The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 09:29 AM   #26
RUT

>>If you had a gun here and its was stolen and you didn't have it properly secured in a safe. You would probably have your licence revoked.<<

Hmmm, I'm glad I don't live there, or Kalifornia for that matter.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:50 AM   #27
davidsoc

@ colorado redneck

unless the homeowner was charged, i dont see the unintendid consequences you are talking about.

that shot to the ass was probably a nice wake up call...getting so intoxicated that you wind up breaking in to a someones house is a big problem, her problem not the homeowners
Old February 9, 2013, 07:41 PM   #28
FireForged

Burglars will easily find it as they effectively toss the bedroom. Burglars realize that hidden is typically crafty as home owners think the are somehow smarter than the burglars. This method is also not very secure from children who will also find it. So..why?
Old February 9, 2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Why have to go the the closet if there is an intruder in your house? Isn't that what a night stand drawer is for? CCW out of my pants, into the night stand. Everything else locked up in the safe.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 10, 2013, 03:47 PM   #30
jad0110

I carry even while at home, but if I'm around the house all day I frequently stash an AR or M-1 Carbine on the top shelf under some pillows and blankets, keeping a 20 or 15 round mag (respectively) in my pocket. The AR stays on the top shelf covered up at night as well (keeping it out of reach of my 6 year old ... he has been "gun proofed" as well). Otherwise it is in the safe.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:36 PM   #31
dfsixstring

Hide a handgun in your closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsoc View Post
@ colorado redneck

unless the homeowner was charged, i dont see the unintendid consequences you are talking about.

that shot to the ass was probably a nice wake up call...getting so intoxicated that you wind up breaking in to a someones house is a big problem, her problem not the homeowners
I'm with davidsoc, I see no unintended consequences. She's darn lucky she's alive.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #32
Deaf Smith

If I was to hide a gun in the closet I'd do it this way.

Get a long mirror for the closet and at the back of the closet cut the sheetrock so, between the 2x4s, you can slip in a shotgun, rifle, or a few handguns, then put hinges so you can mount that mirror over the new gun hide.

Sink the hinges, and mount them on the 2x4s, so the mirror swings open to expose the guns. Use magnets to keep the mirror door closed.

That way, you have a good walk in mirror AND you can keep a long gun real handy.

Deaf
Old March 2, 2013, 10:28 PM   #33
basilisk4

Cute idea, but probably not particularly practical for the reasons several others mentioned. Maybe useful for a backup gun, although it seems more likely to be reached by small hands than some other potential hiding places.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Deaf Smith

Well basilisk,

If for a handgun just get a light switch junction box and find a good place in the bedroom to add anther light switch. Except this time just cut a place for the box in the sheetrock, imbed the switch box, and then put your snubby in it. Use magnets to keep the fake light switch face on.

Now do you think a burglar is gonna switch on and off every single light to see if they work?

Deaf
Old March 3, 2013, 07:37 AM   #35
basilisk4

Deaf Smith -- That's a good one. And if you just want to hide a rifle or shotgun, a false PVC pipe in the attic or basement will keep it safe. I know someone who used to hide valuables that way. But that's obviously not going to do much to make it accessible.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:39 PM   #36
FireForged

Deaf.. they had the "fake circuit box" back in the 90's. It was actually a very good hidden idea. I had one in my old house and when we moved out I showed it to the new owner who looked at me like I was crazy hahahah! I could get 3 handguns and a few boxes of ammo in there and it looked exactly like a typical breaker box (switches included).
Old March 5, 2013, 10:58 PM   #37
Deaf Smith

If you look around your house you can see such ideas as fake air vents, or fake radio, or false bottoms on trash cans, or.. well you see the idea.

If you have a very large DVD collection just go to a pawn shop and buy a 1 or 2 dollar DVD, throw away the DVD, and use the box to hide money or such. Then stuff it in with the rest of the DVDs.

And you see those plug in emergency lights you can put in a socket and if the electricity goes off they turn on? Well get the shell, a LED light and small battery, and a plastic wall socket cover. Then use it to hide a small gun. The LED light will be 'on' while the empty box is plugged in (with the wall socket covers instead of real brass plugs so no shock.)

Oh there are lots of ways!!

Deaf
Old March 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #38
chucknbach

Quote:
Seems like a good idea. Also seems like a Class B misdemeanor in TX if you have kids in the house and the police find out. Not trying to be rude...just saying. I know, I know. We all want our guns accessible. Please don't flame me for pointing that out :/
What's wrong with Texas? My kids have their own guns in their room.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:23 AM   #39
mrbatchelor

Hide a handgun in your closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
What's wrong with Texas? My kids have their own guns in their room.
Thank goodness some place is left with common sense. When we were kids no one cared that we would go out after school *WITH A SHOTGUN* sometimes. Or sometimes a .22. Nobody ever got shot. We didn't rob drug stores (or anyone else).

I'm sure somewhere in the country something went wrong and someone got hurt and died. But that doesn't make every child in America irresponsible, not even today.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:41 AM   #40
Sport45

Hide a handgun in your closet???

I'd have a hard time finding a handgun in mine.

And I know they're there...
Old March 6, 2013, 09:33 AM   #41
mrbatchelor

Re: Hide a handgun in your closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
Hide a handgun in your closet???

I'd have a hard time finding a handgun in mine.

And I know they're there...
Oh, you're married, too!

I love my wife.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:48 AM   #42
dieselbeef

walk into the closet..turn around and look at the wall or above your head...oppurtunities
Old March 6, 2013, 11:02 AM   #43
lcpiper

Beretta 85B on nightstand, Remington 870 Marine Magnum between the mattress and box-springs right under where I sleep. A .357 Ruger on top of the gun safe and a m1911 inside the valuables safe. A P238 on my computer desk.

Hmmm, did I miss anything?
Old March 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #44
I'vebeenduped

If someone breaks into my house, I already have a plan. I have just bought a mattress cover for this very reason. I am going to soil myself and simultaneously stick my finger down my throat. If this fails me, my backup weapon is an ink pen! My wife and kids can fend for themselves!

I am only kidding. These are great ideas! Thank you for the post!
Old April 3, 2013, 06:16 PM   #45
bt380

If a person can afford a cell phone, or cable tv, or big plasma tv, or several guns, etc, they can afford a decent 60 minute safe that can be bolted to a secure floor (steel plate under floor, concrete floor, etc, etc). Place everything in the safe except for a home defense weapon of choice. When you travel, rely on a security system that can be purchased for 280$ and 100$ more will get you a GSM dialer that uses a cell phone sim card (100$ a year for 1000 minutes that you won't use). The phone will call if an alarm is tripped. You can pay 100$ a year for some one else to monitor it. At night, the alarm will give you plenty of time to wake up and get your weapon if need be. Add a smoke detector and your home insurance cost will be reduced. Any break in gives some one 5-8 minutes before the police arrive at my residence. The biggest deterrent is the placards on all windows and small sign in both the front and back by doors to encourage thieves to go elsewhere for easier pickings.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #46
Ferretboy

"You should always be able to locate your clothes and your weapons in the dark." Robert Heinlein" I guess a Jeans Closet Holster kinda covers that huh?
Old April 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #47
Airborne Falcon

Pretty cool set-up, especially if your closet is your safe room for the family.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:22 PM   #48
rodfac

If hiding your HD gun is the intent, while still having it available to stop a home invasion, here are a few thoughts.

1. If it's to keep your kids or grandkids from knowing it's there. Forget it. Kids are nosy and they'll find it. Mine did, after I bet them $10 they couldn't. Took them less than two minutes to find it hanging from a nail on the inside of the closet's upper door sill. They admitted they already knew it was there...

2. If it's to hide it from a burglar, see item #1.

3. If you plan to run to the closet to get it, in time to prevent an attack, think again. It's too far from your bedside, and in a sleep muddled state of fear and confusion, you'll not get to it in time.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:29 PM   #49
Deaf Smith

If the hidden gun in the closet is locked, as in a safe, then even if the kids find it they will be hard put to access it. Same for thieves.

Think of a speed vault safe sunk into a sheet rock wall and covered with a full length mirror. Or the same safe with a coat hook above and a old sweater hanging over it.

And if it's there for those times when you hear a noise at night, and your closet is 'tactically' set up so it's easy to find, it works well.

Deaf
Old April 5, 2013, 07:47 AM   #50
2ndsojourn

lcpiper
"Hmmm, did I miss anything? "

I guess you sleep with the Kimber and the Bearcat?