The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1
IHMSA Shooter

Single Six Problems

I have an Old Model Ruger Single Six.

I have been told by someone more knowledgeable than myself that it has had the transfer bar saftey retrofit done. (Gun was bought used.)

I am having 2 issues with it.

A) The base pin works its way out. Whether I am working the action (not dry fireing) while it is unloaded or firing the gun the base pin has a tendency to work it's way out and bind up the action.

B) Provided I can keep the base pin in. The gun does not have reliable ignition. I shot an IHMSA small bore match with it for fun. Of the 40 rounds fired during the match I would say only 10-15 fired on the first hammer fall. This was with the 22LR cylinder. Ruled out ammo as the same lot fired without a hitch in a Contender.

I am thinking I am going to have to send it in to Ruger. Any ideas on what the problems may be?
Old July 30, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Ruger

Sir;
That old of a gun - I'd have Ruger do whatever it needed - probably won't charge you.
Harry B.
Old July 30, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Call Ruger....

If they say send it, sollow the instructions.

The base pin working out means that the base pin latch is not doing its job. This could be because the spring has given it up, or it could just be clogged with crud from years of use. Carefully unscrew it (don't lose the spring) and see. It may just need cleaning.

As to the failure to fire, check the cylinder to make sure it is clean (no crud where the rims seat) and to see if it is burred or eroded where it supports the case rim underneath the firing pin strike. Either crud or damage can cushion the firing pin strike, resulting in misfires.

Ensure the firing pin is moving freely in the frame, and that the hammer and transfer bar actually move the pin. To do this easily, remove the cylinder and dry fire the gun, holding the trigger back after the hammer falls. As long as you hold the trigger all the way back, the transfer bar will stay up, and you can see if the firing pin is protruding through the frame. Check the firing pin tip for damage as well.

A previous owner may have replaced or clipped coils from the mainspring as well.

If everything looks ok, (or even if it doesn't) call Ruger, describe the trouble, and see what they want you to do.
Old August 1, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
IHMSA Shooter

44 AMP,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those things out before calling Ruger.