The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
farmall

FEG Hi Power Clone Problem

Bought a basket case FEG HP clone a few weeks back. The previous owner had taken it completely apart and couldnt reassemble it. Upon putting it back together I found that the hammer will fall and catch on the half cock notch when the slide catch is released. Sometimes the safety will engage itself when this happens, sometimes not. The hammer and sear appear to have proper engagement, and have not been modified in any way. I checked all the trigger mechanism, all seems OK there. I did remove the magazine disconnect the last time, but it was doing this before I removed it. Is the trigger bar (vertical piece pivoted off the rear of trigger) supposed to have a slight bend sideways? This one does, and I'm wondering if he bent it, but I dont have one to compare it with.
If you manually pull and release the slide the hammer stays cocked, it only falls when the slide is released using the catch. I suppose it hits harder that way. Any ideas whats going on here?
Thanks
Andy
Old February 11, 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
BBBBill

Hipowers are very sensitive to proper sear spring tension. Assuming that the hammer hooks and sear are in good shape with proper geometry, yours may not have enough sear spring tension. Try bending it a bit to put a little more pressure on the sear.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The usual cause of that is someone doing a "trigger job" by reducing the full cock notch on the hammer. But on the BHP it can be caused by a couple of other things. Does the trigger lever (that vertical thing on the trigger) move forward properly against its spring? If it sticks, the sear might not be disconnecting properly. If it is bent, that may prevent proper movement so that when the slide goes forward the sear lever in the slide strikes it and disengages the sear.

Jim
Old February 13, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4
farmall

The sear spring is apparently weak. I bent it a bit and this has solved the problem. I'll get a new spring kit ordered before I shoot it. I've cycled the slide about 500 times (Wife's ready to kill me) with no failures of any sort. I must've over bent the spring, though, as the safety is harder to apply now.
Thanks for the help, guys.
Andy