The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2009, 09:49 PM   #26
kozak6

Training? Training for what, exactly?

At any rate, you should also look into airsoft. If you can pick up the airsoft version of your carry gun, it might aid familiarity with your real pistol.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:35 PM   #27
Creature

Quote:
Training? Training for what, exactly?
Security forces training at Blackwater in Moyok, NC. We were using Beretta, Sig and M4 conversions to fire simunition.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:27 PM   #28
oldkim

what kind of training?

Paintball does have it training purposes, especially if you have the gear already. But what type of training? Tactically it's good for groups but for individual training you are better off with airsoft.

Simunitions are great but costly and hard to get unless you go at it like a business/training center.

Airsoft allows you to use almost exact replicas of your sidearm or long gun. So you can virtually get almost any gun (pistol and rifle and even shotguns) that have the same weight and action as your "real" firearm. You can even do magazine exchanges.

Tactically for individual training this is the way to go. Yes, it's not cheap either if you go the high end stuff but you can also go very slow and start off pretty cheap ($20) for the springloaded airsoft.

For accuracy you are looking at 100 ft or so for high end rifles and 20-30 feet for pistols. Yes, they can shoot longer but then you get into more influences of the environment (wind) and of course how good the mechanism is that you bought.

Airsoft is catching on but nothing like other parts of the world - well, some of those countries you can even own a "real" gun but boy they make them look and feel so real.

Check out an airsoft store near you and see if they can help you locate a few places to go try it out and shoot.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old May 13, 2009, 11:31 PM   #29
raftman

Sad thing is, there are communities in which even airsoft is banned.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:41 PM   #30
Brian10

I think paintball is very good for basic techniques, such as the use of cover, firing lanes and angles, shooting while running, etc. These should not be overlooked at all because there is a world of difference between an experienced player and a newbie in terms of those items I listed.

You would think a lot of it is common sense, but apparently its not. If you're playing paintball and you got hit Center of Mass while stationary, you probably weren't making proper use of cover. You'd be surprised how many people get hit COM.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:58 PM   #31
cracked91

Ya I started with airsoft, but IMO it does not have nearly the training value that paintball does. Not saying anything bad about it, but subconsiously you know if you run 25 yards your out of range, it does not hurt that bad, its not too loud, The mask over your face in paintball limits your perception the way adrenaline does, unless you are using fairly expensive guns there are no rapid followup shots. The bonuses of airsoft though are that it does give you a more realistic bullet count, and the guns feel alot more like real guns. I just don't feel like it gives you the combat mentality paintball does.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:17 PM   #32
Slopemeno

If some of you guys are on the fence, check out "stock-class" play. The guns are limited to 20 rounds on the gun, and one 12-gram C02 cartridge. The feed is also horizontal to the barrel so you have to "rock and cock" like you did back in the Nelspot 007 era.

The downside is the cost-per-shot goes up, but the endless overshooting that you see in speedball goes away.

And let's face it, if you're a total acessory-junkie like most of us ARE, you'll have a blast with it.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:29 PM   #33
THEZACHARIAS

Stock-class guns make the mommys and daddys on the sidelines feel better about letting little jimmy play alongside the big boys too. One shot to the grill hurts less than 2 dozen to the chest.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:58 PM   #34
Steviewonder1

Paintball for Training

Yes, been there and done it. Started at the local ranges near Atlanta and made my way down to a serious War Games Meet at Camp Blanding in Florida. This is a M.O.U.N.T. Camp at the National Guard facility SW of Jacksonville. A simulated town with 25 buildings, tunnels, 4 story City Headquarters, bridges, streets, school and adjacent woods. Put 125 Team members on two sides of the battle, 125 in town and the other 125 outside and take the town. All the way down to Radio Communications, 5-10 man SWAT teams and it is as real as you can get without real bullets. You can learn lots about cover, shooting on the move, Reloading, and Team Play. The first time I went to Blanding I had a low end gun, the next year I went back and had a Full Auto Shocker Gun. Yes full auto was authorized. At night the game was 20 hostages in the School House and get them out. The other folks did not make it in 60 minutes, my team did it in 20 minutes. We had night vision and almost anything you could name. Fun game to play at any level.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:05 PM   #35
B. Lahey

Quote:
I think paintball is very good for basic techniques, such as the use of cover
Seems to me that it teaches the opposite of good use of cover.

Paintball teaches you that you are safe behind plywood, shrubbery, and huge balloons.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:38 AM   #36
cracked91

I kinda figure though. . . if I ever get into a gunfight in an outdoor situation will probably be like my first game of paintball. Scared out of my mind (I was 9, those things hurt) adrenaline pumping, and deciding just to keep my butt down and try to stay hidden and avoid the shooting, while keeping a watch around me to make sure noone noticed me that I did not. In paintball there really was no running, but unless I was defending myself or my family I would be gettin on my way as quickly and quielty as possible.