The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 16, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1
KimberSmith

New York Arms Company Columbian Automatic

I have been unable to find any information concerning this revolver, the company or history it is not a pistol as embossed on the top strap / edge of the barrel?. A 5 shot double action, .32 short chamber. A true enigma?
Old February 17, 2007, 03:14 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The New York Arms Co. was in business around 1880-1900, but I have not seen much info on them. They may have been associated with Freeman Hood, who owned or had an interest in several gun companies, including the Hood Firearms Co.

The company is generally associated with the class of revolver called a "suicide special" but evidently they went upscale at some point to produce DA revolvers.

FWIW, the term "automatic", applied to a break top revolver in those days, mean automatic extraction, in other words the cartridges were ejected when the gun was opened rather than having to be poked out with an ejector rod or with a separate rod.

Jim
Old February 17, 2007, 06:17 PM   #3
KimberSmith

Thanks Jim

I appreciate the insight, it has set me on the right course for further research.