The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 6, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Pahoo

M/L Rifle Identification

Ran into an M/L Rifle that I need help identifying. It's a .50 Cal Hawken replica with a maple stock, 30" octagon barrel, Looks like a slow twist. Half stock with a white metal cap and all trimmed out in brass and double set trigger. The only barrel making I could read for the short time I had, was "Hastings". The fellow said he bought it out of the used rack, at Cabelas, years ago and there was one other like it. Interesting looking piece and bore was in fair shape. Do any of you front loaders know anything about this one? Interested in buying it from him and like to know price. Again, your input would be appreciated. Be safe !!!
Old January 6, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Hawg

Hastings is a custom barrel maker. Could be a kit gun/home built or one that had a barrel replaced. Should be a good shooter.
Old January 6, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Pahoo

I thank you; Hawg
Old January 6, 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't suppose you have a pic? You can usually tell a TC, CVA, or Investarms by the trigger guard. Also CVA uses a drum breech and the others use a patent breech which by itself doesn't mean anything. Course none of those use a pewter nose cap either. Does it have a single wedge or two?
Old January 6, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Pahoo

No I don't but do know that it is not a T.C., Traditions, Pedersoli, CVA or interarms. Barrel looked like it was browned or plumbed. Just not your run of the mill and very well made. Be safe.