The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 15, 2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Pakfront1940

Shoothouse?

Anyone know of a killhouse, umm....a tactical combat simulator, in the GA area?
Old April 18, 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

No, but simulators are not a substitute for live ammo shooting.
Old April 18, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
DVC9

A Killhouse IS a live ammunition venue.

They ["I]simulate [/I'] a 360* hostile environment. Facades and props are used for realism and to affect particular circumstances within the artificial environment.

Building construction of interior as well as exterior walls are designed to prevent penetration to the outside or from room to room within the structure.
Early shoothouses were made of stacked tires, while many today have concrete walls faced with plywood or rubber mats with a dead space between. Some places require the use of Frangible ammunition.

To answer your OT, I believe Mid South in Mississippi has a shoothouse, and Blackwater in NC. I don't know of any closer to you.

Good Luck!!
Old April 19, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Pakfront1940

Thanks DVC9, I was hoping for one closer, since I would have to go on leave to use it...blah
Old April 20, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
firsttimefirearms123

Recommendations

Although Blackwater (now US TRAINING CENTER) may be far away, I would recommend their ranges and kill-houses to anyone.

They have a simulated school-house, a number of live-fire simulation ranges (kill-houses) as well several types of ranges that provide the ability to shoot from a doorway, window or other type of cover. And they also have one the best driving tracks, with the ability to shoot at target cars (always a plus!). Some of the ranges are so large, you can simulate shooting from your vehicle on the range itself.
Old April 20, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Pakfront1940

I checked with Blackwater and the only problem I have is that they offer courses which don't seem "price-friendly" but if I could get 8 or so people to go with me I could probably convince my further ups that it could be "pre" pre-deployment training...
Old April 21, 2009, 10:16 AM   #7
SigSauerIsBetter

US Training/Blackwater Custom Class

PakFront,

I have had the opportunity to work with Blackwater/US Training as a technical contractor for the past couple of years. In exchange for services, I have worked up a credit with them so that my buddy and I can get training. If you are setting up a class, please let me know as we might join in on the fun.

I've taken a bunch of personalized training with them and it's worth it. My buddy and I have done Handgun (Live & Simunition), Carbine, Shotgun, and Driver training. I also got to go out and put on the K-9 suits so they could practice "releasing the hounds". I have been trained by the US Army and other organizations, but Blackwater/US Training was by far the best experience.

Best
Drew

Manage Firearms Usage Online
http://www.rangelog.com
Old April 21, 2009, 10:19 AM   #8
SigSauerIsBetter

Silver Eagle Group

Expensive, but has a situation house (driving, school, bar/night club, and office environment). I have not taken the walkthrough tour yet, but it looks promising. It's located in Ashburn, Virginia. Not a plug, just stating what I know.

Best,
Drew

Manage Firearms Usage Online
http://www.rangelog.com
Old May 22, 2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Jason F

Pakfront-

You might not believe this, but the Richmond County guys have a shoothouse, driving track- actually, a pretty cool facility (from what I remember- it was several years ago that I was there).

I'm buddies with one of the few non-LEO trainers at the facility, and we had an hour or two to kill one afternoon and he took me out there and showed me around and we spent 10 minutes on one of the pistol ranges.

So yes, there is a shoothouse even local to you- the question is, can you get on it? Check with any friends in the PD as they might have some connections, but I'm thinking that your best bet is to befriend any one of the trainers/higher-ups in the PD chain who could possibly pull some favors and get you some time out there.