The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 5, 2000, 02:11 PM   #1
rr41mag

I tried the method I told paladin about only this time the squrrels were fresh kill. They clean alot easier when they are freshly killed.

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old November 5, 2000, 11:56 PM   #2
Nevada Fitch

yes they do clean easier when fresh shot.I don't know the method you use.But I usually start at the underneath side of the tail and make a cut there and start pulling down while cutting if nessary.This usually leaves a point of hide on the belly.then I pull down and cut as nessary this last move takes the skin off the back legs.Some people make fun of me But I prefer a big Bowie Knife for skinning squirels.I use it like a cleaver to remove feet and head.Beat the heck out of trying to find the joints with a little knife.one chop and they are gone.
Old December 5, 2000, 04:58 AM   #3
Tango Uniform

When I was about 12 yrs old, I watched me dad clean 3 squirrels in about 20 seconds.

I was rather nonplussed.

He had a great method (which I'll have to ask him about it as a reminder) that I'm still fuzzy on.

I think he started by cutting off the arms, then made two cuts (I think) alongside the belly.. followed by the cut underneath the tail. Hold onto the legs, step down on the tail and then pull straight up. Can't remember how he got the patch off the belly.. then he'd make a vertical slice down the chest/belly and run his finger through the cavity to expunge the innards. Finally, cut off the legs at that joint and cut off the head, done!

I know I don't have it quite right as he seemed to move so fast, but it was quite interesting to watch.
BTW, they were fresh kills, too...