The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1
RedBowTies88

Old Lead Shot, Worth Anything?

So I've come into some old canvas bags of shot. I was going to just sell them to be used as shot but I've come to find that people are selling these old canvas sacks for a few bucks as antiques... I can't find any prices on old bags that are actually still full of lead.

So here's some pics and you guys can let me know what you think. If it's worthless as far as collectiability whats it worth as shot?

Thanks,
Beech

P.S., Here's a sample on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-canvas...-/220699192152
Old December 5, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
rtpzwms

Wow there is a sucker born every minute! 12 bucks for a not so old shot bag. I paid 17 bucks for the lead and got the bag for free!
Old December 5, 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
oregunner

I bought some old bags of West Coast shot, loaded the shot in hulls and saved the bags. The shot had been stored in a dry area, so it hadn't oxidized. I would cut open a bag and see if the shot is still in good shape. If so, I would use the shot and save or sell the old bags, but don't expect to get rich. I don't think there is any more value to keeping them full. Although if you see a full one go for a million dollars on Antiques Roadshow, don't hold me to that. Mark
Old December 5, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
RedBowTies88

well I have no experiance with shot besides shooting it lol. I don't reload currently and even when i begin i doubt i'll load shot this small if i load shotgun hulls at all.

so forget about the cool bags, the shot is probably oxadized judging by the conditon of the bags...they've been sitting outside in a garage for many years.

think $20-25 a bag sounds reasonable?

most of what i've seen online new is in the $40 range
Old December 5, 2011, 11:28 PM   #5
orionengnr

The price of lead has gone up a bit...I was looking at a 20 or 25 lb bag recently and IIRC it was in the $30 range.

Depending on the condition of the shot itself, I think you could get $20 per, if you can find someone local. Shipping will put a big dent in your profit.

Craigslist or any local forums for handloading or shotgunning?
Post a 3x5 card at your local range?
Old December 5, 2011, 11:33 PM   #6
RedBowTies88

I already have someone local interested but i wanted to check for the heck of it to see if they were actually worth anything besides just for loading. I was randomly looking for prices on new shot when i found the bags on ebay. I didn't even know they stopped using canvas or that the company wasn't around anymore.

would oxidized shot render it un-usable or just less desireable?
Old December 6, 2011, 12:05 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Number 7 shot is hard to come by these days.
It might be worth a premium to somebody who knows about it and wants to accurately reproduce the old "pigeon load" of 3 1/4 D.E + 1 1/4 oz of #7.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

What others said, the shot is usable, I wish I had found those.
The bags are handy but, IMHO, not of much $ value.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:00 AM   #9
RedBowTies88

Ok, So everything i've seen online shows the 25lbs of lead shot is going for $40+ a bag. Does that sound about right for a brand new bag to you reloaders? Thats all i've seen online but i've never looked in local stores

Sorry for repeating the same question I just wish i knew more about values.

I'm thinking $20 for just the shot or $25 for the shot in the bags. ( i could use the bags to hold bullets among other random things...plus they're kinda neat.)

Does that sound unreasonable?
Old December 6, 2011, 10:11 AM   #10
oregunner

I would buy it for that, if I was local. Mark
Old December 6, 2011, 11:44 AM   #11
oneounceload

Current lead prices has new shot running 40-50 per 25# bag - you might want to rethink your pricing
Old December 6, 2011, 12:06 PM   #12
RedBowTies88

Well I don't want to be greedy, I got them for free so if I get $25 a bag and get to hold on to a couple of the sacks I'll be estatic. And if I can help a fellow shooter out that's nice as well.

If the local gentlemen who was interested doesn't take them I'll pot them up here.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:46 PM   #13
BigJimP

The largest size shot you can use at most clay target ranges for Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays is # 7 1/2's (or the smaller yet - 8's, 8 1/2's or 9's ) ....so if its # 7's then it isn't very usable or valuable to a clay target shooter - reloader...

If its oxidized ....then its worth next to nothing...

Even if it were 7 1/2's ....most guys these days don't load many 7 1/2's except long distance Trap shooters ....most of us load 8's for a wide variety of clay targets uses ......but if its 7's most of us couldn't use it.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:05 PM   #14
RedBowTies88

Well worse case Scenario it's worth it's weight in scrap and I still have some neat-o bags to put stuff in.

I'm sure it will find some use though, even if it's to some friends for fishing sinkers.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #15
BigJimP

I'd be careful about storing "stuff" in bags that contained lead....these days the burlap bags we buy shot in all have plastic liners in them - that hold the shot ...and I don't recall if they did that 40 yrs ago / but I don't think so ...I think it was just loose in the bags...

# 7 shot ....if its in good shape ...may be something that a hunter will use once in a while...

a bag of shot ( 25 lbs ) if we make up 1 oz loads for our target shells ..only makes up 400 shells or 16 boxes ...which many of us shoot at least 8 boxes a week...( so a bag of shot only lasts us 2 weeks or so ...) .../ but if its not oxidized, it certainly has value ...to someone.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:24 PM   #16
zippy13

With today's lead prices, you might as well have a look in the bags before making any deals. If the stuff is lightly oxidized, you might considering tumbling it in some graphite and then re-bagging.

The way lead shot is sold may vary with your jurisdiction. I've not seen plastic within canvas, but my current cache of shot is old. Forty+ years ago, the best deal on shot in SoCal was in 50-pound lots. It came in two 25-pound plastic bags within an outer plastic bag. Back in the day, it was common to see shooters with custom shell pouches or vests made from old shot sacks.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:02 PM   #17
hornetguy

I don't reload for shotguns... don't shoot em enough to make it worthwhile, at this point, so I don't know if oxidized lead shot is "no good"..

BUT... I DO know that lead shot, especially "hard" shot is VERY useable for bullet casting, as it can easily be alloyed to make some pretty nice bullets. I imagine you could sell it pretty easily for 30-35 dollars a bag to a bullet caster, if he knows his stuff, and needs/wants it.

If I was just a little closer to you, I'd buy it all for 30 bucks a bag.... and then give you the bags back.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:06 PM   #18
publius

As Jim said, your real selling point is that it is #7 shot. Don't see it very often at all anymore.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:47 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Back in the day, it was common to see shooters with custom shell pouches or vests made from old shot sacks.
I have a tote bag made from West Coast shot bags, an older gent had a fitted vest made of them by his wife - I have about 50 canvas bags -none of which ever had a plastic bag inside

#7 MIGHT be legal, it would need to be measured - European 7 is our 7.5

It can always be sold to someone who casts their own bullets or makes their own sinkers
Old December 6, 2011, 08:54 PM   #20
zippy13

ATA rules allow nothing larger than #7-1/2 shot; but, as my friend, oneounce, noted: It's the actual size of the shot, not the label on the bag that matters.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:07 PM   #21
rtpzwms

I just checked the prices on line and 38.99 is easy to come up with so 2 bags will ship for 13 bucks that puts the price per bag a 38.99+6.50=45.49 to your door. Dang I paid 18 bucks per bag just a couple of years ago.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:13 PM   #22
michaelcj

I use the lead filled ones in my shop for dead blow surface [ie fretting guitars] The empty cloth bags I fill with clean sand, sew them up and use them at the shooting bench... yup I'm cheap.

MJ
Old December 6, 2011, 09:14 PM   #23
Jim Watson

Quote:
ATA rules allow nothing larger than #7-1/2 shot; but, as my friend, oneounce, noted: It's the actual size of the shot, not the label on the bag that matters.
There is a real reason for that. The safety space on a trap range is based on # 7 1/2 shot and smaller falling on range property. Anything larger will carry farther and annoy the neighbors. I still recall our club president sitting under a sheet of plywood just inside the range fence listening for the pitter patter of shot falling out of the sky on his shelter.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:54 PM   #24
langenc

Ill bet it is worth over $1 for scrap. Call the local scrap yard.