The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
b00

223 AR loading prob

Hello
I have loaded thousands of 223s for my AR on my faithful rockchucker. Never ever had a jam or a problem. I recently switched to a hornady locknload press. Upon loading some ammo with the die set that I always use (rcbs 223), some rounds would not chamber all the way and would get stuck. I tried a different die (forester size die) and had the same problem. The problem seems more prevalent with some brass than others. It is a genuine pain in the but because it stops up the rifle good. If I put the die back in the rockchucker and size the brass it works fine. The die on both presses hit the shell plate well. I have measured the shell plate on the hornady and it is .126, rockchucker .125. This does not seem like enough to cause this problem? Any suggestions? Would a small base die fix the problem.
Old June 5, 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
rgitzlaff

Can you try switching shellholders? .001 might make a difference, though it doesn't sound likely. How many times has the brass been reloaded? It might be work hardened from being sized too many times, in which case it'll tend to spring back more instead of size properly. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, all a press does is move the case up and down with a lot of force. Putting the same die on two different presses should yeild identical results if using the same shellholder. If your shellholders are not interchangeable, you could trying sanding off a couple thousandths from the one that is causing you trouble. Just my .02
Old June 5, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3
mc223

Is there some deflection of the shellplate when the die touches?

Last edited by mc223; June 6, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old June 6, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
ear-ingun

I have had a similar problem. Solution was to carefully mill off about 0.002 from the shell holder (making the presumtion that this is not the progressive LNL). Then readjusting the die to size the case a little further down.

Since the holder is so hard a steel, you will need emmery cloth on a belt type sander such as knife makers use.
Old June 6, 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
b00

It is the lock N load that is the problem, which would make it more dificult to reduce the shell plate.
Old June 6, 2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Slamfire

What you do not know is whether your sized cases are too long, too short, or too fat.

Go buy a Wilson type cartridge headspace gage and set up your dies based on the sized case measurements.

This web site has good pictures and instructions on these type of gages.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar46.htm

Advice on grinding shell holders, etc, are a hit and miss proposition. You must have gages to measure what you are doing. The instructions you receive with sizing dies, on how to set them up, are useless.

Too fat a case, which I don't think you have, requires a cut chamber. The Wilson gage does not measure anything but length. I have paid Compass Lake about $40.00 to cut a barrel stub with their reamer. And cut the stub to headspace minimum. This cut chamber will tell me if my cases are too long or too fat.
Old June 7, 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Clark

The die is adjusted to bump the shell holder even when there is a case being sized?

If the die were adjusted when the forces were low, the press has compliance, and then the work of sizing a die is introduced, the brass may not get full length sized.
Old June 7, 2007, 10:34 AM   #8
swmike

+1 on the Wilson Gauge. I had the same issue and invested in the gauge. I found that I was over-crimping some rounds and it was bulging the shoulder area.

I now check every finished round with a Wilson Cartridge Case Gauge. It is also good for checking sized brass for length. Those cases that need trimming are easy to spot.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old June 7, 2007, 02:15 PM   #9
b00

No the die is contacting the shell holder well even with the case in it. The only conclusion that I have been able to come up with from answers on here and from rcbs is that .002 is enough to prevent the round from chambering. I also beleive that as someone else mentioned that the work hardening of the brass is exagerating the problem because it does seem more prevalent on brass that has been fired more.

I figure I have 2 options - machine .002 off of the bottom of the die or buy small base dies which rcbs claims are .001 -.002 smaller.
Old June 7, 2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Slamfire

BOO: You are in denial. Without tools to measure what is going on, you will only try wild eyed idea after wild eyed idea, and eventually something will work.

Go get the cartridge headspace gages. And while you are doing that, purchase a set of small base dies, and set up the dies with the gages. That way you are controlling the length with the gages, and controlling the "fatness" with the small base dies.
Old June 8, 2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Clark

You can slip a .003" thick piece of paper under the case inside the shell holder and see if that fixes it.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:10 PM   #12
amamnn

Chances are, you have not adjusted the dies in the new press to bump the shoulder back enough--and as noted above-- without the proper tools you are going to have problems dialing in case sizing exactly. If you are loading for a very tight match grade chamber, in a custom rifle, by all means get some small base dies, otherwise, don't waste your money.
Old June 11, 2007, 11:26 AM   #13
Walkalong

You mentioned work hardening of the brass. This can be a factor. The older, work hardened brass will spring back after sizing vs softer, newer brass which will spring back very little. This can be enough to cause problems, but you say it works fine if sized on the Rock Chucker. If the die hits both the shell holder and the shell plate it should work. Are you sure its down tight against the shell plate?

You could grind down your die bottom a couple of thousandths, re-chamfer if necessary, and repolish.
Old June 13, 2007, 12:44 AM   #14
b00

I just purchased the rcbs case mic and measured the casing to try to solve this problem. When the cases are sized on my rockchucker with regular dies they come out .002-.003 below min head space for once fired brass and .001-.002 for many fired brass. With small base dies they come out at .003-.004 below min head space for once fired and .002-.004 for many fired.

Now when I put the same dies in the hornady LNL the cases measure:
regular die
.001 to .003 above min head space once fired brass
.005 to .006 above min head space many fired brass

small base die
.001 to .000 below min head space once fired
.003 tp .005 above min head space many fired

Something is obviously wrong with my LNL.
Old June 13, 2007, 05:28 PM   #15
kingudaroad

Have you tried screwing in the die 1/4 to 1/2 turn more after the die is touching the shellholder on the upstroke. That may bump the shoulder back some.
Old June 13, 2007, 10:55 PM   #16
b00

I have tried screwing the die down more and more. If I go any more the press willnot cam over or I will break the pins in the press.
Old June 14, 2007, 11:20 AM   #17
MrGee

sounds like the brass has been over worked .. to many FL sizings an needs to be annealed.. had the same problem with .308 case from a m1A, could get them in my bolt action, figured the bigger chamber stretched the case .. i even went out an bought new rcbs dies, was using lymans .. didn't work any better, just happened to read a few artical an decided to try annealing before i dumped the cases .. that worked, the answer at least in my case was
annealing, now i do it to some of my older .223 cases . helps with neck tension as well an stops spliting at the neck.. what i found was the brass gets so hard it just springs back.......