The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2015, 07:10 PM   #26
FITASC

Besides Savage, AyA made double guns for Sears and they are really cheap compared to their own branded new guns which start at about $4000 and go WAY from there

The Sears versions were called Matadors
Old January 15, 2015, 07:38 PM   #27
Doyle

The Sears O/U was made by Antonio Zoli. I've got one in 20ga.
Old January 15, 2015, 10:58 PM   #28
hartcreek

Marlin

This is my Marlin Model 19. Marline declared these unsafe to shoot because owners would chuck in a highpower 2 3/4 inch shell and after a few the single locking lug would break and the bolt would come flying out.

Fortunately for me this shotgun spent its time in a closet and the owner only shot the 8500 psi loads.

Some of you may remember me asking about loading specs for old 2 1/2 inch hulls. This old girl still shoot sweet with the hulls that I load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.JPG (95.7 KB, 22 views)
Old January 16, 2015, 12:55 AM   #29
Bake

That Model 19 looks pretty sweet...

By the way, do you have to cut your hulls & wads, or do you have a souse for them?
Old January 16, 2015, 02:56 AM   #30
hartcreek

Blake I cut my hulls after I run them through a full sizer die and have made sure that they resized by chambering them in the Marlin. I am just using regular wads for 1 1/8 oz.
Old January 17, 2015, 05:52 PM   #31
smallbudget

"All the time I see racks full of single shot and double barrel shotguns. Some are pricey, but many are quite reasonable. What are some sleepers out there that are good shotguns, but may be not as well known and could still be had at a decent price?"

I bought a revelation 310 in .410 for 150. Thats a mossberg 500 and for around 275 I could have gotten it out the door at wally world. Of course I like my walnut better and to me the fact that in was sold by western auto stores, and that type of thing is an era gone by, makes it worth not 10 to 20% less but adds a coolness factor.
There is a guy selling a revelation in 12 guage on armslist locally for 175 and will probably go 150.
I traded into a series one 311c (stevens) at around 250 in 20 guage. Walnut no beachwood, and case hardened receiver. This is the same gun as the fox b. No not an a h but hey, say what you will. Just do it after you see it and shoot it. Good stuff.
Not a shot gun but if ya like rimfires look at the 511 and 5teens remington bolt action. Have yet to shoot one that wasn't accurate.
Will any of these gain lotsa value, probably not.
So many great and small budget choices. Life is good. One curmudgeon's perspective.