The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2001, 03:57 AM   #1
PreserveFreedom

...to make a shoulder stock for a 1911 type pistol. You would want light yet durable. You would also want it easy to work with, as so many of us don't have access to a lot of metalworking equipment. I was thinking of aluminum, but I worry about where it will get thin as it meets the grips. This may be a weak point with a lot of the recoil on it.

Old April 10, 2001, 08:57 AM   #2
JoeHatley

I'm not sure, but I think adding a shoulder stock to a 1911 would be illegal. If you really want to "PreserveFreedom", especially yours, you may want to check with the BATF first.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old April 10, 2001, 09:29 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

PF, it is illegal unless you add a 16" barrel. Gun Parts Corporation sells a carbine kit for the 1911 that includes a stock and 16" bbl. George
Old April 10, 2001, 11:28 AM   #4
Redlg155

George is correct when stating that you must have a 16 inch barrel when attatching a buttstock to a pistol. Otherwise you have a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) which means you have to get a permit.

The same thing applies to using TC Encore rifle or Contenders with a pistol barrel installed.

Good Shooting
RED
Old April 10, 2001, 12:22 PM   #5
Wallew

ATF will get you on two counts if you don't add 16 inch barrel.

First is manufacturing of and the second is possession of short barreled rifle.
Old April 10, 2001, 06:07 PM   #6
johnwill

You guys still didn't answer the question, what is the best material to make such a stock from?
Old April 10, 2001, 11:31 PM   #7
PreserveFreedom

I am aware of the need for the 16" barrel or the tax transfer stamp needed to register the weapon as a short barreled rifle. Aside from that, does aluminum sound like my best bet or will it be too britte at the base of the grip?

Old April 10, 2001, 11:33 PM   #8
Redlg155

I didnt' get to see the original post, so I would suggest Wood.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com has a complete kit for $150.00. 16"barrel, buttstock and new mainspring housing.

I would use take the adapter off the wood stock provided and make a nice wood stock to attatch to it. That is the easiest method for a home gunsmith.

If you have access to welding equipment, then you have endless possibilities. You could take a surplus M1 Carbine type wire stock and weld it to the adapter, or get really fancy and modify a synthetic stock to fit the adapter.

Good Shooting
RED
Old April 11, 2001, 01:04 AM   #9
PreserveFreedom

Well, I kind of wanted to avoid any modification to the firearm. I was thinking of a stock that would screw in in place of the grip panels. This way, it could be removed and reinstalled as needed.

Old April 11, 2001, 07:17 AM   #10
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

PF, aluminum probably would be your best choice for the way you are going to attach it. I think the kits for sale use a stock that includes a mainspring housing and it's attached to it. George
Old April 11, 2001, 01:36 PM   #11
Redlg155

I would go with wood. You can make a stock that would wrap around the entire backstrap and be secured to the weapon by the grip screws. That way the recoil forces would be spread to the backstrap and not shear off your grip screws. Best of all, you can do it mostly with a dremel tool and a saw.

Also by doing that you avoid the muzzle flip problems associated with attatching a stock low on the mainspring housing. You can definitely find surplus rifle stocks cheap, or if you find a synthetic TC contender stock, you can do a buildup with fiberglass to match your frame.

Good Shooting
RED
Old April 11, 2001, 05:21 PM   #12
houndawg

Walnut
Old April 12, 2001, 12:03 AM   #13
saands

I have spent 95% of my career working aluminum ... I like the stuff plenty, but I think I would go with a composite here ... nothing fancy ... fiberglass comes to mind, but you could laminate up some Spectra or Kevlar if that sounded better. The reason that I wouldn't do metal here is that it tends to deform locally, so you would have to mate the stock PERFECTLY to avoid all the stress from buggering up your screw holes at the grips ... not to mention that you might transfer 90% of the recoil to the fram at the screws ... just doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The composite will also be quite light and would be more amenable to having varying thicknesses without the use of a mill.

Just a few thoughts,
Saands