The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2001, 03:41 PM   #1
BUTCH48

Hi, last week I bought a brand new SP101 .357 snubby. Took it to the range and fired about 50 rounds 125 .357 speer ammo. I quickly (very quickly) noticed how sharp the edges were surrounding the trigger guard. Any tips on how to break these edges.

Thanks
Old April 10, 2001, 09:22 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Butch, the best way would be on a polishing wheel but a fine file and sandpaper will work just as well. Use the file to break the edges then polish with increasing grits of paper until you get the finish you want. George
Old April 10, 2001, 11:38 AM   #3
Redlg155

I would suggest a polishing wheel and a lot of extra time to take it slow.

I would take note that if you do this, future resale value will be affected, because you modified the weapon.

Another consideration is to send it off to have some custom work on it. C&S has a page that has some sample prices and work they do on Ruger revolvers.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/custom.htm

If you get it done by C&S, or any other reputable company and they put their mark on your weapon showing they did custom work, the value of your pistol may increase somewhat.

Good Shooting
REd
Old April 15, 2001, 06:18 AM   #4
Master Blaster

Slowly and gently break the sharp edge by holding some 320 grit sandpaper at a .45degree angle to the edge. go easy and the sharp edge will disappear. If you do it right it wont be noticeable, you only need to remove a small amount of metal. Finish with 600 grit sandpaper. I have done this to my sp101. the front edge of the cylinder was very sharp on mine and it would have torn my holster. Clean the gun well when you are done.
Old April 15, 2001, 09:59 AM   #5
BUTCH48

Thanks for the help. Edges are gone after sanding and a lot of polishing.