The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 2, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1
maxman894

Need Handgun Info About Wyoming Elk Hunt!

Hello everybody, new to the forums, and not completely sure how to do this, but here goes... My dad, his friend, and myself are going to Wyoming this fall on an elk rifle hunt. I will be using my Remington 700 30-06, definately enough caliber, so that isn't the issue.

My question is, since I am only 15, is it possible/legal for me to carry a handgun as a sidearm, most likely a revolver (.44 mag), for bears and other self defense needs? I would most likely always have my rifle, so this would be mostly a last resort type of thing.

I'm not completely sure about the laws, so I just wanted to check in here first, before I went to the trouble of calling Wyoming Fish and Game.

Thanks Guys.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:02 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Bear Spray is the answer... Not a .44 mag...

You didn't say whether you are from Wyoming or not.. But they have what's called the Guide Law.. Which states that as a non-resident you must be guided on your big game hunt if you are hunting in a Wilderness Area and not on BLM or Private land..

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; July 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:17 AM   #3
maxman894

Sorry man, I'm from Ohio, so its non resident. Didn't even think to post that! *face palm* We are guided, but there may be times where I'm off with only my dad or someone, since he has been here before. Does bear spray work well? I assume it does, but I'm not very knowledgeable in the field of sprays.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

If your guide is decent... When you get to camp... They should sit you down and have a "bear talk" and then provide you with a can of bear spray and instruct you how to use it.. Bears are not a problem everywhere... Where will you be hunting in Wyoming??

Bear spray is the best deterrent... It works...
Old July 3, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
maxman894

Big Horn Mountains, right below the Crow Indian Reservation. Like, on the border of it. It should prove to be interesting, since it will be my first trip out west.
Old July 4, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Buzzcook

I got caught in a snow storm on July 2nd in the Big Horn mountains. If you can make the trip down to Cody and visit the museum.

Forget the handgun, you'll be carrying a rifle. Even then bear spray is the better option.
Old July 4, 2011, 05:13 PM   #7
big al hunter

Bear spray will stop a bear that will take the 44 mag and keep coming You will need hundreds of rounds of ammo worth of practice to get the bullet in the right place in the heat of the moment, the spray will work better without practice.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:52 PM   #8
elkman06

Wyoming is an open carry state. You may carry your pistol. The question remains as to whether you need or want to. Unless it is an airweight,,,kinda heavy for someone coming to this elevation and hiking, etc.
The BigHorns does not have a Griz population that I know of. Possible but not many if so. Black bears are not a concern, they will go the other way.
I feel perfectly at home w/ my 30/06 in bear country.
Take it if you want, brag about it at camp, not really necessary to carry it.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 9, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
oneounceload

Your lungs are going to be screaming for every oz of oxygen at higher elevations, so weight becomes crucial, and as mentioned, spray works better

One other thing, if you don't have your boots broken in yet, you better get started

Good luck and post pics when you get back
Old July 9, 2011, 09:17 PM   #10
BIG P

+ 1 on the lung thing hunted at 11,ooo ft last year thought the trip was going to kill me.Game ranger saved me said eat rolaids & orange juice never would of figgered that.WE did the bear spray thing,never seen a bear. good luck
Old July 9, 2011, 09:22 PM   #11
maxman894

Oneounceload, buying my boots sometime next week, and I'm planning on walking at least 3 or 4 days a week, until we go, to break them in. Going big and buying a set of Danner Pronghorns!
Old July 9, 2011, 09:23 PM   #12
maxman894

Would I be better served to bring an sp101 .357 that we already have, even though it's a little light for bears?
Old July 9, 2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Buzzcook

Quote:
Would I be better served to bring an sp101 .357 that we already have, even though it's a little light for bears?
Compared to bear spray? No you would not be better served.
.357 is perfectly fine for black bear. Not recommended for grizzly.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:58 PM   #14
maxman894

Black bear is all I need it for.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:49 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

Hi. The NRA's State law page is silent about minors and handguns. The guide will be able to tell you though.
Mind you, Yogi isn't interested in you. However, if you can't deal with him using a .30-06, a .44 Mag isn't going help. It takes a great deal of skill to place the shot right with a handgun too. And it still won't stop him inhis tracks. In any case, if Yogi is within 100 yards, you'll never be fast enough. He can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
"...planning on walking at least..." Wear 'em all the time.
Old July 17, 2011, 04:35 PM   #16
maxman894

Another question. I have the chance to buy a .45ACP sig. Would that be any better than a .44?
Old July 17, 2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Deja vu

I am from Idaho and so the hunting is very similar. I would recommend not carrying a pistol if you are not use to the altitude. Carry the rifle and some bear spray. Too much stuff to carry will kill you... at least make you very tired.

Quote:
Another question. I have the chance to buy a .45ACP sig. Would that be any better than a .44?
If you really must carry a handgun I would go with what ever you shoot better...

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 17, 2011, 09:10 PM   #18
reloader28

Leave your pistol and that stupid bear spray at home.
Its just extra weight.
There aint no grizzlies in the Bighorns.
There are black bears, but dont worry about them.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:21 PM   #19
maxman894

Thanks for all of your help everybody. Excuse my ignorance about these types of things. Plus, I'm a mighty curious fellow at times
Old July 18, 2011, 08:28 AM   #20
taylorce1

Nothing wrong with being curious, and asking questions. If you want to carry a pistol go for it, but I'd only carry it after the elk was down and you are packing out the meat. Until that time why use it for bear defense when any rifle you carry suitable for elk will have more stopping power than any of the pistols you have for carrying.
Old July 18, 2011, 12:20 PM   #21
kraigwy

I hunt the big horns. If you are hunting with a rifle, the pistol is just added weight that I DON'T WANT.

If you want to hunt with a pistol/revolver, Wyoming law states that the pistol/rifle round needs to develope 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards.

The F&G wardens assume the 44 mag meets those guidlines, you're goint to be hard pressed to convince them a 357 will develop that much energy at 100 yards.

Now I do carry my 642 in my pocket all the time, including hunting. I figure the only time I'd use it would be to shoot my horse if he dumps me in one of those icy creesk they have up there.

I have used that little 38 to gather some little cotton tails to put on the spit while sitting around the fire in the evening.

I have a lot of heavy pistols, but I having carried them in the field since I moved back to Wyoming in 1994.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 18, 2011, 01:27 PM   #22
maxman894

I am hunting with a rifle, so I'm thinking of just leaving the pistol at home...
Old July 19, 2011, 08:48 PM   #23
longranger

I would encourage a sidearm in the Big Horns(in competent hands) not for bears or wolves.Flatlanders and their uncontrolled dogs are a bigger threat on the trails in the Big Horns.To many encounters with idiots and their ill trained dogs. If a dog threatens me on the trail I will shoot the dog,no bear spray,you better check your wind before deploying,it may be you getting the worst of it,the wind blows in Wyoming !
Old July 20, 2011, 07:13 AM   #24
chucknbach

Careful there Loneranger. No one likes a dog hater.
The most dangerous animal on the mountain walks on two legs.
Old July 20, 2011, 02:04 PM   #25
maxman894

Amen Chuck... Ok guys, so the general consensus (sp?) I seem to be getting getting is to not worry about a big hog leg 44. However, I have the option of carrying a lightweight .357, or Springfield XD .40 with me. I am thinking of taking one of these guns, probably the .40, because of weight, ammo capacity, and it will save me big money. I don't want to carry spray because of wind. Plus, I am very comfortable with the XD. Any reccomendations for ammo?

Tags
elk , handgun , hunting , revolver , wyoming