The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
fatrabbit

What are the odds??

For some reason, my brother likes to carry a single .45 round in
jeans pocket with his loose change. Is he gonna hurt himself? Can the round go "BANG"?
Old March 29, 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Chipw

I really doubt that the round will discharge in his pocket being that it's centerfire. If it was a rimfire thats a different story.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
GuyM9

"I really doubt that the round will discharge in his pocket being that it's centerfire. If it was a rimfire thats a different story. "

Why? What could you carry in your pocket that could set off a rim fire? The cartridge is not being held in place by anything solid so I see no way for anything to set it off.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
mrray13

Never say never....look at the photos that Jim March just posted about the OMBH that set off 5 rounds in a wreck..

It would take something extreme, but there is always the chance. Would I worry about it? No. Would I worry more if it was rimfire? Yes, but just because of the contact area involved. Not saying it would be more likely with a rimfire, but it does make sense that it would be.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:36 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
For some reason, my brother likes to carry a single .45 round in
jeans pocket with his loose change. Is he gonna hurt himself? Can the round go "BANG"?
No and no. Don't worry about it.

I have a random round or two in my back pocket, with my change, most of the time. It won't go off.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 29, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
TeamTurpin

For the average person, not a problem. With my luck though, I'd send a bullet through my privates the first time I tried it. Then get hit by lightening.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
oldgunsmith

Not the best way to carry ammo, but not likely enough things would go wrong to set off a round in your pocket.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:54 PM   #8
okiewita40

Carrying a few rounds in your pocket is not going to hurt anything. My Grandfather always carried 4 or 5 22lr rounds in his pocket for 40 years or better. Nothing ever happened to them.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
JimmyR

The only concern I could see would be if for some reason the cartridge was to somehow get compressed and end up setting the bullet in the cartridge. I know it normally takes significant pressure, but I could see it possibly happening, especially with cheaper ammo.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:52 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What could you carry in your pocket that could set off a rim fire?
The "primer" in a rimfire is a lot less well protected than the primer in a centerfire. There's the potential that anything that damages the rim sufficiently could set it off.

That said I wouldn't worry about either a rimfire or centerfire going off from rattling around in a pocket with loose change. However, I'd be very careful to never throw a 9V battery into that pocket. If the terminals of the battery get across the round, enough heat might be generated to spark the primer.

But even if the round were to go off, it probably wouldn't be catastrophic. Without anything containing the round, neither the bullet or the casing would go very far or very fast. I certainly wouldn't want an uncontained round to go off in my pocket, but I don't think it's likely to cause anything other than a fairly minor injury if it were to happen.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Venom1956

yeah I've found random ammo in my jeans all the time. Its fine.

You get great looks when you pull em out mixed with change to find a few dimes or something at the local shop!

I try to keep them outta the washer cuz when they rattle around in there the misses yells at me. Also its kinda cool cause there will be a small pile of assorted bullets next to the washing machine.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 30, 2013, 01:14 AM   #12
9mm

My take from bulk ammo

Lose bulk ammo is rattled around in a box with other ammo(flat surfaces like coins) no it wont go off. But it's dumb idea, no need to carry ammo around that you arn't carrying caliber. Might as well, carry a 9mm 40cal 45acp 38sp and 357 mag incase you find a gun in either caliber!
Old March 30, 2013, 06:54 AM   #13
Tinner666

Quote:
yeah I've found random ammo in my jeans all the time. Its fine.

You get great looks when you pull em out mixed with change to find a few dimes or something at the local shop!

I try to keep them outta the washer cuz when they rattle around in there the misses yells at me. Also its kinda cool cause there will be a small pile of assorted bullets next to the washing machine.
That's me. As a 'tad', I'd go to the hardware and buy a box or two of 22 and dump them in my pockets. I still finds loose rounds in different pockets. Washer doesn't seem to hurt them either. Some have made it through the dryer.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

He is not going to have a negligent discharge from carrying a round in his pants pocket.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:30 AM   #15
BobNH

Don't you remember Barny Fife! Proper carry is shirt pocket
Old March 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #16
jglsprings

Well, they won't go off in the pocket in the washing machine. ;-)

Commas save lives...
Old March 30, 2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Bob Wright

BobNH said:
Quote:
Don't you remember Barny Fife! Proper carry is shirt pocket
Funny you mention that. The breast pocket of a man's suit coat or sport coat (where some carry the handkerchief) was originally called "the bullet pocket."

Bob Wright
Old March 31, 2013, 12:21 AM   #18
DaleA

If I Remember Correctly (and I might be missing a point here) somebody got in trouble crossing the US-Mexico border because they had a .22 round on them or in their truck...no gun at all, just the ammo.

Might also be a problem at the airport. Also quite a few government buildings, not just courthouses, have security check points that might cause problems.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:10 AM   #19
dakota.potts

I asked out NRA first steps instructor if a centerfire round could go off when dropped. He told me it would be like winning the lottery but that even if it does, the gases lack the direction to make the bullet move with any real force.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:44 AM   #20
chris in va

I have a weird thing for heavy objects. Silver coins or 45 rounds. Something soothing about flipping one around in my hand. I can certainly understand why he'd carry one in his pocket.

However I really don't do it much in case I forget to take it out if I go to a courthouse or other federal building.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:07 AM   #21
1goodshot

Barney Fife did it for years without any problems.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:19 AM   #22
Hawg

A vacuum cleaner will set off a .22 round but it doesn't hurt anything.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:14 PM   #23
Venom1956

Quote:
A vacuum cleaner will set off a .22 round but it doesn't hurt anything.
On that topic so do lawnmowers. I'll never leave a dud or dropped .22 in the grass again. My mother saw to that.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; April 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:20 PM   #24
eman

I doubt it will ever be a problem, if it makes him happy, let him carry it.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:31 AM   #25
mete

If you have ammo in your pocket make sure you don't have batteries in the pocket !!!
Batteries in pocket is never a good idea !