were in the middle of the Muzzleloader Deer hunt. We assumed the guy had an early season Elk tag for the area, and brushed it off.

But... As we headed out to the highway to get gas, we ran across his truck. The game wardens had the Elk in one of their trucks, the guy in handcuffs, his truck hooked up to a tow truck, and his rifle on the hood of their truck.
He didn't have that tag, after all.

And then you get the mixed emotions-
Gratitude, for the game cops getting these dirt bags.
And sadness, from these dirt bags ruining things for everyone else.
And regret, for having assumed the best when we saw him. He might have gotten away with it.
Old August 25, 2011, 08:29 AM   #8
oneounceload

That hide he left was worth something as well.............
Old August 25, 2011, 09:51 AM   #9
cnimrod

a few bad apples

can give us all a bad rap. The "in your face" attitude some have is thoughtless. I regularly find deer carcasses dumped right by the parking lots in our state parks here and move them off into the woods. We're not the only segment of the populace that enjoys nature, let's keep them on our side or at least don't push them to the other.
Old August 25, 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
warrior poet

Simple Rule: "Eat what you kill, and kill only what you eat." (BGs excepted ofcourse. )
Old August 25, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
shortwave

Simply put:

a 'SLOB' hunter....

....of which we should have no use for.
Old August 25, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12
JACK308

yeah thats a waste of MEAT.
Old August 25, 2011, 11:27 AM   #13
C0untZer0

I thought a carcass would get eaten pretty quickly.

Where are the fish, turtles and other gators?
Old August 25, 2011, 11:30 AM   #14
C0untZer0

Gator doesn't taste like chicken, it tastes like gator but probably the closest thing I would corelate it to - the white meat to me tastes like calamari or squid, the dark meat, to me tastes like farm raised catfish (don't care for the dark meat).
Old August 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #15
M.O.A.

im not understanding that because the skin is worth a little money there why would someone just leave 3-400 bucks just floating there
Old August 25, 2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
An amazing percentage of all people just don't seem to care about anything beyond their own narrow interests. I don't have any answer...
Yep. That's about all there is to say. All we can do is our best to make certain that others know that we find such behavior unacceptable so at least it won't happen around us.
Old August 25, 2011, 01:43 PM   #17
FrontSight

Just shameful. I try to be an optimist, and think "Poor hunters, someone got back to the dock and discovered the rest of the body had fallen out of the boat."

But I'm just lying to myself
Old August 25, 2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Bernie Lomax

Quote:
Yum... Gator... The other white meat! Tastes like chicken!
LOFL! Poor Albert and Alberta. They must be devastated.

Old August 25, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
rickyrick

That is a shame, nobody should waste a native animal like that.
Old August 25, 2011, 03:47 PM   #20
C0untZer0

And again I ask:

"Where were the turtles when all this was going on?"

Sleeping on the job when they should be out there cleaning up the lake!

Lazy turtles !
Old August 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #21
Daryl

Quote:
im not understanding that because the skin is worth a little money there why would someone just leave 3-400 bucks just floating there
Some folks are only in it for the kill, and maybe the trophy.

An (ex) hunting buddy of mine was very much that way. He loved to hunt, but had little interest in saving meat and such from what he killed.

He didn't even seem willing to learn what I tried to teach him about such things, and I dearly dislike hunting with someone I consider to be a slob.

Maybe I'm too picky, but here in Az it IS illegal to waste any edible portion of a game animal. In his defense, I'll say that he usually gave away what he managed to bring home. He was just far to willing to toss aside what he saw as unwanted weight to pack out, while making sure he had the cape, antlers, and any other trophy typs stuff..

Daryl
Old August 25, 2011, 05:59 PM   #22
PawPaw

It's too easy to be ethical. I've got a brother-in-law who loves to hunt deer, but doesn't enjoy deer meat. When he shoots a deer, he asks if any of us want the meat. If not, he calls two or three other buddies to see if they want it. If not, he hauls it to the meat locker and tells the owner of the processing plant to give it to a poor family.

It's not hard to do the right thing.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 25, 2011, 06:07 PM   #23
bigStag

He's not a hunter.

Why does everyone assume he's a hunter/outdoors man.

This is not hunting and has nothing to do with hunting. Its a person who killed an animal to eat the tail.

They should be arrested.......
Old August 25, 2011, 06:17 PM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigStag
Why does everyone assume he's a hunter/outdoors man.

This is not hunting and has nothing to do with hunting. Its a person who killed an animal to eat the tail.

They should be arrested.......

Seems pretty unlikely to be a lawyer from New York City.

We might not want him to be considered a "hunter" or "outdoorsmen" but the odds are astronomical that he is. Maybe not "ethically" speaking but I'm sure he's an outdoorsy hunter/shooter type.
Old August 25, 2011, 06:56 PM   #25
chadstrickland

I agree those turtles ain't worth squat....

Spending alot of time on the river I have ate plenty of turtles..and living in alabama I have cough..stumbled across plenty of gators that have been for some odd reason freshly shot and felt it was my duty to take them home and fry them up.

Another thing is that alot of people believe that the tail is like where 90 percent of all the meat is at...I will say there is alot there but alot more in the rest of the body as well.
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..