The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Inspector3711

S&W 22A-1 Sport/Target Jamming

I picked up this pistol about a year ago. It has a 4 inch barrel with red dot sight and a 6 inch target barrel. I really enjoy shooting this piece but about every 2-3 clip loads I get a round that doesn't fire and it stays in the chamber. I've waited for a bit and then pulled the cartridge out but prying gently on the rim with my pocketknife. The rim always has a good dent in it from the pin. I've repeated this process 10-11 times now. The Remington and Peters ammo I'm using works flawlessly in my 10/22 so I'm sure it isn't a dud problem. It does seem to happen more often if I try to increase the rate of fire too much. Is this a firing pin issue or should I just try different ammo? My only other issue is that Smith used a fairly soft grade of epoxy on the 4" barrel which is black. I've handled it pretty carefully and keep it in it's case but there are still chips in the finish (never been holstered either). The 6" barrel (painted gray) seems to have a more durable finish.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Logs

Smith 22A

Funny you mentioned this. Last Sunday I had 7 rounds not go off with good primer strikes. I was using Remington ammo and took out the nose of a few of the bullets and it looked like the primer was not all the way around the rim. Today I went back to the range with Winchester ammo and didn't have any trouble.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Inspector3711

Thanks Logs... This has kept me from taking it out for awhile now. Not much fun when no workee. I probably should have posted in the handgun forum but I was in this one already so what the heck. Hopefully new ammo will help.