The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Old Shooter

FTF from my Buck Mark - found the problem!

I have this on another forum but it probably belongs here.

I have a Buck Mark Bullseye that I just got used. Well taken care of but I'm getting a lot of FTF from both CCI Blazers and from Federal - light hits on the case. I installed a new firing pin and spring with no difference. I even preaned the old pin to give it a little more length with no difference.

Hammer spring?

Last edited by Old Shooter; April 7, 2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:39 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

one possibility

I haven't seen it on the buckmark, but on many 45's, the hole where the firing pin lives shaves off slivers of brass sometimes which impede the firing pin. To cure this I chamfer the hole with a knife blade. This prevents the brass from the case from catching on the hole and being shaved off. This might not be the problem, but I would definitely check out the hole and make sure no debris is in it blocking the firing pin from striking correctly. Good luck.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:42 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

one possibility

I haven't seen it on the buckmark, but on many 45's, the hole where the firing pin lives shaves off slivers of brass sometimes which impede the firing pin. To cure this I chamfer the hole with a knife blade. This prevents the brass from the case from catching on the hole and being shaved off. This might not be the problem, but I would definitely check out the hole and make sure no debris is in it blocking the firing pin from striking correctly.

One more thing to check is the amount of hammer energy you have. You may need to have a smith check it for you. You may not be gettting enough energy from the hammer to cause detonation which sometimes occurs.

Good luck.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4
cntryboy1289

one possibility

One thing to check is the amount of hammer energy you have. You may need to have a smith check it for you. You may not be gettting enough energy from the hammer to cause detonation which sometimes occurs. Most likely the spring needs to be replaced from many rounds of shooting. I had this occur with a brand new 10/22mag the other day. I had to replace the hammer spring due to lack of energy. It wouldn't fire any of the brands I tried in it. I adjusted the firing pin first just like you did to no avail.

I haven't seen it on the buckmark, but on many 45's, the hole where the firing pin lives shaves off slivers of brass sometimes which impede the firing pin. To cure this I chamfer the hole with a knife blade. This prevents the brass from the case from catching on the hole and being shaved off. This might not be the problem, but I would definitely check out the hole and make sure no debris is in it blocking the firing pin from striking correctly.

Good luck.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Old Shooter

Found the problem

It pays to have friends who are tool makers and engineers. It was neither the firing pin, the firing pin spring, OR the hammer spring. It was a mistake in the manufacturing.

Whenever I fired the gun I felt some blowback on the LEFT hand. It turned out that the bolt was not closing completely and accordingly it did not hit the rim hard. We're talking maybe 1/100 of an inch - could not see it but could measure it. The feedramp was too high and holding the bolt back just enough to cause a light hit and FTF on cheap amo - the good stuff has a higher rim thickness so the round went off but the cheaper stuff was inconsistant.

He milled the ramp just a hair and now there's no blowback to the left and it fires anything.