The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2008, 04:55 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Or stay real simple and sling the fosters thru a smooth barrel. I will not likely buy a rifled barrel as I found I am just fine out to 60 yards for deer. I would extend that to 80 but my home range was 60...
Brent
Old December 18, 2008, 10:47 PM   #27
bottom rung

I have never gone deer hunting yet. I went moose hunting once. I have "hunted" or much rather shot quite a few pests around the home. I have spoken with quite a few friends and acquaintances and it seems that the majority are taking deer at less than 100 yards, so I think a smooth bore will do fine. I was planning on trying out the Federal Tru-Ball load. I also mess around once in a while at the range, so a few rounds of buckshot will find their way down the barrel heading for some poor unsuspecting appliance. If I am really dissatisfied with the performance of the smooth bore, I will just pay the price and get a rifled barrel. Who knows though, in our insane world rifled barrels might be presumed dangerous to society and outlawed. I am going to be keeping my range fairly close because I plan on using the shotgun for hunting on state land. On this type of property, more so than private property, there is a chance of a poorly placed round hitting another hunter, or some other person in the woods. Do I think it is going to happen? No, not really, but I am going to do everything I can to limit the possibility. As for recoil while hunting, I know it is not an issue at all. When I got my moose, I never felt the recoil, I heard the gun, but my ears didn't even ring. Adrenaline does some funny stuff.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:53 AM   #28
onthejon55

I put a simple slip on Limbsaver recoil pad on my slug gun and it made ALL the difference in the world!

Nd get a rifled barrel for Gods sakes! They are by FAR superior to a smooth barrel for the same price so instead of getting a gun that may or may not be good enough you should definitely go with the rifled barrel thats going to allow you to reach out and kill anything you see
Old December 19, 2008, 11:01 AM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some rifled barrels clean up easily after rifled slug use. A TC comes to mind.

Some others will make a preacher cuss. A H&R slug hunter I know is that way.

IMO, using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel is too much of a pain in the whatever to mess with. Of course, feel free to disagree.