The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Trailboss 1st... PB next ??? others ??? low pressure handgun loads...

been loading alot of 32 & 38 S&W for my old top breaks lately... started with round ball loads & I've been getting exceptional accuracy with the Trailboss... but am looking at switching to light bullets on my stronger shooters, & on the 32's I'm running out of case capacity with the Trailboss, & was considering other less bulky powders,( like 231 ) but low chamber pressures on these orginal black powder guns is of the most importance... been looking at IMR PB after a recommendation from my loading buddy / mentor... a quick check of the burn rate chart shows it similar to Trailboss, & well known for low chamber pessures... anyone else loading similar cartridges with a different powder, with good results, to give me a couple options to look at ???

feel free to express your expiriences & or concerns...
Old February 20, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

I have been thinking the same way. Trailboss and Unique are my go to low pressure powders for things like 44/40 and 38 special. Very accurate, but you just run out of capacity with Trailboss and Unique is just a touch to jumpy.

I have not messed much with PB so I am curious to hear your results.

Experiment and let us know.

I would also email IMR and suggest they make more trailboss like powders.
Old February 20, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Stumper

I can't give you a lot of help but can confirm that PB has given me good results in very mild .38 special loads.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old February 20, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
zippy13

There's always the old standard mid-range .38 Spcl WC load of 148 gr cast over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. This is an exceptionally accurate load and will function the action of the S&W Master match pistol. Since you're not concerned about cycling an auto, even lighter charges will give satisfactory results. Of course, when working with reduced loads be mindful of the possibility of squibs. The worst condition being when the forcing cone isn't cleared and the cylinder is involved -- thank goodness for top breaks.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
bluetopper

Clays, American Select, or Bullseye are great low pressure calibers, very accurate, and you won't run out of case space.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
zxcvbob

International Clays is good (but good luck finding load data for it.) I use it for my .380 practice ammo when I don't want full-power knucklebusters.

I think Herco would be good for loading old cartridges to their full potential. It will give a lot slower pressure rise time than faster powders; might not stress the old guns as much as a sharp impulse from fast powder. It's just a theory tho', no experience with it (yet)
Old February 20, 2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the comments & suggestions... I'm getting a canister of P.B. 1st & will do some expiriementing with some light 32 cast bullets in the 32 S&W, & will look at your suggestions if the P.B. does not get me where I want to go... I had heard that Clays is supposed to be a good powder for this use, but don't own any of it yet either...

It'll be spring before I can run any extensive accuracy & chrony tests, but it has been fun doing the round balls with with the 32's & the chrony off the tailgate of my truck, using the mountain of snow piled up beside the driveway for a target backer & backstop... if the weather holds, I think I'll do some 38 S&W round ball chrony & target work tomorrow...