The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1
vito

Gun and ammo panic worse than ever

I have seen several periods in my life where the public became concerned about being the victims of crime or race riots, or where there was fear that the government would limit or stop our ability to buy certain guns and ammo. At those time the sale of guns would rise, as would the sale of ammunition and related items. But the current situation seems worse than any I have ever been through, including the period in late 2008 after the election of Obama the first time. Local stores here in this part of Illinois that sell firearms that normally have one or no customers at the gun counter, now have crowds of people waiting for a salesman. Ammunition that I have rarely had trouble finding, like bricks of 22lr, now are rare as hen's teeth. And of course, try to find small pistol primers for reloading, ANYWHERE in the country (I guess there may be some stores that had huge stocks of primers, but even the national distributors that I have looked at are out of stock totally). Whether or not we have new gun control laws passed into law after the Biden Commission makes its recommendations this or next month it certainly has influenced a lot of folks to get a gun, or an additional gun or guns and stock up on ammo and supplies. I hope it means that hunters and others who really ignored the threats to the 2nd Amendment because they didn't believe it would affect them personally are now concerned about what the law might do. This might give us an even larger base of people to then resist attacks on our 2nd Amendment rights. For now, I just hope I can soon find the ammo and primers that I can't seem to get locally or on line.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
DaleA

Quote:
I hope it means that hunters and others who really ignored the threats to the 2nd Amendment because they didn't believe it would affect them personally are now concerned about what the law might do. This might give us an even larger base of people to then resist attacks on our 2nd Amendment rights.
I'm looking at it that way.

Because of many factors* I think there are more gun owners and shooters than before and I too hope it means more people will 'just say no' to the anti-gun hysteria that is going on.

*Some factors:
More people buying handguns for personal defense.
More concealed carry permit holders because of changes to the laws.
More people shooting the guns they bought and finding out that shooting can be a fun activity.
More people with friends and neighbors with guns that would take them shooting.
The 'support our troops' effort I think puts guns and the folk that use them in a better light.
---Some things that might hurt our side.
I think (but I don't know) that the number of hunters is actually down.
I think (but again I don't know) that the number of military veterans in the population is down too.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:28 PM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

I think the panic is over for now because there is nothing left to buy.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Industry issues, sales....

I posted a response to another topic about the same thing.
Gun owners & forum members need to realize the shooting sports industry is not customer service based or able to meet the high demands. Laws, regulations & SOPs dictate how guns are made, transported and/or sold. It's not like toasters, TVs, clothes, or cell phones.
Add to it that the gun shops & FFL holders are making huge profits. Joey, the gun shop sales clerk is not going to give 2 %#+*s if you know a lot about guns or if you don't buy a $500.00 9mm for $800.00. Some other paying customer will!
The industry has record sales & won't meet the demands for a long, long time.
I'd stock up on carry rounds, magazines, etc now while you still can.

Clyde
Old January 5, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
spanishjames

Unfortunately, the more gun owners and shooters that politicians are aware of, the more they'll begin to see them as easy targets for new taxes and fees.

Quote:
Mrs. Politician says:

If every gun owner pays a "Gun Safety and Child Protection Fee", we'd be much safer, and make progress towards a more gentle society.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Colorado308shooter

I'm so happy I have enough components on hand to load my .223, .308, 40 S&W and 9mm, for several years of shooting.

I've got at least two years worth of components for all my calibers, before I even start to run low.

This gun panic has not affect me at all......prior planning!
Old January 5, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
breakingcontact

the 7 P's!

Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance

But...in defense of those who weren't prepared before the prices went nuts...

If you dont have the cash, aren't willing to go into debt, just got into guns like in the past month and/or just plain didn't see this all coming, I don't advice spending big $ now.

Get some 357 revolvers and/or lever guns.
22LR/22Mag pistols and rifles
Basic shotgun
Bolt action centerfire

Don't get caught up in the buying frenzy.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
C Philip

Quote:
Things are definitely slowing down. Most online dealers I check for ammo and magazines aren't even taking back orders anymore. Some local stores are restocking ammo and it's actually staying on the shelf for more than a day, but the price is also way higher than normal.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
breakingcontact

If supplies have dried up...prices on the secondary market should go up
Old January 5, 2013, 07:09 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

BC's post, plans.....

I agree with BC. There are other weapons or sources you could use now.
A .45LC or .44spl DA only wheel gun can protect you just like a 9x19mm or .40S&W.
As for rifles or shotguns, a pump or lever action could work.
I saw a left-hand Ruger bolt action GSR 7.62mm(308) rifle that is a decent deal.

These tough times will pass but I wouldn't pass up any good deals either.

Clyde
Old January 5, 2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
If any thing, that is going to increase the panic.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
lordhedgwich

No offense to anyone but all these ppl panicking are fools...
Old January 5, 2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Wrothgar

I've found common military/LE calibers (9mm, 40S&W, .223, 5.56, .308/7.62NATO) are almost impossible to find. HOWEVER, .45 and .30-06 are everywhere, at least around here. I've got a .45 M&P and have been buying ammo for that here and there, and I'm looking very seriously at a .30-06 bolt action just cause I can't find any .308 ammo anywhere.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Technoviking

Looks like the OP lives in Illinois. There are some extremely "special" anti-gun zealots in the Land of Lincoln proposing some Nazi-like confiscation measures. That could be more of a contributing factor to the perceived hysteria than anything being considered at the Federal level.
"If we wish to encourage a society where citizens come to the aid of neighbors in distress, we must not strip them of the actual power to do something about crime." ~ Murray Rothbard, For a New Liberty
Old January 5, 2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Wrothgar

Well, the Rep that wrote the mag limit bill is from about 30 min south of me...
Old January 5, 2013, 09:49 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
While that'll slow things down a bit, the panic is far from over.

Retailers will start getting new product over the next couple of weeks. Then a new bill will get announced, and there will be another panic, and another shortage.

After that? Income tax checks start coming in, and folks have free cash. At that point, they might be accustomed to higher prices, so they go on a buying spree. Yet another shortage.

I predict a long and trying year, both for retailers and the buying public.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17
WildmanWilson

I agree that we are causing most of this by jumping the gun. We are driving prices up as well. Just stay calm and buy what you need and there will be enough ammo and guns for everyone and at a lower price.

The last panic we had I knew of Wal Mart workers that were buying the ammo before it was put on the shelf and reselling at a big mark up. We are being played for suckers by many out there. JUST CALM DOWN !!!
Old January 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #18
spanishjames

Quote:
Just stay calm and buy what you need and there will be enough ammo and guns for everyone and at a lower price.
The problem is, one can never have enough ammo.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Ole man 52

Bass pro shop

I went to Bass Pro Shop today. I saw a man come in and buy a whole crate of 22lr. There was none left in the store. I asked the man behind the counter why wasn't there a limit on these considering there was several people in there for this same round. He said, the company has no policy to prevent this. The man buying said he was going to resale them. I just shook my head and walked out. I guess all is fair in love,war and the persute of ammo.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:57 PM   #20
HK_Flo

Silly me, I was about to buy a .22 pistol to save some money on range trips.

Now it seems you can't even get .22, and what little is available is expensive match ammo!
Old January 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Fargazer

I've been making a point of looking at what ammo is available; some calibers I've noticed are:
  • 30-06
  • 300 Win Mag
  • 7mm-08 Remington
I'm sure there are others, but those stuck out at me as having a wider variety of choice than most. Normally I stick to military types for availability of ammo - looks like I need to expand the herd a bit to include a few more rifles.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Dr Big Bird PhD

Seen some really cheap 7.62x54r too. Not that I can even think about using that though.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 7, 2013, 07:10 PM   #23
breakingcontact

Academy Sports is now rationing ammo. Limits on 22LR 9mm and 223.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 7, 2013, 08:25 PM   #24
Chettt

The gun situation is worse than 2008 but ammo other than .22 an .223 is much more available than four years ago. Back then the only thing in the department store ammo area was .22 ratshot and .25acp. and it was that bare for months. Today there are some sold out calibers but all the hunting calibers and many pistol rounds are still for sale here in Michigan.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:37 PM   #25
Joe_Pike

I was in one of the LGS today and one of the guys there told me that that they sold a Stag Arms AR15 last week for $885 (owner refuses to raise prices). The guy that bought it turned it for $2,700. Crazy.