The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 29, 2002, 10:37 PM   #1
Sisco

Mauser ID

Picked up a sporterized Mauser re-barreled to .270.
I stripped it down tonight and after removing the scope mounts I was able to read the markings on the ring. Just curious as to what I've got here:

Side rail is marked Gew 98
Top of ring is marked
Simson & Co.
S?HL (scope mount hole between the S & the H)

Thanks in advance for any info you've got!
Old April 29, 2002, 11:38 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You've got a World War 1 Mauser 98 military actioned rifle.
It was made in 1917 by Simpson & Sons in Suhl, Germany.
Old April 30, 2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Sisco

Well, that's pretty straightforward.
Guess the "Simson" threw me, doesn't sound as German as "Schultz".
Thanks!
Old May 1, 2002, 05:10 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

SK:
Although the Receiver is marked GWR (Rifle) 98, and the action then is the WWI Mauser 98. Based upon the caliber, .270, would indicate to me that the rifle is a custom built sporting rifle using the 98 Action.

I have been led to believe that some 98's of the period were designed as Sniper Rifles and may have had the dble set triggers.

MAUSER

Model: 98
Designer: Peter & Paul Mauser
Year of Mfg: 1889-1925
Caliber: 7.92mm (8mm) rimmed
Action: Turnbolt
Length:
Barrel Length: 30.67" rifle
21.65" Carbine
15.75" Short Carbine
The M98 was the first highly successful Mauser action designed for a powerful smokeless powder, rimless military cartridge. It was also the first Mauser action designed to load the magazine with a charger, stripper clip,. This action set the general pattern for other Mauser turnbolt rifle actions which followed, with changes and improvements that made Mauser actions a
standard throughout the world.

A great many of these rifles were made in the Belgian government arsenal in Liege. Many were also made in Birmingham, England, at a plant set up and operated by Belgian refugees. An American firm, Hopkins & Allen, obtained a contract and made many of these rifles for Belgium prior to WWI.

Mauser action is the basis of design for most every turnbolt rifle in the world today. This includes the military and the civilian model rifles of todays manufacture. During the era most all countries used the Mauser design, to include the United States, who bought patent rights to design the M1903 Springfield.

These actions (M1898) are still being manufactured today and there are still some of the old original actions being sold on the civilian market. Many gunsmiths prefer this action, new or
old, to build custom rifles in varing calibers to include shotguns.

After WWII restrictions placed on the Germans to, manufacture military rifles. However, they could manufacture sporting rifles and shotguns. This prompted Germany to rebarrel and convert the M1898 Mauser rifle to a two shot shotgun. This shotgun was produced in, 12, 16, and 20 gauge. These shotguns were eventually imported into the US and sold on the open market.

HJN