The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 6, 2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Picher

New Rem 700 CDL Stainless Fluted, 270 Win.

Just got this rifle in today. Came from Bud's Gun Shop, through my FFL guy. It's exactly what I was looking for in a stock...dark stain, plain sawn, with good figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2060034.JPG (77.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg P2060037.JPG (71.6 KB, 175 views)
Old February 6, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2
hooligan1

I like that one Picher thats nice.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3
joed

You got a nice one, and I really like the stock. You should be very happy with that rifle.
Old February 7, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Picher

I'm very happy with the rifle, especially lucky with the wood.

Now, I'll order a Timney for it.

Picher
Old February 7, 2015, 05:15 PM   #5
DaleA

Congratulations!!!

Remington and .270...two of my favorite rifle words.

Looking forward to a range report.

Seems like there are many folk finding stuff they've been looking for out there. This is good news. (A nice change from the gloom and doom unsatisfied shooters out there.)
Old February 7, 2015, 05:28 PM   #6
joed

Good move on the Timney. I've started replacing all my Remington triggers with Timneys, even the ones that have been reworked.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Picher

The original trigger in this rifle won't adjust to less than 4 lbs. and the pull is not consistent. The information that came with the rifle said it was set at 3 lbs. at the factory and it could be adjusted about a pound either way. Yeah, right.

Four pounds wouldn't be all that bad for a cold weather rifle, but I don't want it to be four, than 5, then 3.5, or whatever. Timney is the same ALL the time, and there's no screw sticking out of the trigger face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2060030.jpg (70.0 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Picher; February 7, 2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old February 10, 2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Picher

I pillar-bedded/free-floated the new 700 CDL Stainless Sunday-Monday. It came out very well and, after the scope arrives this week, am hoping to catch a break in the weather and the several feet of snow to be able to shoot it. (Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures of the work.)

The barrel had been pressing against the left side of the pressure pad, so when it free-floated, I only had to remove 1/16" from that side of the channel to equalize the gap.

The Timney will take at least two weeks to get here. Apparently, they're very busy. (I wonder why. LOL)
Old February 10, 2015, 10:08 AM   #9
AllenJ

Trigger pull consistency is the reason I replaced my sons XMark with a Timney.

What scope/mounts do you plan on putting on it?
Old February 10, 2015, 10:22 AM   #10
Picher

The new scope is a matte black, Leupold VX2, 3-9x, wide duplex. I like the greater width of the fine crosshairs that it offers.

I'm using my old standby, four-screw Weaver matte rings with weaver bases. The four screws prevent torque on the tube, common with two-screw rings. (The rings were back-ordered, so used a new pair of the two-screw, high rings that I had.) I bore-sighted the scope as close as I could, compared with my other .270, so I'll try to shoot it today and see how close it is on paper.

I thought of getting fancy mounts, but think a lot of them are bulkier and way more expensive. Why mess with success? I've used them on my rifles and customers' rifles, even on my benchrest scopes for over 55 years and they've never failed me. I can't say that about other systems that look like Weavers.

Other good news is that reloads fit both of my Rem .270s.

Last edited by Picher; February 12, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old February 14, 2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Picher

Finally shot the 700 CDL a few minutes ago, in light snow and variable wind, from my B&D Workmate in the bed of the pickup. Had to use an extra 1" bag under the rear bag and two gloves on top of that to bring the rifle to bear on the targets, first at 50 yards and the other at 100.

Used snowshoes to get to place the targets behind the house. There's about two feet of snow in the field.

The rest was less than ideal, but the rifle managed to shoot under an inch at 100 yards, using a light, 90 grain Sierra load worked up for my other rifle. It's hitting about an inch high at 100, but may be very close to zero at 200. Close enough for further ammo testing when weather improves.

At 50 yards, the first shot from the bore-sighting (based on my other 270's zero with other hunting loads) was only 2" from where the other rifle is shooting at that distance.
Old February 19, 2015, 06:25 PM   #12
Picher

Timney trigger arrived and installed this afternoon. It now has a "perfect" hunting 3 lb. pull. It would be nice to shoot the rifle at the range Sunday, but there's a Daytona Party to attend at noon. May have to wait several days for the weather to moderate...stay tuned.
Old February 20, 2015, 08:54 AM   #13
Picher

The Timney is installed and adjusted to what my trigger pull gauge says is 3 lbs., but it, like another one I have measured 1/4 lb heavier than what Timney said they were. Regardless, I like triggers that are set according to my scale, which I did to this one.

Unfortunately, the CDL Stainless probably won't get me many deer or other game. It's so pretty, I fear that I'll be staring at the rifle instead of looking for deer. It's a terrible situation!!!
Old February 21, 2015, 07:46 PM   #14
Colorado Redneck

First thing for a new rifle

Scratch the wood. That's just me--

Once I get that over with then I can use the heck out of a new gun.
Old February 21, 2015, 08:30 PM   #15
upstate81

Very nice set up sir. Im a 700 fan myself, you have good taste. I have to agree ^^^^^^^id hunt this rig as well.
Old February 22, 2015, 05:45 AM   #16
Picher

It will get 'honest' scratches during use. Today, she'll follow me to the range to do a few groups and confirm zero.

I need to sight-in a neighbor's new rifle also...a pink camo "Savage" in .223 Rem...her daughter's rifle. I hope nobody else is at the range. LOL

From the factory, the scope was off-kilter, so the dealer straightened it out, but torqued the rear screw so tightly that the power ring wouldn't turn. The plastic magazine "locks" into the plastic stock, and was hard to get it to snap in, but a few strokes with a file took care of it. It's got an accutrigger and pillars, but the bolt stop release is a plastic button ahead of the trigger guard. Both trigger and release must be pulled for it to work.

I ran a few patches and a bronze brush through the bore and it sounded/felt like the bore had very fine, milled rings the whole length. Anyone had that experience?

With my luck, the "girly" rifle will outshoot mine.
Old February 25, 2015, 06:56 PM   #17
Picher

Got to the range and found it had some walked-in paths to 100 yards, but hadn't been used since before the 8" snowfall the night before. I sank down a foot or so ever once in a while, as there's about 30" of snow on the range.

In my haste and extra rifle to bring, I forgot my good ammo, so had to shoot some old stuff that was set up for my other .270. Darn! I managed to sight it in and hit the 200 meter gong, after finding zero at 100 yds. I like the rifle more every time I shoot it!

Now I need to pop a few varmints, so it will know what it's lot in life has become. LOL

Just heard that Maine had the coldest and snowiest February ever. Boo! I haven't been down the woods road behind the house since late January. The powdery snow makes travel by snowshoes, X-country skis, and snowmobiles quite difficult.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:35 PM   #18
zach_

Very nice rifle. Hope your weather clears up and the snow melt isn't too dramatic. I have family up there in NH. They are about tired of winter.
Old February 26, 2015, 07:53 AM   #19
Picher

Thanks ZACH.

I'm worried that we may have one heck of a flood when all this snow melts in September! LOL

Meanwhile, the deer and other animals are having a very tough winter.
Old February 26, 2015, 09:30 AM   #20
AllenJ

Hopefully your weather improves soon so you can educate that rifle on it's job in life! It sounds like the rifle is going to be a good shooter, congrats.
Old February 27, 2015, 07:16 AM   #21
Picher

Thanks AllenJ.

Yean, the rifle keeps following me around the house, whining to go shooting.

We're due for some warmer temps in the next week, so I'll load up some batches of ammo with varied seating depth and maybe will find the sweet spot.

I really like 90 grain Sierras for range use and varmints out to about 200 yards. Velocity is only about 3,050 for the 48.0 grains of IMR 4895 and CCI standard primers. It's the lowest recommended load in the Lyman manual, one that I used for turkey/running deer shoots and it's quite accurate in my other rifle. The nicest thing is that, in that other 700, it shoots to the same POI as my hunting loads.
Old February 27, 2015, 07:47 AM   #22
stagpanther

What parts o Maine you at Picher? I live on Mt Desert; we keep getting pounded over and over by those coastal storms. I was hiking in the woods a couple days ago (actually within Acadia National Park and using frozen marshes/ponds as trails) and someone opened fire very nearby. I know they weren't target shooting nor is anything in season.
Old February 27, 2015, 05:45 PM   #23
Picher

Stagpanther: I'm in the Waterville/Augusta area, so it wasn't me who fired. LOL

Actually, there are lots of critters in season, rabbits, crows, red squirrels, porquepine, coyotes, beaver and maybe even bobcat (don't have my book in front of me). Of course, that doesn't mean that the shooter was legally hunting.
Old February 27, 2015, 07:29 PM   #24
JungleBoogey

Old Rem 700 270 Win

Inherited with my father's passing in 1995 Still shoots like a youngster...
Sorry I couldn't get the details a little larger, still learning this photo posting
Attached Images
File Type: gif RIFLE REMINGTON 700 (1).gif (91.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: gif RIFLE REMINGTON 700 (2).gif (96.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by JungleBoogey; February 27, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old February 27, 2015, 07:37 PM   #25
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther: I'm in the Waterville/Augusta area, so it wasn't me who fired. LOL

Actually, there are lots of critters in season, rabbits, crows, red squirrels, porquepine, coyotes, beaver and maybe even bobcat (don't have my book in front of me). Of course, that doesn't mean that the shooter was legally hunting.
Forgot about those--plus on the island they're a bit funny about hunting in general. I hunted down in your neck of the woods last fall a couple of times during the expanded archery season. I'll be back this fall.