The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 12, 2014, 08:53 AM   #2826
Colt46

Issa is a politician

It's pretty clear to me he's used F&F as a means to promote his own career. I really don't think he's all that interested in the truth. He'll settle for something far less if he can advance his own ends.
Old March 12, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2827
Tom Servo
Staff

You're right. If he wanted justice, he could have gone after folks on the ground in the Phoenix field division. Instead, he had to go directly after the US Attorney General, even though he didn't know the extent of Holder's knowledge of the operation.

The result? A marginal media blitz, followed by the President effectively shutting down the investigation via executive privilege. Issa got to play the inquisitor for the cameras, but in the end, nobody's been prosecuted and nobody is likely to be.
Old March 12, 2014, 11:25 AM   #2828
zxcvbob

Quote:
It's pretty clear to me he's used F&F as a means to promote his own career. I really don't think he's all that interested in the truth. He'll settle for something far less if he can advance his own ends.
I said that here (very inelegantly, I might add ) almost exactly a year ago.
Old March 12, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2829
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
The result? A marginal media blitz, followed by the President effectively shutting down the investigation via executive privilege. Issa got to play the inquisitor for the cameras, but in the end, nobody's been prosecuted and nobody is likely to be.
I suggest that we ALL remember that when election time rolls around.
Old March 12, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2830
alan

Issa might be something of an attention seeker, if you will, a ham actor, but he "seems" to have pursued the thing. At the risk of doing some members of congress an injustice, how much, or exactly what have the rest of them done.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2831
KyJim

+1. Not sure why someone trying to do something incurs our wrath even if not handled in the best possible way.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:37 AM   #2832
Micahweeks

Quote:
I expect a degree of disingenuous behavior from any politician, Issa included. Any job that essentially requires you to be "what the people want" to be successful basically requires you to be something other than true to yourself. I don't really flinch at the grandstanding anymore. I just expect it.
Old March 13, 2014, 10:46 PM   #2833
alan

As has been suggested, Congressman Issa might well be a self-serving "politician" in the very worst sense of the term.

That being said, and at the risk of repeating myself, perhaps looking dumb too, he at least has tried or seems to have tried, to do something, no matter how poorly he might have done it, even if self-aggrandizement played a role.

With this in mind, what have all those other members of congress, House and Senate done, what are they doing now?
Old March 14, 2014, 08:35 AM   #2834
thallub

Quote:
With this in mind, what have all those other members of congress, House and Senate done, what are they doing now?
The correct answer is nothing.

The US congress is composed of anti-gunners and those who talk of "supporting our Second Amendment rights" at re-election time, get re-elected and forget their promises.

IMO: Issa tried to make a difference in the 2012 elections by attacking the US attorney general; he failed.
Old March 14, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2835
alan

thallub wrote, quoting something I wrote, thanks,
Quote:

The correct answer is nothing.

The US congress is composed of anti-gunners and those who talk of "supporting our Second Amendment rights" at re-election time, get re-elected and forget their promises.

IMO: Issa tried to make a difference in the 2012 elections by attacking the US attorney general; he failed.
Yesterday 11:46 PM

These "congress critters" also seem to have conveniently short memories. Look at how quickly they forget their oaths of office.
Old March 20, 2014, 08:42 AM   #2836
HiBC

Sharryl Attkisson website

Sheryl fought hard for the truth at F+F.(Benghazi,too)
She had enough integrity to resign from CBS.

She has a website here

http://sharylattkisson.com/fast-and-furious.html

Actually,that will take you to her F+F index at the website.

I think her soon to be released book will prove interesting.
Old March 22, 2014, 11:06 AM   #2837
natman

Attorney General Eric Holder on the $1.2 Billion fine imposed on Toyota for the unintended acceleration case:

Quote:
“Rather than promptly disclosing and correcting safety issues about which they were aware, Toyota made misleading public statements to consumers and gave inaccurate facts to members of Congress.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...#ixzz2whxhYFbe
Anyone else have their hypocrisy meter blow a fuse on that one?
Old March 22, 2014, 09:34 PM   #2838
gunloony

Quote:
In Holder's case I gave up on fuses long ago and just stuck a penny in the slot
Old March 23, 2014, 12:23 AM   #2839
alan

gunloony qwrote:
Quote:
In Holder's case I gave up on fuses long ago and just stuck a penny in the slot.

If I may, is a single penny sufficient? I would think not.
Old March 31, 2014, 12:21 PM   #2840
KyJim

As what can probably be called a footnote to this whole thing, former U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke has entered into an agreement with the Arizona Bar Association and accepted a reprimand from the state bar association for disclosing redacted versions of a couple of memos. Burke did so because thought the DOJ was making him the scapegoat. The agreement acknowledges that the OPR (Office of Professional Responsibility) had contacted the bar association and filed a copy of its report of its investigation into the matter. The OPR report itself is subject to a protective order. The agreement notes that Burke had already self-reported the matter to the bar association.

One might view the OPR's investigation and report to the bar association in a number of different ways. Perhaps it was sincerely seeking to uphold the ethical duty of confidentiality. Others might view it as an attempt to intimidate other employees with knowledge of matters making the Oval Office uncomfortable.
Old March 31, 2014, 09:49 PM   #2841
alan

Might one make so bold as to describe the Obama Administration as rotten to its' core?

This characterization applies to/includes, but is not limited to Operation Fast & Furious, the general subject of discussion here.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2842
Tom Servo
Staff

A year and a half ago, the website Judicial Watch made an FOIA request for all the documents the DOJ had withheld. Nothing came of it, so they filed a lawsuit in September of 2012.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates ruled that the DOJ must provide a Vaughn index of the relevant documents.

The Supreme Court established the concept of the Vaughn index in Vaughn v. Rosen. An agency that wishes to withhold information must provide a detailed index and description of the information withheld, state the statutory exemption claimed, and explain how disclosure would damage the interests protected by the claimed exemption.

Does this mean we'll get all the answers? No, but it will provide us with some of them.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2843
zxcvbob

You don't actually expect them to obey a court order, do you?

I do not see any deadlines given. DOJ can delay this forever *without* filing an appeal just by pretending it takes a long time to compile the data.

Very Worcester v. Georgia
Old July 31, 2014, 10:34 PM   #2844
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Does this mean we'll get all the answers? No, but it will provide us with some of them.
More likely we'll get more lies, delays, and obfuscation.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2845
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You don't actually expect them to obey a court order, do you?
Of course I do. They're the Department of Justice, right?

OK, OK...I'll stop.

They may hedge, at which point it can be sent further up the chain.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2846
alan

Re this court order mentioned somewhere in this discussion, or in a lead in, the following comes to mind.

John Q. and or Jane F. citizen fails to obey one of these court orders, there is one such involved, no? Off to jail with them, correct or at least a possibility.

So what happens when people in government, otherwise "the people's employees", at the risk of sounding really dumb fail to follow through on a court order, was there such a thing here? The miscreant, to stay within the bounds of polite conversation, carries on undaunted.

I may be dumb as blazes, naive too but it strikes me that there is one hell of a problem here.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:35 PM   #2847
barnbwt

It's just the system of checks and balances being corroded. It was understood at the beginning that they would degrade unless actively serviced by a freedom loving electorate. Rather than refinish these rusted pillars, we've been demanding pols attack them with axes for a good while, now, so that the machinery above could 'move faster' (downward )

TCB
Old August 1, 2014, 10:10 PM   #2848
alan

It's pretty clear to me he's (Issa) used F&F as a means to promote his own career. I really don't think he's all that interested in the truth. He'll settle for something far less if he can advance his own ends.

So noted one poster. Maybe so, but does that excuse others in The Congress (House and Senate) who stand about, mute is seems,not the remotest sign of concern let alone of outrage over the ongoing antics/abuses of the BATFE.

Mr. Issa is likely something less than clean of motive, granted. Seems to me that the following question remains, that being said. What gives with the rest of The Congress, those who carry water for that rampant bureaucracy, the BATFE.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:14 AM   #2849
thallub

Quote:
It's pretty clear to me he's (Issa) used F&F as a means to promote his own career. I really don't think he's all that interested in the truth. He'll settle for something far less if he can advance his own ends.
F&F was an election year extravaganza, nothing more. After the 2012 election F&F was allowed to die on the vine.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:52 AM   #2850
patriotic

Quote:
Whatever his motives may have been it needed to be done and I cannot fault him for that.

Tags
atf , fast and furious